General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

Isn't it ironic that those who were beating the Tories up with the debt clock as they tried to sort the economy and get it on an even keel are now the same people advocating spending £hundreds of billions on planting trees, nationalising railways and a high speed broadband give away. Even the Nationalists who were goading the Tories claiming their economic measures in deficit reduction wasn't working just want to get their hands on their own credit cards so they can piss away more money than we could ever afford. 

We could have full fiscal autonomy, which, at least we would be making our own decisions.  As the status quo prevails, we have to watch the westminster boys club jizzing away squillions on mainly london and the south east, while we have to doff our cap and await the glorious lords, masters and overlords handing us our pocket money.

At least if we were the authors and drivers of our own destiny, this current subservience would be finished for good.  If it took a number of years for full adjustment to Independence to be realised, then i'd be happier treading in our own murky puddles, rather than being continually shat upon from a great height by westminster, whilst being held on a very tight leash.

I'm not interested in any of your copy and paste £12.6bn wanking material. You should be aware that, despite your self-proclaimed position as the oracle on all things Indy, there are many like me who have had enough of living in one of the non-equal countries in a "union of equal partners".    

24 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Great. 

You know what? Call me a wuss, but I would rather we spent 5% less and taxed 5% more, than end up playing nuclear strike chicken with China.

But you're talking 50% not five, for decades.  It's not feasible.

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
3 hours ago, oaksoft said:
It's £48 billion every year I believe.
That sounds pretty onerous to me. Think about what else we could do with that.
Now consider Corbyn's idea of massively increasing the debt and that subsequent repayment fee.
I agree about growth being the only way out of this but you can't rely on it.
Also, we've been downgraded at least once since 2014 and I am sure I heard we were in line for another downgrade. ETA. Noticed you just said that as well.

It's a big sounding number but it's only a few percent of GDP.

It is a big number. About 5% of al gov spending. Two thirds of all Education spend. One third of all Health spend. As much as defence. More than Public Order & Safety. More than Housing. More than Social Services. Twice what we spend on Transport. And this is just to tread water and pay the interest only.

Dominic Rabb's a c**t pass it on.....     

https://news.sky.com/story/harry-dunn-foreign-secretary-dominic-raab-defends-seeking-legal-costs-from-family-11865519

6 minutes ago, Kuro said:

But you're talking 50% not five, for decades.  It's not feasible.

Why? Gov spends £800bn pa. And is currently paying £48bn pa interest. So take an extra £40bn tax and spend £40bn less and you can pay down £32bn debt pa. For decades, admittedly.

Since we’re talking China - the longest journey starts with a single step...

14 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Why? Gov spends £800bn pa. And is currently paying £48bn pa interest. So take an extra £40bn tax and spend £40bn less and you can pay down £32bn debt pa. For decades, admittedly.

Since we’re talking China - the longest journey starts with a single step...

That would take seventy years, seventy years of austerity and stagnant growth.  It's not feasible, the debt will never be paid off.

46 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Important to add that the debt sharply rose in 2008 to save the fucking banks and no c**t went to jail.

That is a disgraceful state of affairs, and yet has largely been glossed over in the mainstream discussions.

11 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

On last nights debate, the bojo clown stated proudly that he had "shelved" plans to cut corporation tax, and this apparently means there will be an extra £7 bn to spend on the NHS.  

I don't think so, it remains the same status quo.  It is a bit like your employer saying they were going to cut your pay in half,  but decided not to, and the good news is you now have 50% more income to pay your household bills with.  

More bullshit from the tory scum.

I think this is fair. Tory spending plans are already in place for the next few years so on that basis it's an increase.

The real issue is that the entire hierarchy of right wing arseholes constantly say that cutting corporation tax increases revenues but Boris has just admitted that's bullshit.

2 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Isn't it ironic that those who were beating the Tories up with the debt clock as they tried to sort the economy and get it on an even keel are now the same people advocating spending £hundreds of billions on planting trees, nationalising railways and a high speed broadband give away. Even the Nationalists who were goading the Tories claiming their economic measures in deficit reduction wasn't working just want to get their hands on their own credit cards so they can piss away more money than we could ever afford.

Funny how the more inequality there is, the faster that debt figure shoots up. Where is all the "trickle down" economics that the tories preach about?

54 minutes ago, Stinky Bone said:

On last nights debate, the bojo clown stated proudly that he had "shelved" plans to cut corporation tax, and this apparently means there will be an extra £7 bn to spend on the NHS.  

I don't think so, it remains the same status quo.  It is a bit like your employer saying they were going to cut your pay in half,  but decided not to, and the good news is you now have 50% more income to pay your household bills with.  

More bullshit from the tory scum.

Ke6Dlqyrfs0ZXGgHLxj6-NWgRpk=.gif

3 hours ago, Kuro said:

That would take seventy years, seventy years of austerity and stagnant growth.  It's not feasible, the debt will never be paid off.

Well, thanks to compound interest, less than half that. But I take your point - a long time. Although, just a bit more tax and a bit less spending would do it. 

I think this is fair. Tory spending plans are already in place for the next few years so on that basis it's an increase.
The real issue is that the entire hierarchy of right wing arseholes constantly say that cutting corporation tax increases revenues but Boris has just admitted that's bullshit.
It does in Ireland

5 hours ago, hearthammer said:

We could have full fiscal autonomy, which, at least we would be making our own decisions.  As the status quo prevails, we have to watch the westminster boys club jizzing away squillions on mainly london and the south east, while we have to doff our cap and await the glorious lords, masters and overlords handing us our pocket money.

At least if we were the authors and drivers of our own destiny, this current subservience would be finished for good.  If it took a number of years for full adjustment to Independence to be realised, then i'd be happier treading in our own murky puddles, rather than being continually shat upon from a great height by westminster, whilst being held on a very tight leash.

I'm not interested in any of your copy and paste £12.6bn wanking material. You should be aware that, despite your self-proclaimed position as the oracle on all things Indy, there are many like me who have had enough of living in one of the non-equal countries in a "union of equal partners".    

You can try to ignore the £12.6Bn deficit all you want, but it hangs over Scottish Independence like a boulder over Road Runner. What would you cut and how much more would you tax to achieve your ideological goal of Scottish Independence, and equality that means we are all much, much worse off. 

3 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

Funny how the more inequality there is, the faster that debt figure shoots up. Where is all the "trickle down" economics that the tories preach about?

It's funny how in Communist systems like the one in the Soviet Union, Cuba, or North Korea where the mantra is complete equality - that it also comes with extreme levels of poverty. 

I have little concern for how much those who generate this countries vast wealth earns compared to myself. My concern is for me and my immediate family and I can vouch for the fact that all of my immediate family are significantly more wealthy than my parents, grandparents and great grandparents ever were. 

3 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

You can try to ignore the £12.6Bn deficit all you want, but it hangs over Scottish Independence like a boulder over Road Runner. What would you cut and how much more would you tax to achieve your ideological goal of Scottish Independence, and equality that means we are all much, much worse off. 

We're currently being shafted royally by westminster and kept to heel by the tories, therefore i'd much prefer to have our own controls and our own debt management.  If it's remaining as westminster's lapdog and suffering more severe austerity similar to what we've been experiencing, or fighting our own struggle for fiscal parity within Scotland, i'd much prefer to fly solo.

You won't agree with your entrenched unionist mindset, but as a former Labour voter, i have a vision for a free and self-determining country that will be more beneficial for my children and their children.  The alternative is a draconian and subservient existence at the behest of the westminster illuminati.