General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

I teach this topic to my higher class.

Churchill agreed to implement the Beveridge report but wasn't particularly clear or definitive on the matter. The Labour party absolutely were.

And it was mainly a conservative labour coalition, not liberal Tory. The fact that Beveridge himself was a liberal may have thrown you.

The conservative party actually voted against the implementation of the NHS, proving that the public were right to doubt their commitment.

Also worth pointing out that Churchill famously compared Labour's 1945 platform to "the Gestapo". Which, understandably, didn't go down too well with voters.  The idea that the Tories, who have always been about private wealth 1st, 2nd and 3rd, would have introduced a fully state-owned health service is laughable. 

2 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Was talktalk, just migrated to sky not so long ago. But that is immaterial really - like I said in my earlier post, you can fibre all you want up to the exchange box but if the last stage is in a 30/40yo copper phone line, there’s your choke point.

Hello to the eight percent then.

Absolutely nothing will change. 200 of them could’ve died last night and it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference.

People aren’t interested in holding this government to account. I’ve seen far more analysis, both from punters on social media and media, of Labour’s plan to give people free broadband that just about any Tory failure in the past nine years.

People don’t care. Out means out, Corbyn is Stalin and Boris is trying his best.

The Brexit Party not standing will seriously dent the SNP's hopes of 50 plus seats. I would have went with most of the Tory seats going back to the SNP if the Brexit mob were standing, but sitting out the Tory seats will probably be enough to keep the Tories home.  BP are standing in Wishart's seat, so that is surely welcome news for the SNP and considering the Greens withdrew their candidate too. 

UKIP are standing 7 candidates and in 2 handy constituencies from an SNP perspective : Moray and Ochill/South Perthshire. Yes, the Kippers are a busted flush, but surely a few mad LEAVE MEANS LEAVE types fizzing at the UK still being in the EU may well vote for them ; and/or folk who mistake them for the Brexit Party.

More wishful thinking than anything, but West Aberdeen/Kincardine was once a Lib Dem seat then went SNP in 15 and Tories in 17. If there are enough fed up Tories who are pro-Remain or unionist Libs go back to the LDs then it might well let the SNP in the back door. I doubt it, but you never know.

Turnout - will SNP get some of those 2015 voters back? Tories won in 17 on the back of a 'We said No' etc ; it´s their only tactic and going for it again, but will it work this time? Considering the shambles of Brexit and in 2017 Brexit whilst shambolic was nowhere near the train wreck it is today. 

SNP 44 

Tories 7

Libs 6

Labour 2

PS Utterly depressing the media's analysis of Labour´s broadband scheme. I think its a brilliant idea, and hardly a gauge of forward thinking but heard a bit of LBC discussing it and just truly depressing, the amount of selfish, arrogant arseholes in the UK.

Edited by Kejan

16 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If Elon Musk's and other projects for satellite based broadband come to fruition, the whole exercise of giving superfast broadband to the last cottage on Barra could end up being a lot cheaper. We might not be able to see the stars anymore though, through analogue eyes anyway.

Exactly this.

Space X have already started launching their starlink internet satellites into orbit this year and will be up and running very soon. They will provide global fast internet to their subscribers. 

The proposals by the politicians be old technologies long before they  will ever implemented ( if indeed they are, which I have my doubts). This is especially true in rural areas.

28 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50403154

Boris is the most popular leader. Or least unpopular. This just shows how utterly shit the others are. A wee bitty 'BBC bias' by not including Blackford or Sturgeon? It's as if Scotland is unimportant to them. 

It annoys me the way they keep defending it by saying that the SNP aren't UK wide. None of the parties are, apart from maybe the Green Party.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

Exactly this.

Space X have already started launching their starlink internet satellites into orbit this year and will be up and running very soon. They will provide global fast internet to their subscribers. 

The proposals by the politicians be old technologies long before they  will ever implemented ( if indeed they are, which I have my doubts). This is especially true in rural areas.

And 5G in the cities. Though Starlink could just make it cheaper for a Labour Government to fulfil its 10 year promise. 

Because tax cuts actually have proven to generate more revenue for the UK economy, whilst increased taxation - like the one the SNP imposed on Scottish workers - often fail to raise as much as was forecast whilst rescuing the banks, as unaffordable as it was, left the UK Government with a large shareholding in two of the worlds biggest banks which have gradually been sold off to recoup the initial outlay whilst ensuring that our country continued to run with a high degree of social stability. 

Assuming you are not a bot, here's a suggestion for you. Have a read at a coruscating article by Kevin McKenna in today's Herald. You might learn where a lot of us on here are coming from.

4 hours ago, tbsouth said:

Absolutely no chance of that happening, the SNP bad stories are already making headline news every night.

Nan, you're all being too pessimistic. Even the most Hitleresque levels of propaganda can't paper over the cracks of the "union" anymore. The SNP are going to romp this.