General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

Agreed.

Not sure what it would look like, but it would surely be a better gauge of "rich" than just what people declare as taxable salary.

Here they apply it on anything you have that is worth over 100k. The rate varies from canton to canton and it’s only applied to assets owned outright. So if you have 150k in the bank, you pay it, but if you have a house worth 1.5m that has a mortgage outstanding, you don’t pay it. Makes for an interesting view on house ownership, as most people never want to pay off their mortgage. Generally means that every 10 years or so they will borrow more and spend it on upgrades and renovations, which gets money circulating. Never hear a complaint about it.

19 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

For me Question Time is almost unwatchable now.  Very similar to the Jeremy Kyle show - if you got something to say then adopt an outraged tone before you say it.  Depressing.

I hardly bother anymore but there's little more psychically satisfying than when some Tory c**t launches into a tirade expecting applause and gets crickets.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 hours ago, Romeo said:
Just watched Richard Leonard launch the manifesto on the news there.

Is there a duller, more boring, sleep inducing, vanilla politician?

James Kelly, come on down.

When I hear Kelly speak it’s hard to believe he is not a parody.

Being honest I'm not sure I've got a lot of sympathy with the plight of the guy in the article. 
I don't know what has led to his situation where the kids mother is no longer around and he can't count on any support from either set of grandparents, but regardless of his situation sitting around waiting on a government to fix it for him is utterly pointless. There are literally loads of things he could do to better his situation but it reads to me like he's decided there are no jobs available in Blackpool so as a result he should just get benefits and rely on charity to help feed his kids. 
To cite one example, one of my youngest sons friends found himself in a bad situation when his young wife died months after giving birth to his baby daughter. His parents were working but he was able initially to do night shifts at Tesco whilst his parents looked after his daughter through the night and to try to make a bit more money he decided to start making some candles that he could sell to friends and family. Within 6 months he was doing well enough with the candles that he was able to give up the night shift job and now five years on his products are retailing in Garden Centres as well as selling well online. 
Going back further I know of one single mother who went into production creating bags of sauces and mixes of spices that she sells at markets as well as online and another single mother who went into production making a toffee vodka so she could spend more time with her kids. 
Even my Purple Bricks Estate Agent who helped me sell my house last year worked with his daughter in tow during school holidays. His daughter would just stay in his car while he conducted viewings etc. 

Isn't there a Things That Never Happened thread somewhere for this type of pish?

1 hour ago, Day of the Lords said:
16 hours ago, Malky3 said:
Being honest I'm not sure I've got a lot of sympathy with the plight of the guy in the article. 
I don't know what has led to his situation where the kids mother is no longer around and he can't count on any support from either set of grandparents, but regardless of his situation sitting around waiting on a government to fix it for him is utterly pointless. There are literally loads of things he could do to better his situation but it reads to me like he's decided there are no jobs available in Blackpool so as a result he should just get benefits and rely on charity to help feed his kids. 
To cite one example, one of my youngest sons friends found himself in a bad situation when his young wife died months after giving birth to his baby daughter. His parents were working but he was able initially to do night shifts at Tesco whilst his parents looked after his daughter through the night and to try to make a bit more money he decided to start making some candles that he could sell to friends and family. Within 6 months he was doing well enough with the candles that he was able to give up the night shift job and now five years on his products are retailing in Garden Centres as well as selling well online. 
Going back further I know of one single mother who went into production creating bags of sauces and mixes of spices that she sells at markets as well as online and another single mother who went into production making a toffee vodka so she could spend more time with her kids. 
Even my Purple Bricks Estate Agent who helped me sell my house last year worked with his daughter in tow during school holidays. His daughter would just stay in his car while he conducted viewings etc. 

Isn't there a Things That Never Happened thread somewhere for this type of pish?

Completely factual but your attitude speak volumes about the way many Scots view those who don't accept "their place" in society and who take responsibility for their own ambition. 

Nothing scares establishment types more than an informed electorate.
Folk in Western democracies get far too hooked up on the political 'story' of the day. The shenanigans of Westminster (doesn't seem quite as bad at holyrood) really isn't that important.

Don't get me wrong, I want folk to be switched on with the world and the general gist but the obsession with the drama is incredibly unhelpful.

17 hours ago, Malky3 said:

I normally ignore your posts but this is utter nonsense.

The reason your mate would have been able to give up the nightshifts is that if you start a small business you can claim Working Tax Credits for three years without showing any profits or even having to prove any substantial economic activity.

So he was 100% still on benefits for a few years. The end part seems very far fetched but you never know.

Edited by Detournement

56 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I normally ignore your posts but this is utter nonsense.

The reason your mate would have been able to give up the nightshifts is that if you start a small business you can claim Working Tax Credits for three years without showing any profits or even having to prove any substantial economic activity.

So he was 100% still on benefits for a few years. The end part seems very far fetched but you never know.

They are selling at garden centres. My son pointed them out to me at Dobbies in the Clyde Valley and I've seen them elsewhere since. Obviously I don't know whether hes claiming help or not and I don't know the status of his accounts. Many small businesses have been launched as a result of people who have refused to succum to a reliance on benefits. 

6 candidates in West Dunbartonshire and only 1 lives here. I find that very very worrying. The one that does is a one issue, anti abotionist sort. Finding it hard to vote for any of them. 

Anyone else have candidates that don't live in the area they aim to represent? 

2 minutes ago, the snudge said:

6 candidates in West Dunbartonshire and only 1 lives here. I find that very very worrying. The one that does is a bameroo, anti abotionist sort. Finding it hard to vote for any of them. 

FTFY...

And whilst I'm here, are you sure that the sitting MP Martin Docherty-Hughes does not still live in Clydebank, where he was brought up ?  Even if he doesn't he absolutely has first-hand knowledge of this area and its problems, and he has quite impressed in his role.  I also think the Labour candidate is from the Vale but you might as well throw your ballot paper in the Leven and watch it float past Dumbarton Rock on that one.  And I wouldn't be surprised if the Liberal candidate is thinking of throwing a sicky after last night......

Always remember, what thay actually DO is far more important than where their Xmas cards arrive.

3 minutes ago, the snudge said:

6 candidates in West Dunbartonshire and only 1 lives here. I find that very very worrying. The one that does is a one issue, anti abotionist sort. Finding it hard to vote for any of them. 

Parties are shit-scared of local candidates, and you can understand why. It's obviously to their benefit that their MPs will toe the party line and do as they're told, and they're far more likely to do that if the candidate is unfamiliar with the area and relies on head office for support in being elected. Somebody who's known and respected locally would be far more comfortable in kicking off when, say, the party decides to invade another country on a flimsy pretext, or launches a war on the lazy, undeserving poor. It might even help their chances of maintaining support if they were to follow their own beliefs, and we can't have that.