General Election 2019 - AND IT’S LIVE!

Frank Grimes

X in the box for   

467 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Leaders' election TV debate cancelled after Boris Johnson refuses to take part

This is an absolute disgrace. It's fair to say the UK is in constitutional crisis and we're heading into a pivotal general election which might well see the break up of the UK and the PM won't take part in a debate? Shocking. Looks like Kirstene Hair isn't alone in finding important questions too difficult. 

You are justifying yourself here and it doesn't surprise me that your conscience is not bothering you.
If you're OK with being a hypocrite then I have no problem with that but you might want to remember that you are part of the problem as regards the housing crisis.
Personally I'd like to see tenants given a right to buy to stop all this greed.

Yes Ross is an absolute disgrace, imagine being a landlord and charging a rent under the market rate, what a bad man he is! Ross, it’s all your fault.

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Corbyn is in cloud cukoo land with that manifesto. That, coupled with his lack of clarity on Brexit is unfortunately going to herald a Tory majority

Sturgeon was on the tele the other night suggesting that everything Labour is offering is already policy or being implemented in Scotland. Which is it?

You are justifying yourself here and it doesn't surprise me that your conscience is not bothering you.
If you're OK with being a hypocrite then I have no problem with that but you might want to remember that you are part of the problem as regards the housing crisis.
Personally I'd like to see tenants given a right to buy to stop all this greed.

I actually agree with your general point about the issue of second home renting - but personally attacking a guy who seems to be genuinely decent about not ripping anyone off just makes you look like an arsehole.

Is that your intention?

"The die have been cast. "

Its a quote from classical literature. It sort of means that everything has now been set in motion, all the parties have made their big plays. I am sure their supporters will not think that but we can see the landscape of the election. 

We have three weeks to see how much of this cuts through to the public and their reactions. 

About 10 minutes from now in three weeks we will have the exit polls. Its going to take something special between now and then for them not to point to a tory majority. 

Corbyn is in cloud cukoo land with that manifesto. That, coupled with his lack of clarity on Brexit is unfortunately going to herald a Tory majority
In cloud cuckoo land because you don't approve of the policies, or because they are a suicide note in a Britain that has jettisoned all notion of commonweal whilst becoming a monument to corrupt capitalism and beggar thy neighbour greed ?

I'm delighted to see nationalisation of essential utilities back in the frame - clean drinking water, free education, security of affordable energy and universal access to healthcare, including dentistry, for all should be the baseline in a civilised society.

As for the cost; eradicating tax evasion by legal force would be a huge start.

He’s in cloud cuckoo land with most things he says to be honest. Baffles me why he has such a loyal group of followers despite failing to defeat an absolute shambles of a Tory party in recent years.

'And if there's one other person who's influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system, then it's Jo Swinson. Because Jo will happily say, "that's what I think of your Brexit policy, yes I've killed the odd squirrel, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby, but will you piss off and leave me alone, I'm walking to John O'Groats for some Lib Dem candidates."'

23 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

'And if there's one other person who's influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system, then it's Jo Swinson. Because Jo will happily say, "that's what I think of your Brexit policy, yes I've killed the odd squirrel, yes I've enjoyed the old dooby, but will you piss off and leave me alone, I'm walking to John O'Groats for some Lib Dem candidates."'

"Look how down with the youth I am...."

28 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Think she had a spliff the size of a white pudding just before she claimed she could be the next Prime Minister.

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Not sure why you are talking just about Scotland.

There are 5 million second homes out there in the UK.

Fair point. That 5m sounds high though. A quick google leads to The Guardian quoting the Resolution Foundation. Hmmm, no agenda there then. But even that says 1/3 of 2nd homes are rented out, leaving 3.4m people. I would guess that the vast majority of 2nd homes will be afforded by and owned by couples. So more like 2m maybe?  And I would expect that the majority of those homes are most likely in Spain! The article is a bit vague. The attached link BBC Reality Check is older but way more detailed - stating only 165,000 people have 2nd homes as holiday homes in the UK. A sizeable number but nothing like 5m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32393222

Edited by Pet Jeden