General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With this being a Christmas election, I'd like to think that the folk at the polling stations will be dressed as elves and there will be tinsel wrapped around the ballot box. If not then it's all just a waste of fucking time.
I hope everyone on here has a lovely election Christmas and when Santa empties his sack, you get the MP you wished for.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
14 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:
I mean, he's only the current Secretary of State for Scotland, but I can't find any evidence of him tweeting. 

This reminds me of the previous one. That floor licking weasel fluffy getting dumped would be superb...

Remainers swinging from Tory to Lib Dem might do it? Will be interesting to see how tactical voting works this and whether it goes to mainly being about stopping the Tories.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

15 hours ago, dorlomin said:

...For the energy sector, why bother?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_bubble

You are going to be forced to pay for a bubble....

Bizarre stuff. Until the issue of how to store energy for when the wind doesn't blow is sorted out in the absence of the terrain needed for pump-storage hydro on the required scale, renewables in the UK will have to be backed up by gas powered stations. A baseload from fossil fuels and/or nuclear will also be needed to keep the grid stable.

Sinn Fein (!) & SDLP both to step down in 3 NI seats to avoid splitting the Remain vote, last week the Lib-Dems made agreements with the Greens & Plaid Cymru.

Out of the Remain parties it seems only the SNP are "untouchables".

Report on Russian interference on the Brexit referendum pulled until after the GE.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

Coupla questions

1. Does it really matter, do many people change their minds due to the targeted internet I assume was the focus of the investigation?
  2.  Does anyone really think we don't do similar during other countries elections although no doubt on a smaller scale.

the parties are obviously entitled to do what they want but I don't like this stepping aside.  It feels like gaming the system for one issue when a general election should be about more than that.

They're denying people a proper choice between all the competing parties.  

1 minute ago, tirso said:

the parties are obviously entitled to do what they want but I don't like this stepping aside.  It feels like gaming the system for one issue when a general election should be about more than that.

They're denying people a proper choice between all the competing parties.  

If we had a fairer voting system then it wouldn’t happen.  We have ditched FPTP for all elections other than this one.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Sinn Fein (!) & SDLP both to step down in 3 NI seats to avoid splitting the Remain vote, last week the Lib-Dems made agreements with the Greens & Plaid Cymru.

Out of the Remain parties it seems only the SNP are "untouchables".

SF and SDLP doing that has nothing to do with Remain.

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If we had a fairer voting system then it wouldn’t happen.  We have ditched FPTP for all elections other than this one.

I understand that but essentially all you need to do is convince the people to vote for you more than the other guy.  This is all about voting against, not for sometihng which I don't like.  Naive sure but how i feel.

They should have the strength of their conviction and it shows no fight to win in a constituency.  There's a world of a difference between plaid and the Lib Dems on many issues and this is a general election.  Put it this way, I'm glad the SNP aren't doing it.

The Scottish parliament system seems about right.  Wouldn't want to lose the individual MP per constituency element to representation.

Polling is showing a squeeze on LibDems and BP, with Tory lead starting to narrow. Latest has Labour on over 30% for the first time in months. It's feeling a bit like groundhog day and the starting gun just fired. Can see Labour hitting 35% + over the next few weeks which if maintained will probably be enough to prevent a Tory majority. 😁

https://www.icmunlimited.com/our-work/icm-voting-intentions-poll-general-election-2019/

1 hour ago, tirso said:

I understand that but essentially all you need to do is convince the people to vote for you more than the other guy.  This is all about voting against, not for sometihng which I don't like.  Naive sure but how i feel.

They should have the strength of their conviction and it shows no fight to win in a constituency.  There's a world of a difference between plaid and the Lib Dems on many issues and this is a general election.  Put it this way, I'm glad the SNP aren't doing it.

The Scottish parliament system seems about right.  Wouldn't want to lose the individual MP per constituency element to representation.

Definitely agree with this bit, having a local rep in Westminster to complain to and hopefully fight your cause is a big thing, not keen at all on the party list. They should have had a separate ballot on leave on Johnson's deal or remain in this election, a lot of people will be voting purely on the Brexit issue so I have sympathy for parties collaborating to make that possible in this hopefully unique situation. 

21 minutes ago, Bedford White said:

Polling is showing a squeeze on LibDems and BP, with Tory lead starting to narrow. Latest has Labour on over 30% for the first time in months. It's feeling a bit like groundhog day and the starting gun just fired. Can see Labour hitting 35% + over the next few weeks which if maintained will probably be enough to prevent a Tory majority. 😁

https://www.icmunlimited.com/our-work/icm-voting-intentions-poll-general-election-2019/

A hung Parliament is the best we can hope for, I hope it happens.

If so a further referendum will be the only option.  Certain MPs will be kicking and screaming at this reality.

In the event of a hung Parliament here is two predictions:

Labour may/will regret not having deselected some absolute arsehole MPs.

Swinson will still act as if she has/should have far more power and influence than she actually does.

That's a good shout about Swinson. I really hope their polling continues to dip lower and lower once folk start to see and hear Jo Swinson.

The Libs were on about 20-24% a few weeks/months ago and are now from the past 5-6 polls averaging 14-17%.