Peterhead v Raith Rovers

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Yesterday was never, ever a day for playing the nice passing game. It was a day for finding another way to win, and we didn't ever look like doing that. We can't play long ball or direct, we simply don't have anyone who can hold the ball up. Bowie struggled very badly with an awful first touch, and frankly I'm not sure Armstrong or Gullan even touched the ball. With two creative players out it puts the incentive on these guys. 

Agree 100% with this. I know he isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I think we are missing Allan upfront. He’s not a goal scorer but his hold up play is excellent and he brings our other attacking players into the game. We don’t have anyone else in the squad capable of doing the job he does, certainly not to the same level.

It was the same in spells last week, East Fife were pressing high and it looked like taking a more direct route may be beneficial but we can’t play that way with Bowie. The ball just doesn’t stick with him. He’s an excellent prospect but he is better when he is attacking and running into space, he struggles playing with his back to goal. 

12 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It has to be mentioned, that in the run up Daniel Armstrong got scythed down where it looked like a shout for a free kick.

That's one way of putting it, completely incorrect but still one way of putting it I guess.  The challange on him was right in front of the linesman and the ref and both could see that the ball was won fairly.  The player was rightly booked for his continued tantrum even after the goal.

Not a day for the purists although they would have applauded the 2nd goal, I know I did!

Referee was a ballon, his booking of Spencer was typical, a quiet word would have sufficed but no! From there on in the writing was on the wall, what a shame Davo clearly can't read.

Brown's challenge on Anderson was imo a professional foul, even if not two footed (and I still think it was) it was late, high and calculated and fully deserving of a red card.

Take nothing away from the Blootooners though as they won this on merit, they wanted it more and were willing to scrap for it where we were not.

For the away team I'd give pass marks to MacDonald and the 3 sub's, the rest to a man were all honking!

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

Not a day for the purists although they would have applauded the 2nd goal, I know I did!

Referee was a ballon, his booking of Spencer was typical, a quiet word would have sufficed but no! From there on in the writing was on the wall, what a shame Davo clearly can't read.

Brown's challenge on Anderson was imo a professional foul, even if not two footed (and I still think it was) it was late, high and calculated and fully deserving of a red card.

Take nothing away from the Blootooners though as they won this on merit, they wanted it more and were willing to scrap for it where we were not.

For the away team I'd give pass marks to MacDonald and the 3 sub's, the rest to a man were all honking!

Got a great view of our second goal from where I was sitting & there was a tremendous bend on the shot which will hopefully maybe show on our highlights which are done from the other side of the ground.

We have been on the wrong end of Gavin Ross plenty times in the past, he is one of those that does not like listening to players opinions & is best steered well clear of. Davidson completely lost the heed & left the ref with little option but to show red.

We have just not had a break in many games this season but made our own luck yesterday & closed down much better, a pity Si Ferry struggles on plastic pitches as when playing  he links our midfield to our defenders & the strikers

What a difference from the last game against Raith. We were well beaten 4-0 and it could easily have been much more but this time it was a more evenly contested game with a gift goal and an excellent goal settling the match. I expected a harder game and would have settled for a point beforehand but we battled away and got a deserved win to end the losing streak and hopefully carry on this form to next week. Raith have now lost 2 of the 3 games they have played on grass this season at Stranraer and Peterhead and managed a narrow 1-0 win at Dumbarton. Is this just a coincidence or do some teams struggle on grass pitches when their own one is artificial? We struggle on artificial pitches every other week.

A good spot from Red Zeb on Fantalk for the 1st goal, Davo's passbook takes a bobble just as McGurn is about to strike the ball.  I'll admit I didn't see it at the time and even missed it in the highlights too until I slowed it down. At quarter speed you see the ball lift just before he kicks it. Ok It's still a mistake but it's brought about by the surface more than solely human error.

A good spot from Red Zeb on Fantalk for the 1st goal, Davo's passbook takes a bobble just as McGurn is about to strike the ball.  I'll admit I didn't see it at the time and even missed it in the highlights too until I slowed it down. At quarter speed you see the ball lift just before he kicks it. Ok It's still a mistake but it's brought about by the surface more than solely human error.

That was the second time, he tried to flick it up and over the Peterhead players head in less than 5 mins. He almost fucked the first one as well.

He needs dropped for next week. Ross Munro is actually a brilliant keeper and made some outstanding saves as of late yet got dropped a couple of weeks ago for some weird reason that only McGlynn knows.

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

That was the second time, he tried to flick it up and over the Peterhead players head in less than 5 mins. He almost fucked the first one as well.

He needs dropped for next week. Ross Munro is actually a brilliant keeper and made some outstanding saves as of late yet got dropped a couple of weeks ago for some weird reason that only McGlynn knows.

I don't think he was trying anything fancy to be fair.

Play Munro, when Tommy returns, we see if he’s 100%, healthy and a better option. Munro just might stay beyond Jan is he isn’t back up to speed yet and he’s playing. mcGurn is also a coach, so it’s not purely three goalies...also knowing our luck with goalies...

Munro will be gone in January one way or another, financially we just can't afford his extra wage. Thomson and McGurn will fight it out for 1st choice and the youngster we already have/are signing on apprentice will be 3rd man back up.

Think it’s harsh to blame McGurn for that goal. Wouldn’t matter who was kicking the ball, it would’ve taken the same massive bobble and likely ended up with the same result.

McGlynn made a big mistake not playing the back five. I understand it isn’t the same without Vaughan, and now Hendry, but we quite simply aren’t good enough to play four at the back away from home. We let in too many goals. It’s simplistic, but we’ve a win, a draw and three defeats from five away matches playing four in defence, and two wins from two with the five. What happened to the attempts to keep it tight? Saturday was the first time in 29 away league matches we’ve failed to score, but our record in that time is horrible. We need to focus on conceding less, it really is that simple.

Armstrong and Gullan hooked at half time said a lot. Armstrong’s been dreadful aside from the Falkirk game and needs a spell on the bench.

All in all, a disaster from start to finish for us. Unlucky with a divot gifting the opener in a first half where very little happened, a few chances at 1-0 and a fine breakaway goal to clinch it. Could claim a little bit of bad luck but we’ve seen similar games far too often in the past year to claim it’s as simple as that.

McGlynn made the mistake with the starting eleven, and suddenly it’s no league win since Vaughan got injured, knocked off top, best players injured...

It’s typical McGlynn, we all remember the Andy McNeill debacle all too well

23 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

It’s typical McGlynn, we all remember the Andy McNeill debacle all too well

The Munro/McGurn thing is hardly comparable to McNeil/McGurn.

McGurn was outstanding and the best keeper in the league at that point. McNeil was a flappy mess who was making regular mistakes without any real redeeming features.

McGurn has made a couple of mistakes recently. I’d hardly call the East Fife goal a howler but I can understand why people think he could have done better, similarly with Clyde’s first goal. However, he has also made excellent point saving stops against Clyde, East Fife and Falkirk. So I can understand why McGlynn decided to stick with him.

Munro has been decent but I wouldn’t go as far to say he’s been brilliant. He was number 1 but got injured. McGurn got the jersey and hasn’t done enough in McGlynns eyes to warrant being dropped. Munro only played against Glenavon as part of McGlynn’s policy to rotate the keepers in the cup. He made an excellent save in that game but also was partly at fault for the goal conceded.

I’d put Munro back in on Saturday but it’s hardly like we are persisting with a dud when we have a superstar waiting in the wings. There’s not a great deal between the two of them IMO. It’s a long way from the McNeill/McGurn disaster in McGlynn’s previous spell. 

5 hours ago, expatowner said:

Us being largely full-time really seems an expense we can’t afford, especially when getting beat by the part-time second bottom team.

We don’t know if we’re cash positive or negative at this point.

We’re joint second after 1/3 of the season.

Oh what basis is this statement about affordability made?