General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Eh, she already is, Shirley? Scum, Labour, SNP, Yellow Scum. I agree it will be nice to see all their temp/agency mps disappear after they've plundered the coffers for their campaign expenses. I can see them in single figures - la Swinson not necessarily being one of them.

I should have said fourth again.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

"These comments were made off the cuff"

Oh, fair enough. Everyone knows that a person's actual thoughts and feelings are of little importance in comparison to what's written for them in party materials.

On 01/11/2019 at 20:52, Highland Capital said:

I see Pete Wishart isn't very happy that his 'independence comrades' (his words) the Greens are intending on running a candidate in Perth.

Wishart’s complaints about his small majority are somewhat diminished by the reality that when the Greens last stood he had a majority of over 9000, and when that fell to 21 in 2017 the Greens weren’t standing and the main issue was dropping 5500 himself with a lower turnout.

If he mobilises his own vote he wins, and that’s true of the SNP in the majority of Scottish constituencies. Bleating about other parties choosing to stand reeks of 00s Scottish Labour and more importantly sounds like getting excuses in early. If they run a good campaign which gets their voters turning up they can win 50+, but it’s up to them to prevent apathy in their base and ensure that their supporters are turning out with the same enthusiasm as 2015.

Do we know who’s co-ordinating the election campaign for the SNP this time?

I spent some time reading the twitter account of the Tory candidate for my area this week and learned quite a bit about the SNP manifesto. I learned nothing about the Tory manifesto so I went to Douglas Ross' twitter, being the only other Tory I know of up here, as well to see if I could learn more than just 'Get Brexit done' instead I learned of SNP's manifesto again. The Tories up here are pedalling nothing but anti-SNP propaganda and are really wasting a lot of time and effort in doing so. SNP vote for me in order to oust the slimy self-centred Tory we currently have in place. 

3 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Lets start with railways. Labours current vague plans to wholly nationalise the rail ways comes into direct conflict with the incoming Fourth Railway Plan in the EU that comes into force in 2023, that is to say all European countries will have to open up their rail services to a bidding system. 

Hopefully that'll mean we can privatise our railways from the Dutch government.

The usual bullshitters spouting the same rhetoric and bull here in the politics forum. 

Lets start with railways. Labours current vague plans to wholly nationalise the rail ways comes into direct conflict with the incoming Fourth Railway Plan in the EU that comes into force in 2023, that is to say all European countries will have to open up their rail services to a bidding system. 

Then there is the energy sector, many fossil fuel based electricity producers are facing serious write downs and losses. Carbon prices, large combustion plant directive and and mandated preferred purchasing of renewable\low carbon energy sources means existing fossil fuel plants are struggling to sell at the volumes intended and this is hurting across Europe. Any attempted purchase would be locked up in court battles using bilateral trade agreements for foreign ownership of shares and the right to property under the European human rights act to prevent what they would see as expropriation of assets but those "assets" will be becoming liabilities as we continue to decarbonise. Here again the 1980s promises to roll back Thatcherism are out of date. For the energy sector, why bother?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_bubble

You are going to be forced to pay for a bubble. 

The stupidity here is there are ways around this without the out moded thinking. 

Directly Operated Railways Ltd. (DOR) [1] was a holding company set up by the Department for Transport in the United Kingdom in July 2009 to operate rail franchises should it become necessary to bring them into public ownership.[2] From November 2015, its function was taken over by the Department for Transport, who set up DfT OLR Holdings Limited to carry out that function. A partnership of Arup Group, Ernst & Young and SNC-Lavalin Rail & Transit were appointed temporarily to support them in that function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directly_Operated_Railways

Simply beefing up the state owned train operator to work as a public interest company and slowly defacto nationalise the system (other than the fuckwit ROSCOs). Virtually no cost, compliant with EU regulation but not as easily shared on Instagram. The difference between a clever policy and one for attention seeking imbeciles. 

Why do we need to buy soon to be redundant electric  generating assets and pay money to foreign investors at court determined values when all we need to do is set up a a not for profit generating supplier to build new renewable capacity. 

This is why I do not really live in the "modern world". Labour are run by clowns obsessed by trying to rebuild the 1970s but too stupid and too lazy to look at details of the consequences of their policy choices. . 

We could have far more state ownership in the railways and energy companies by taking is slower and more clever. But clever is not what the corbynbots value. 

Edited by dorlomin

This is what they do down my way in London too. Was actually having this conversation this morning with someone about canvassers. Tories come to your door and either post fliers through or give a spiel about what everyone else is doing. They're absolute shitebags. This area had been Chukas stronghold so I expect the Tories will be out to try and grab it via said shitebaggery.

I spent some time reading the twitter account of the Tory candidate for my area this week and learned quite a bit about the SNP manifesto. I learned nothing about the Tory manifesto so I went to Douglas Ross' twitter, being the only other Tory I know of up here, as well to see if I could learn more than just 'Get Brexit done' instead I learned of SNP's manifesto again. The Tories up here are pedalling nothing but anti-SNP propaganda and are really wasting a lot of time and effort in doing so. SNP vote for me in order to oust the slimy self-centred Tory we currently have in place. 

2 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

My local Tory MP doesn't seem to be on Twitter. Is he hiding?

Richard Seymour wrote this about Farage the other day:
"However, as I say, Farage doesn’t calibrate his decisions like “normal” politicians. He is a wrecker as a matter of methodological principle. He knows that Boris Johnson’s standing is weak and that, in six months’ time, the Brexit discontents will be bubbling away once again: whoever wins the election, and whatever deal is achieved. That’s a given. Farage’s job is to organise and politically harden the minority who are already disenchanted, in preparation for resuming the nationalist insurgency."
And
"This is another sense in which Farage operates slightly differently from mainstream politicians. He is not primarily out to win the election, and never has been. He may want to win seats, but his ambition is broader than that. He is out to shift the entire balance of political forces further to the right. He is, in politics as in finance, not out to build a corporate monument, but to exploit moments of vulnerability and volatility. He has alighted on the format of the Brexit Party, a corporation with a lot of decision-making speed, as the best instrument for doing so. To that extent, it would have been more surprising if Farage had not used this tool to achieve maximum chaos now, even if in the short-run it could split the right-wing vote."
This.

It's in his interests that Boris fails.

First step for this is another hung Parliament.

I dunno.  Maybe climate change happens quicker than expected and that part of England sinks beneath the waves.  You might hope.
What I do like is that East Anglia* is flat as fùck, and averages a few feet above sea level.

* Population several hundred thousand, surnames four.

On 01/11/2019 at 13:45, welshbairn said:

We're one of the lowest taxed countries in Europe, plenty of scope for those who can afford it to contribute a bit more. Bit out of date but a good indication:

800px-Payroll_and_income_tax_by_country.

This doesn't show personal taxation.  Quite clearly the company element of this taxation is significantly lower in the UK than most countries.  If you removed the employer element then we would move up that graph significantly.

Using taxation on average earnings does not show that those that can afford it are not already contributing significantly more than the average.

Edited by strichener

14 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I, too, have a Tory MP 'representing' Banff & Buchan.  3 flyers already through the letterbox since the announcement of an election.  All Tory. All proclaiming voting for the Tories is the only way to stop Independence in my constituency.

In all fairness the last one did mention fish and farming,( but that is normal for this neck of the woods), and we know what the Tories have done for both.

Nothing.

My MP's name is David Duguid. Part of the bakers dozen who have voted for Brexit against the wishes of their constituents.

More than enough reason to get shot of them on December 12.