General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

If they pal up with Farage too much they're going to drive away any remaining moderate Tories. They aren't mentioned much but I suspect there's quite a lot.

Doubt it. When they "palled" up with the DUP the "moderates" remained. Farage is more palaitable than Arleen Foster 

Vast majority of people haven't been taking part in EU elections and haven't had one fucking clue what the relationship is. Sadly, they're non the wiser as Tory Britain has conditioned the idiot masses to believe its someone else's fault for the state of the country.

19 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

What the f**k do Tories know about homeless? The square root of f**k all. Utterly f**k all. Tories serve only themselves and nothing more, they care not one shit for anyone but themselves and maximizing economy "efficiency".

I heard from a good authority on here that you are a tory that hates the homeless ;)

Seems a growing number of Brexit candidates who have given Nigel their dosh and spent heavily on campaign materials etc, only to be told to stand down, will be standing as independents anyway. The Real Brexit Party? Continuity Brexit?

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I find it utterly bizarre that if asked 5 years ago about their thoughts on the EU, half of Brexit voters would struggle to tell the basic concept of what the EU is.

The morons have been brainwashed by the media.

EU membership has waxed and waned in terms of UK support but it has always been a major news story and often the public have favoured leaving. 

eu-stay-in-or-get-out-trend-oct-2014.png

Worth pointing out that the end of that graph is circa 2014 when Cameron was promising his "renegotiation".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35622105

If anything the false expectations raised by him to make his life easier with his backbenchers helped stoke the disappointment that fuelled more EU skepticism. 

And most people think those who disagree with them politically are to one degree or another "morons brainwashed by the media". 

1 hour ago, Malky3 said:

Doubt it. When they "palled" up with the DUP the "moderates" remained. Farage is more palaitable than Arleen Foster 

Your average voter knows nothing about Arlene Foster. To most, she's a regional lunatic and is just really known as being a staunch unionist. Nigel Farage is the biggest figure in British Politics, there's no hiding from that and everyone has an opinion of that.

Around 40% of the Tory vote in 2015 voted to remain. If just a fraction of that actively voted Lib Dem or even stayed at home, perceiving a more extreme position, it could be devastating and possibly more than negate the losses people are projecting for Labour.

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I find it utterly bizarre that if asked 5 years ago about their thoughts on the EU, half of Brexit voters would struggle to tell the basic concept of what the EU is.

I can understand a lot of the criticisms of the EU, but when you see folk on TV who say leaving the EU will help deal with illegal immigrants, you realise that they don't have a fucking clue what is actually going on here, they have simply been convinced that the declining standards in the UK are the fault of someone else, and not government after government in Downing Street.

1 minute ago, harry94 said:

Around 40% of the Tory vote in 2015 voted to remain. If just a fraction of that actively voted Lib Dem or even stayed at home, perceiving a more extreme position, it could be devastating and possibly more than negate the losses people are projecting for Labour.

I've been thinking this for a while, none of the pundits or pollsters seem to think it's an issue. The idea that all Tories are swivel eyed Brexit extremists like the paid up members, including recent far right entryists, is way off the mark.

You are wasting your time. I've tried explaining to them that there has never been a time in human history in any country under any form of government where this problem has not existed. 
I've realised that they don't want to debate or discuss. They don't even want to hear reasonable suggestions like the one I suggested on another thread about how to improve your skills and job prospects for free. What they seem to want to do is simply vent their anger and frustration. This part of the forum is simply for sounding off. I can only assume that some of the advice is hitting a bit close to home and they are seeing themselves as being personally attacked. That's why neither of us is getting anywhere.

Talking to yourself is a sign of madness.

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

You'll still get some silly old tosser who will eat her words up. Beggers belief the amount of sheer stupidity and polarized voting intentions people have.

I learned very quickly how thick the British electorate are.

You can literally get millions of turkeys to vote for Xmas.

If some parties had a policy to kill your spouse and kids in there manifesto I still believe they'd get votes.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've been thinking this for a while, none of the pundits or pollsters seem to think it's an issue. The idea that all Tories are swivel eyed Brexit extremists like the paid up members, including recent far right entryists, is way off the mark.

I would say that the 40% you mention are far more likely to vote Tory and take Brexit than they are to switch to the Lib Dems and risk Labour getting a sniff of power.

Edited by Ross.

3 hours ago, EH75 said:

Conversation with the mother in law recently. I live in England. This is a woman who works 50 hours a week in 2 jobs to make ends meet, doesn't own her own home and I suspect has little in the way of pension provision. I didn't get out of her who she will be voting for but she won't be voting for Labour because Corbyn "terrifies" her. 

The way things are going, in the future no 'ordinary' person will own anything. Everything will be rented. Everything, right down to the clothes you are wearing. It's a return to the  'company store'    No, really. Think about it.

3 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

I don't believe much has changed in the intervening years.

I know  I'm not a moron.   The morons don't realise they are morons.  :)    

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I would say that the 40% you mention are far more likely to vote Tory and take Brexit than they are to switch to the Lib Dems and risk Labour getting a sniff of power.

I was thinking more like 20% and especially in Lib Dem/Tory marginals. Most people don't vote tactically.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was thinking more like 20% and especially in Lib Dem/Tory marginals. Most people don't vote tactically.

I reckon at worst, some of them will just refuse to vote. I'd be astonished if anything like half of them vote for someone else.

Edited by Ross.

16 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Revisionist pish you say?

If you're going to invent an edgy internet persona you should try and keep your story consistent

Dear oh dear. 

If you were born in say 1967, you'd still be a teenager by 1986 - and very definitely still growing up yet incredibly your age would be higher than the average IQ of Dundee United fans on Pie and Bovril. 

Idiot!  

26 minutes ago, Arabdownunder said:

Revisionist pish you say?

If you're going to invent an edgy internet persona you should try and keep your story consistent

That's unfair, Malky was keeping a keen eye on the sectarian and political scene as a toddler.

On 09/08/2019 at 16:51, Malky3 said:

I've said before that I am quite long in the tooth, and sadly I've seen all this nonsense before. Back in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up the SNP were seen by many in the West Of Scotland as being a party for Catholics. It's kind of sad to see that after nearly 60 years Scottish politics hasn't really changed. In the last few posts some Nationalist dinosaurs have decided to lump all who fail to follow the Nationalist Cult as Freemasons, Orange Order, protestant, Rangers Supporting Royalists. 

I had hoped that in the modern Scotland we were making some progress towards eradicating sectarianism when in 2012 we saw the Offensive Behaviour at Football Act passed into law unopposed but by 2018 the SNP had repealed the Act, and on these pages we can see why. It's sad really but it seems the Nationalist Cult needs to sow division on any grounds whatsoever to gain traction for their cause. 

Edited by welshbairn