Queens versus Queens............................

Bluenortherner

Yet you would rather play Semple than give the young lad a chance? Semple was responsible for every goal at Dundee United. Semple is slow and unfit and clearly not the level we need.

Semple wasn’t available for selection for the QP match so I don’t understand where you are coming from? As I said the Manager had limited options yesterday.As I see it Holt was the obvious choice but he could have kept Holt at LB and either brought in Gourlay or move a midfielder either (Osman or McCarthy) into CB.

I am all for giving young lads a chance IF they are good enough. If you have seen a lot of Gourlay and think he deserves that chance I am not in a strong position to disagree BUT the reserves ship goals for fun and I haven’t seen anything in his brief performances to make me think he is ready for that step up.

9 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Holt was moved to central defence last week at Dundee Utd when Semple was hooked,  Lyon went to left back and we looked a bit more solid after that, that was probably Johnston's thinking on today's line up.  Holt had also been used as centre half at his last club I believe so he's no stranger to that position. 

What happened at Tannadice is fairly irrelevant if you ask me.  Battening down the hatches to avoid a further hiding from Dundee United is a completely different set of circumstances to a home game in which we are massive favourites.

Holt may or may not be capable of playing CB, on yesterday's showing I would go with the latter.  It's not just about him though, it's the knock-on effect it had on the whole shape and system.  Not only is he out of position but so is Lyon at LB.  That means 50% of our defence is playing a role they are not naturally comfortable with, and it showed!  You could also argue our midfield was also weakened by this decision because from what I have seen I would have Lyon ahead of McCarthy in the pecking order.  We also lost one of our biggest attacking threats by playing a right footed midfielder at left back.

I would take a player playing their natural position over a "square peg in a round hole" every single day of the week.  It's absolutely infuriating when managers do this shit.  I'm sure Johnston's argument would be that Gourlay is too inexperienced and not ready, but that's a weak excuse if you ask me.  If he's not good enough to start in a home game against lower league opposition then when is he going to be good enough?  Play him and it's only 25% of the defence that is a risk.  The rest are experienced players with hundreds of games under their belt.  They should be able to cope with a rookie alongside them, and he should be able to be talked through the game.  Again if this is beyond him then you need to question why he is at the club.

I'm not saying this was the only factor yesterday, but it is indicative of our entire approach to the game.  It is clear to me that Johnston treated Queens Park with contempt and thought any old lineup would be good enough all we had to do is turn up.  This attitude rubbed off on the players as their performance showed. Contrast that with Queens Park, who were well drilled, hard-working and all playing for each other.  That is ultimately the reason why they won the game.

I'm absolutely furious with Johnston over this one, both in his approach yesterday, and his reaction afterwards where he washes his hands of any blame and puts it all on the players.  It's unfair and wrong.

We survived some excellent play from QoS early on and can thank glaring misses as well as terrific defending for keeping us in the game.

As well as the outstanding performances from Salim and Willie Muir, what struck me were the contributions from the guys who aren't mentioned very often. The complete team performance in my opinion, and the game was a breath of fresh air after the bun fight at Cowden last week. The Beautiful Game is back to being Beautiful.

1 minute ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We survived some excellent play from QoS early on and can thank glaring misses as well as terrific defending. As well as the outstanding performances from Salim and Willie Muir, what struck me were the contributions from the guys who aren't mentioned very often. The complete team performance in my opinion, and the game was a breath of fresh air after the bun fight at Cowden last week.

You can maybe also thank a glaring referees howler in the first half when he allowed play to go on when a Queens player was injured and Dobbie was through one on one with the keeper only for the referee to then stop the game and pull play back. Obviously no-one can say if Dobbie would have scored but it was a chance denied and a goal then could have changed the whole complexion of the game.  Also the tackle that earned the first? QP player a booking could possibly have been red,  it looked from my position as bad as the tackle that an Ayr player was sent off for in our recent match. That's not to take anything away from Queens Park's performance though as overall they were deserved winners. 

You can maybe also thank a glaring referees howler in the first half when he allowed play to go on when a Queens player was injured and Dobbie was through one on one with the keeper only for the referee to then stop the game and pull play back. Obviously no-one can say if Dobbie would have scored but it was a chance denied and a goal then could have changed the whole complexion of the game.  Also the tackle that earned the first? QP player a booking could possibly have been red,  it looked from my position as bad as the tackle that an Ayr player was sent off for in our recent match. That's not to take anything away from Queens Park's performance though as overall they were deserved winners. 

The linesman takes the blame there. Dobbie was offside and when he went up to the ref fizzing, the ref signalled that the linesman had called offside. Clearly this was through the headset and I've no idea why the linesman didn't flag anyway as it was always going to get a reaction like that and the ref taking the flack.

I was more raging with what I thought was a handball in the box in the first half that wasn't given.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

The linesman takes the blame there. Dobbie was offside and when he went up to the ref fizzing, the ref signalled that the linesman had called offside. Clearly this was through the headset and I've no idea why the linesman didn't flag anyway as it was always going to get a reaction like that and the ref taking the flack.

This.

Dobbie was yards offside and was never in a month of Sundays going to be allowed to go on and score. The officials certainly didn't make it clear but I'm sure that's what he pulled it back for.

And it was an absolutely horrible challenge. I was going to mention it earlier but didn't want it to sound like sour grapes. It should have been a red card though and a stronger more experienced referee would surely have given one.  It was two footed and studs up for me (though not as bad as McCowan's challenge for Ayr a fortnight ago).

I'd like to see the Queen's Park goals again (presumably we will tonight) but the first is a set piece, superbly delivered and Kouider-Aissa, who isn't the biggest, seemed to get a free-ish header on it. I presume Holt and Brownlie were picking up the opposing centre halves. No idea who was marking Salim but we did certainly have a lack of height in the team yesterday with Kilday / Semple out and Osman not starting. The second he gets across the defender too easily to turn home the cross. We failed to stop crosses coming in from both sides in that one move too so I imagine there were multiple failures in it.

These things will happen though. Strikers will miss chances, defenders will make mistakes. The hugely disappointing thing for me was the manner of our second half performance. We offered little. There was urgency but no invention and not enough movement. Credit where it's due, Queen's Park's defending from the front was as good as anything I've seen at Championship level. The defenders got no time on the ball to play it out from the back and ended up having to turn back or launch it. Kidd did his best to come short and take it but he had little movement in front of him. Michael Paton got a lot of joy at the back end of the first half but seemed to be played out of the second half and couldn't find space to make his passes. And with the height differential Queen's Park were happy to clear high balls forward all day. They saw it out pretty much with ease. It would have been interesting to see if they'd folded if Murray's worldy had come 15 minutes earlier but it was far far too late to matter in the end.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Dobbie being offside wasn't clearly indicated by the officials,  and difficult to judge from my stance,  but if correct the game would have been better restarted with an indirect free kick to QP for offside rather than a drop ball giving QoS possession,  that would maybe have been easier to make sense of. 

15 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Dobbie being offside wasn't clearly indicated by the officials,  and difficult to judge from my stance,  but if correct the game would have been better restarted with an indirect free kick to QP for offside rather than a drop ball giving QoS possession,  that would maybe have been easier to make sense of. 

Those are different incidents. The one where Dobbie was clean through on goal on the back of the potential red card challenge on Paton was restarted with a free kick to us for the foul, which obviously happened before the offside.

The one where we got possession from a drop ball was after a different incident in the second half because we were playing the other way when we got that.

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

As others have said, Dobbie was miles offside.

Linesmen often seem to only put their flag up when the player touches the ball now, rather than when he moves towards it.

There was no injustice though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Indeed; blatant two-handed foul by a QoS player missed by the officials leading to their goal. If that had happened a few minutes earlier, then the game could have ended differently.

The linesman at the main stand side generally didn't want to signal for anything.

I think you're right. Still, you win some you lose some and all that kind of pish. 

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Semple wasn’t available for selection for the QP match so I don’t understand where you are coming from? As I said the Manager had limited options yesterday.As I see it Holt was the obvious choice but he could have kept Holt at LB and either brought in Gourlay or move a midfielder either (Osman or McCarthy) into CB.

I am all for giving young lads a chance IF they are good enough. If you have seen a lot of Gourlay and think he deserves that chance I am not in a strong position to disagree BUT the reserves ship goals for fun and I haven’t seen anything in his brief performances to make me think he is ready for that step up.

Why was Semple not available for selection? 

31 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Indeed; blatant two-handed foul by a QoS player missed by the officials leading to their goal. If that had happened a few minutes earlier, then the game could have ended differently.

The linesman at the main stand side generally didn't want to signal for anything.

That was a ridiculously blatant handball by Kidd.  Shame it was missed as a suspension for him would have improved our midfield options.