The Buckfast Derby - Albion Rovers v Airdrie

16 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

It was Scott Chaplain - he of the hat-trick - to whom I was referring. Not surprised, really, that you've wiped his contribution from your memory....

Hoping for a good tussle on Saturday.

Wiping memories does work for me and I hope I don't have to this time. Looks like a good tussle to me as well.

2 hours ago, wingnut said:

Good to see you guys get on with each other as local derbies go.

I would imagine that a large percentage of Airdrie fans look out for the rovers results. There's no hatred there, although like any local derby it, can get a bit testy at times.

Really looking forward to this one.  From 3 hours travel last week to 10 mins this week.  The diamonds are big favourites but like many have said anything can happen in a cup tie and even more so in a derby.  I dont mind if its 1-0 or 7-6 it's all about being in the draw for the next round.   Moan the diamonds. 

I've lived in Coatbridge my entire life and I can't speak for others but I like to see the rovers do well as long as they remain worse than us. We've scored a few lately and are on good form but almost all of our goals have come on the break. If the Rovers sit deep I can see this being a tight and cagey match. Can also see Murray making a couple of changes but nothing drastic. 2-1 Diamonds for me.

We made heavy work of that and the scoreline flattered us. A turgid game of football but a wins a win! Roy was desperately poor and gives me the fear of Gallagher gets crocked at any point!
I said this to my big mate at the game, he's an absolute sand dancer, bit that's for another day, he's played his part in a cup win where we've scored 4 goals, I'll take that.
At the opposite end of the spectrum though.....
Callum Smith.....
I feel like a broken record, but he puts in an absolute shift everytime I see him. He covers so much ground and that left back and 2 centre halfs will be glad to see the back of him today.

We made heavy work of that and the scoreline flattered us. A turgid game of football but a wins a win! Roy was desperately poor and gives me the fear of Gallagher gets crocked at any point!

Absolutely correct, but it's good to see us score four despite not playing great. Ally Roy looks a different player from the league cup games and right now is nowhere near Gallagher's level. Would maybe prefer seeing Carrick playing the number 9 role if Gallagher was out in future.

Absolutely correct, but it's good to see us score four despite not playing great. Ally Roy looks a different player from the league cup games and right now is nowhere near Gallagher's level. Would maybe prefer seeing Carrick playing the number 9 role if Gallagher was out in future.
Carrick's a massively important player for us IMO, and I reckon him, Smith and Gallagher are easily the first choice front 3.

Carrick's a massively important player for us IMO, and I reckon him, Smith and Gallagher are easily the first choice front 3.

Carrick's goalscoring record recently makes him look a superstar compared to last season, and him and Smith put a shift in off the ball too. Easily our best front three and I'd say Carrick has been among our best players this season.

It was indeed a tussle today, due largely to our failure to score those two chances in the first ten minutes. It was a good counter  attack for the first chance and maybe Millar was not the one most likely to score. Roy ought to have done so later and it kind of summed up his day where balls would bounce away and he'd try to be too clever at the wrong times. To be fair to him he did keep working at it so maybe he also tired out the Rovers CBs.  Smith clearly does that the whole game as said and I think Murray was correct to keep him there today. The Roberts goal was a beauty to behold as he finished off that counter attack. We always look as if we need a second and were a wee bit lucky with Hutton's foot stop. 

The Rovers were hard working and did play some quite good passing moves but did not take the wee half chances; but it was no surprise when that corner produced the equaliser. I thought it was an own goal by Sean but two Roberts had now scored . That seemed to wake us up and the game was decided by our good  moves from dead ball throw ins/corners. It spooked the Rovers defence and it was a relief when Sean battered that 2nd goal like a first class striker. The 3rd finished the game and when did Crighton last score  2?  The 4th was  a left foot shot from McDonald ! 

It was often a scrappy game but the solid defence and chance taking did it. It will be clear how much we need Gallagher and let's hope he is back next Saturday. The Rovers were certainly capable of giving many teams a game and the home team "hoodoo" continues.

I don't think the scoreline flattered us at all.  Sure, two of the goals were late, but we've been scoring a lot of late goals recently and having a fitter team of better players should usually tell eventually.   8 shots on target vs 2 for the Rovers, a 50% score rate for each... seems about right.  Smith was MOTM for me.

We really woke up after the equaliser.  That seemed to sting us into action a bit.

I did enjoy the fact that they'd put up a line of barriers in an utterly useless effort to stop fans getting on the pitch.   They should try a moat next time.

Edited by Tulloch Gorum

1 hour ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Should say - credit to the Rovers' keeper for a fantastic save from a header in the second half.  I was pretty much right behind the goal and had a good view of it, it was a brilliant save.

Yeah, I was as well and it was an immense reflex save. Hutton had a great save as well, a regular and much appreciated feature pretty much every match. Smith as said above put in a phenomenal shift. Would be interesting to see the distance he covers every game.

1 hour ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Should say - credit to the Rovers' keeper for a fantastic save from a header in the second half.  I was pretty much right behind the goal and had a good view of it, it was a brilliant save.

Was that the one from Carrick point blank header,  looked a bad miss from in front of the stand...

Fair play to Airdrie no real complaints about the result maybe a bit harsh on Rovers , if a fifth had gone in it would have been a real boot in the baws.

From a Rovers point of view the turning point was the gilt edged chance at 2-1 Roberts cut back Byrne should have taken the goalnet from the riggings with that one. Would have made the game really interesting. That being said our defending is nowhere near good enough against teams in our division never mind against a team top of L1. We need serious change in that department.

Thought Airdrie were solid team absolutely grease lightning on the break . Referee was ok not brilliant but let the game flow and only issued 2 yellow cards. Rovers had a great shout for a penalty again at 2-1. Ref should have checked Rovers version of VAR ..VCR.

Good luck in the next round guys. Two absolutely massive league games for Airdrie are more important. Back to the drawing board for Rovers.

Edited by Vodka Vic