Voting Intentions

Suspect Device

General Election  

234 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Labour's vote up here did get a "surge" from the Corbyn effect back then, along with a fair amount of tactical voting. That's gone now and I suspect most voters who might have been enthused by Corbyn 2 years ago now see him as a dithering fool. 

The Tories will probably do better than many of us are expecting, and maybe hold onto 4-5 seats. Labour however are monumentally fucked. I'll be stunned if they even get 5 seats. The Lib Dems might pick up a couple beyond their usual Islands seats. I think Stephen Gethins is in danger in Fife for example. 

The factors in favour of a good SNP result are likely: 

• Labour's "Corbyn-bounce" from 2017 gone
  • The Tory success last time was very much based on Ruth Davidson. Their Scottish Leader now is a complete buffoon, and their PM is a complete buffoon. They will simply go down the "No to a 2nd Indy Ref" campaign route.
  • Any time Europe is mentioned in a debate, whichever Tory is involved is going to made to look like a fucking idiot
  • The SNP's 2017 campaign was weak and pretty complacent imo, they won't make that mistake again. 

We'll neither see a repeat of the SNP's 2015 landslide, or 2017's SNP disappointment. I'd guestimate the SNP winning 49 seats. 

This. Expect to hear that "divisive second referendum" soundbite from the Tories a lot.

On 02/11/2019 at 14:07, welshbairn said:

Weird how hysterical the SNPbadders are reacting to Councils in Scotland being permitted to raise revenue in the same way English Councils are in a measure to encourage people onto public transport and cycles instead of clogging up the roads. 

Yep it's almost as if the demographics are in anyway similar.  

England: 430 people per square km

Scotland: 70 people per square km

The only place in England to implement this has a population density larger than any council area of Scotland.

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yep it's almost as if the demographics are in anyway similar.  

England: 430 people per square km

Scotland: 70 people per square km

The only place in England to implement this has a population density larger than any council area of Scotland.

Tourists don't realise that the only councils intent on introducing it, Glasgow and Edinburgh, are as bleak and and unpopulated as Caithness and Sutherland.

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I think the workplace parking levy is daft but your logic is daft too. Edinburgh's the most congested city in the UK.

Great! I didn't know that Edinburgh were the only local authority to be allowed to introduce this.  Thanks for passing on that relevant bit of info. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I've noticed I've missed out a party standing in my own constituency of Aberdeen South.

Renew candidate Colin McFadyen.

Not being a political anorak, I'd never heard of them until today. 

Feck me, I think I know him! I've just no idea who Renew are - better away and Google it... Still nae getting my vote, mind, even if their policies look pretty decent on the whole. 

And it turns out I know (vaguely) one of their other candidates in Scotland. 

Edited by Utter Roaster
Research!

Got Andrew Bowie and Ruth Davidson leaflets through the door - and both of them go huge on the fact they are not the SNP and are the only ones that can stop them.

In terms of positive messages, Bowie did mention he turned up at the Banchory Show and supports getting more tourists to the area, before another page about he’s not the SNP.

14 hours ago, welshbairn said:

So what? Would you ban Scottish Councils the same devolved power English ones get?

The whole reason that we have devolution and an independence movement is to ensure that we can make decision based on what is best for Scotland not enact laws that are merely a sop to the Greens and has already been shown to not reduce congestion.  Why is it important that we follow the UK government and give councils these powers.

On 04/11/2019 at 12:31, Suspect Device said:

I've noticed I've missed out a party standing in my own constituency of Aberdeen South.

Renew candidate Colin McFadyen.

Not being a political anorak, I'd never heard of them until today. 

Just saw that today as well and had the same reaction, never heard of them. 

I'm in Aberdeen North but was looking at Aberdeen South to see who was going to replace Thomson as the tory candidate.

I think the SNP will win Aberdeen North fairly easily and I'll be voting for them somewhat unenthusiastically. Can't say I'm a great fan of any of the parties right now but don't think I could stomach voting for anyone else. I can't stand the Greens and would rather not vote at all than give any kind of support to Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem.

I don't think this election will be as bad for the tories as the wipeout some are predicting in Scotland. I'd expect them to lose maybe half their seats and Labour to lose a few too, probably just holding on to Murray's in Edinburgh. Would assume Lib Dems will hold onto their Island seat but unfortunately I think hopes that the horrific Swinson will lose her seat will come to nothing and she'll comfortably retain it. One can only hope though and I'll belly laugh for a fortnight if she does indeed lose it.

20 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

Just saw that today as well and had the same reaction, never heard of them. 

I'm in Aberdeen North but was looking at Aberdeen South to see who was going to replace Thomson as the tory candidate.

I think the SNP will win Aberdeen North fairly easily and I'll be voting for them somewhat unenthusiastically. Can't say I'm a great fan of any of the parties right now but don't think I could stomach voting for anyone else. I can't stand the Greens and would rather not vote at all than give any kind of support to Conservative, Labour or Lib Dem.

I don't think this election will be as bad for the tories as the wipeout some are predicting in Scotland. I'd expect them to lose maybe half their seats and Labour to lose a few too, probably just holding on to Murray's in Edinburgh. Would assume Lib Dems will hold onto their Island seat but unfortunately I think hopes that the horrific Swinson will lose her seat will come to nothing and she'll comfortably retain it. One can only hope though and I'll belly laugh for a fortnight if she does indeed lose it.

Swinson won’t lose her seat.  There will be a lot of ‘soft Tories’ who can see beyond Brexit and who will vote for her.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Swinson won’t lose her seat.  There will be a lot of ‘soft Tories’ who can see beyond Brexit and who will vote for her.

Indeed, who better to convince tories they can put a X in the Lib Dem box than a tory wearing an orange rosette.

What do we think would actually happen if Swinson lost her seat? Would the poor lemon in Orkney or another Lib Dem ‘safe seat’ (if it exists) be forced to resign immediately so Swinson could go in with a by-election? Would she just be leader and sit outside Parliament? Forced to resign as leader?