General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Lib Dem poll surge over the past 6 months or so is probably due to leading questions. Ask what Brexit outcome the person wants, ask which party they feel is closest to their view then ask who they intend to vote for.

It's the same thing with Corbyn. Yougov ask questions about Anti Semitism in the Labour Party then ask if someone approves of Corbyn.

5 hours ago, btb said:

Sinn Fein (!) & SDLP both to step down in 3 NI seats to avoid splitting the Remain vote, last week the Lib-Dems made agreements with the Greens & Plaid Cymru.

Out of the Remain parties it seems only the SNP are "untouchables".

Regardless of your thoughts on tactical voting/standing aside in general, it doesn’t really make sense for the SNP to be forming pacts with anyone.

In every constituency the Tories hold the SNP are the main challengers with the Lib Dems and Labour being a total afterthought (with the exception of East Renfrewshire, where the SNP are still second) and in every constituency Labour or the Lib Dems hold the SNP are the main challengers. There’s not really anything to gain through an alliance in these circumstances.

They could guarantee themselves East Renfrewshire if Labour stood aside but returning the favour by standing aside elsewhere would only be doing themselves out of a winnable seat elsewhere, same if they stood aside for the Lib Dems anywhere. The Northern Isles is the only constituency in Scotland where the SNP aren’t seriously in contention and the Tories have no chance there either. Why bother costing themselves a shot at East Dunbartonshire just to let the Lib Dems win a seat they’d win anyway?

There’s no logic in an anti-Tory pact for any of the three parties and considering the Unionist angle, there’s no guarantee such pacts would always go in the SNP’s favour anyway.

Edited by Dunning1874

I would loove it if Swinson did get on the debates. She will 100% make an arse of herself.

I have no faith in his ability to run a party or country but I’d be surprised if Corbyn doesn’t comfortably win the debates. He’ll do pretty well over the next few weeks but won’t overcome the massive gap he’s left himself.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
22 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:
A strange response to a response you made about Parties stepping aside?
There's going to be no replacement of FPTP before Dec 12th. So why whinge about how unfair it is?

Can Rick Wakeman, jacksgranda and I join in here guys ?

I'm out (of whatever it is I've just stumbled into).

2 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

FPTP throws up results like 4million votes for UKIP but one seat from 4 million votes. 

Oh for f**k Sake, PR, it's a can of worms

Thing is, you hardly ever get enough c***s in one constituency to elect an ubercunt. But across the country there are millions of c***s. Better to keep FPTP and keep them apart.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thing is, you hardly ever get enough c***s in one constituency to elect an ubercunt. But across the country there are millions of c***s. Better to keep FPTP and keep them apart.

The constituency one place north from me elected David Mundell.  

I rest my case. 

1 hour ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

That's leaving an awful lot to chance. 

Put it this way, there are a few c***s in Inverness who would vote for an utter c**t like Jim Ferguson-Hannah, but they're a tiny minority and he'll almost certainly lose his deposit. Join these few c***s' votes with other miserable fucked up c***s in tiny minorities in other constituencies around the country, and you get enough c**t votes in a Party List system to elect an utter c**t like Jim. It's a terrible idea. Green candidates should automatically get given any seat from a retiring, deceased or convicted MP to make everything fair though. They're not c***s in the most part.

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Put it this way, there are few c***s in Inverness who would vote for an utter c**t like Jim Ferguson-Hannah, but they're a tiny minority and he'll almost certainly lose his deposit. Join these few c***s' votes with other miserable fucked up c***s in tiny minorities in other constituencies around the country, and you get enough c**t votes in a Party List system to elect an utter c**t like Jim. It's a terrible idea. Green candidates should automatically get given any seat from a retiring, deceased or convicted MP to make everything fair though. They're not c***s in the most part.

Yeah, I see the point your'e making. But being realistic, what's your viable alternative?

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Put it this way, there are few c***s in Inverness who would vote for an utter c**t like Jim Ferguson-Hannah, but they're a tiny minority and he'll almost certainly lose his deposit. Join these few c***s' votes with other miserable fucked up c***s in tiny minorities in other constituencies around the country, and you get enough c**t votes in a Party List system to elect an utter c**t like Jim. It's a terrible idea. Green candidates should automatically get given any seat from a retiring, deceased or convicted MP to make everything fair though. They're not c***s in the most part.

They're probably not c***s, And they probably should. And I've probably completely and utterly missed the obvious joke/irony/sarcasm you've inserted there. 

9 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Yeah, I see the point your'e making. But being realistic, what's your viable alternative?

It's been decades since I did Modern Studies and learnt about all the different systems, and I haven't kept up or remember. There must be a better system than ours, but if there is we better start learning how to cope with minority governments and making compromises. Maybe having the Commons FPTP and the Lords Regional PR with more power, bit like Germany? tbh I'm ignorant about this stuff. (the greens bit was to cover up for the obvious flaw in my logic, FPTP keeps the deserving good people out of power too.)