Queens versus Queens............................

Bluenortherner

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Those are different incidents. The one where Dobbie was clean through on goal on the back of the potential red card challenge on Paton was restarted with a free kick to us for the foul, which obviously happened before the offside.

The one where we got possession from a drop ball was after a different incident in the second half because we were playing the other way when we got that.

Yep,  quite right,  getting my timings mixed up. 

What a great day, in one of my favourite away days and even better memories after yesterday!  (First visit was a postponed game in the early 80's , we were allready there when it was called off but the supporters bus didnt come back to pick us up till 5pm lol ) 

We really reserve our best performances for cup games, circumstances are such that i havent made too many other games apart from them-lucky me. 

What a gutsy performance from the whole team and congrats to the coaching staff as well . Shame their was no shout for our manager yesterday (tactical master class) i think the way we set up and stiffled them really worked a treat , particularly second half. (However, the singers in our crowd fair supported the team to victory , well done guys) A brilliant team effort but have to mention Salim's contribution, what a header'er of a ball. 

In years to come hopefully we can pay more visits to your lovely town. 

Edited by Moodster

In the first half, our defenders were pissing about passing it sideways and backwards like we were 6-0 up with 10 minutes to go. It wasn’t always a result of pressure on the ball - they looked like they were not interested in getting the ball forward, apart from the odd time when they lumped it. Any passing moves in the first half looked like they were happening in slow motion. Looked like a bunch of unmotivated, uninterested lower league jobbers playing in their last match before relegation. Second half was one of the worst performances for a long time. It was just 45 minutes of nothing.

Agree about AJ fannying about with the defence. Not sure why one player missing should suddenly make the other 3 turn into complete duffers.

In the first half, our defenders were pissing about passing it sideways and backwards like we were 6-0 up with 10 minutes to go. It wasn’t always a result of pressure on the ball - they looked like they were not interested in getting the ball forward, apart from the odd time when they lumped it. Any passing moves in the first half looked like they were happening in slow motion. Looked like a bunch of unmotivated, uninterested lower league jobbers playing in their last match before relegation. Second half was one of the worst performances for a long time. It was just 45 minutes of nothing.
Agree about AJ fannying about with the defence. Not sure why one player missing should suddenly make the other 3 turn into complete duffers.
Our defence did do this but that was because there absolutely no one ahead of them dropping for the ball. I recall twice in the first half Kidd and McCarthy dropping back but they were behind the ball, in line with the CBs when doing this! The amount of times when it was a midfield of QP jerseys was unreal. This resulted in the ball being hoofed forward to the 5 ft strikers against the 6ft defenders.

I felt (/feel) sorry for our defence at times because this wasn't unique to yesterday, it's happened throughout the season. The defenders get pelters when they keep the ball too long and are given shouts of "get it forward" then when they boot it and it undoubtedly gets swept up by the opposition defence they get pelters for booting it. If there was midfielders screaming or even showing for the pass then I'd understand the frustration but no one ever drops and looks to start an attack from midfield.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Our defence did do this but that was because there absolutely no one ahead of them dropping for the ball. I recall twice in the first half Kidd and McCarthy dropping back but they were behind the ball, in line with the CBs when doing this! The amount of times when it was a midfield of QP jerseys was unreal. This resulted in the ball being hoofed forward to the 5 ft strikers against the 6ft defenders.

I felt (/feel) sorry for our defence at times because this wasn't unique to yesterday, it's happened throughout the season. The defenders get pelters when they keep the ball too long and are given shouts of "get it forward" then when they boot it and it undoubtedly gets swept up by the opposition defence they get pelters for booting it. If there was midfielders screaming or even showing for the pass then I'd understand the frustration but no one ever drops and looks to start an attack from midfield.

100% this.

I alluded to it in my post at half time yesterday, and things didn't improve in the second half.

For me, nearly all our deficiencies are to do with the midfield.

What a grand day out! Firstly, thanks for the recommendation to vist Caven's Arms; a thoroughly nice place to be on a dreich Saturday. Everyone I spoke to in Dumfries seemed kindly and welcoming. And I've never seen any football club with an ultra-style banner reminding everyone about their manners. Compared to our last outing this was a cleansing of the soul. Even the stewards, despite their demeanour, were polite and courteous and allowed our enthusiasm to be self-managed. 

And the fitba'. When you're playing a team two leagues above you away from home the best you can hope for is that the gaffer has a solid game plan, his players trust him enough to stick with it, the individual battles are won and you take your chances when they come. And that's exactly what happened yesterday. Every player was at his very best and they done themselves, and our club,  proud. It was also very special when they came to celebrate with the fans at the end. Also great to have former favourites Quinn and Reilly over too. Only one missing was Mark Roberts. I sincerely hope that any concerns about his tactical ability have been burried and if there's any clue to how the manager is respected within the camp it was evident on the park from all the players yesterday.  

MotM opinion temporarily suspended due to far too many candidates. I would like to offer Wullie Muir a warm welcome back though. Not sure who that imposter was earlier in the season but it's really good to have the 2016 model back.

Bring on The Sellick!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Meant to ask last night what are the rules of the game surrounding the use of the match ball? In second half each ball boy had a ball and when ball went out of play they would throw ball back they were holding to speed up the game. The ref and Queens Park players insisted the 'match' ball was used. Do you have to the use the match ball all the way though the game or can you use a multiball system at teams discretion? Are there different rules for different competitions - sure at International matches they use multi ball system? I realise if ball goes out the stadium then another ball can be used

Really enjoyed my trip yesterday. A first trip to Dumfries let alone Palmerston, so I did the tourist trail and went to see Rabbie's grave, had a pint or two in the snug in the Globe, bought a sausage roll in Greggs etc.

The game itself was very enjoyable. Would have been an absolute absurdity had a draw been snatched at the end.

I've seen some great performances from this QP team this year. Thinking of Airdrie away, Brechin home and away, but yesterday tops them all. Tremendous. IMG_20191123_135526.jpeg

18 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Meant to ask last night what are the rules of the game surrounding the use of the match ball? In second half each ball boy had a ball and when ball went out of play they would throw ball back they were holding to speed up the game. The ref and Queens Park players insisted the 'match' ball was used. Do you have to the use the match ball all the way though the game or can you use a multiball system at teams discretion? Are there different rules for different competitions - sure at International matches they use multi ball system? I realise if ball goes out the stadium then another ball can be used

Assume the issue was that QoS changed from a single ball to multi ball at half time, think you have to use the same system throughout a game. Presumably the thought was we would be wasting a shit load of time in the second half, we didn't really have to.

38 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Section G, rule 47 of the SPFL Rules offers us this clarity. The SFA don't offer any ball advice. Little wonder the match officials look clueless so much.

image.png.26f1588560db9fc7a809fd2711deeee3.png

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

I disagree. You're right it wasn't entirely the fault of the defence but I thought the issue was far more to do with the lack of movement up front than the midfield.

I disagree. You're right it wasn't entirely the fault of the defence but I thought the issue was far more to do with the lack of movement up front than the midfield.
The only movement they could make would be further up and risk being offside when the inevitable long ball came, or drop deep to collect the ball (which they actually did on occasion) which IMO is the job of the midfield.

The only movement they could make would be further up and risk being offside when the inevitable long ball came, or drop deep to collect the ball (which they actually did on occasion) which IMO is the job of the midfield.
I didnt see an awful lot of them dropping deep. Again, I'd disagree. There's a big difference between moving and simply standing being marked. The defenders clearly weren't happy about it a few times.

I didnt see an awful lot of them dropping deep. Again, I'd disagree. There's a big difference between moving and simply standing being marked. The defenders clearly weren't happy about it a few times.
But the point I'm making is the strikers shouldn't have to drop deep to collect the ball from defenders, the midfield should be doing it. They didn't and subsequently it resulted in high balls.

1 hour ago, JT1867 said:

Assume the issue was that QoS changed from a single ball to multi ball at half time, think you have to use the same system throughout a game. Presumably the thought was we would be wasting a shit load of time in the second half, we didn't really have to.

I am reluctant to respond because I really dont want to sound like sour grapes. Without a shadow of a doubt the team that deserved to win won, and did so pretty comfortably notwithstanding Murray's late goal. But if that was you NOT wasting time I would hate to see you do it!

I actually remarked at one point second half it was like watching an Eastern European team come to Hampden v Scotland, take the lead and then kill the game with professional time wasting. Leaving aside your players refusing to take the nearest ball from the ballboys and insisting on getting the same ball back, just about every single challenge in the second half saw a Queens Park player take some time lying on the pitch. Eventually even the referee got fed up of it and was waving play on.

Completely understandable. You earned the chance to do that. In the same positoon we would have done the same. I am not criticising it, but your players wasted time from the 46th minute to the last. And you are right, you really didnt need to. We werent puting you under any pressure unfortunately.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I am reluctant to respond because I really dont want to sound like sour grapes. Without a shadow of a doubt the team that deserved to win won, and did so pretty comfortably notwithstanding Murray's late goal. But if that was you NOT wasting time I would hate to see you do it!

If Gus was still in charge it would have been ten times worse!

I thought the muti-ball system had to be agreed by both teams (and officials) prior to the match not introduced midway through. My first impression was that we used it after half-time to try to keep the game moving faster to try and tire the part-time team in the later stages but in all honesty it looked liked the QoS players were not really fit enough or willing enough to maintain a high tempo for the final 45 minutes anyway. The rule makers,  and match officials,  don't help with eradicating time wasting either,  goal kicks used to have to be taken from the side the ball went out,  now goalies amble from one side of the six yard box to the other to take kicks and,  unless seriously hurt,  injured players were made to leave the field for treatment if lying near the edge of the pitch. Of course the playing field is levelled as every team does it to some extent when seeing out games,  that's probably why it's become accepted and not really stamped out. 

But the point I'm making is the strikers shouldn't have to drop deep to collect the ball from defenders, the midfield should be doing it. They didn't and subsequently it resulted in high balls.
I'm not saying they should. I'm saying if they stand still and don't make any attempt to lose their markers then, it doesn't matter who has the ball, any kind of quality forward pass becomes almost impossible.

Thats what results in aimless high balls.