The Buckfast Derby - Albion Rovers v Airdrie

• 3 weeks later...

For a long spell we never played the Rovers in many seasons but their relative rise and our decline , has seen us have some good derbies in the last 10 years, Both sets of fans will have awful memories of defeats and happy ones of victories. The recent run of about 15 matches has not seen a home win apart from at Airdrie a few years ago. That stat suggests an Airdrie win but football is always played on the pitch not the archives, so I think that our recent excellent revival will see us narrowly win. I believe Rovers have been leaking goals and that should help our current set up. It is a Derby however and you can never tell! Pay at the gate could attract a 1.000+ crowd assuming the frost does not hit Coatbridge. Saw the Ultras guy singing a song on "View from the Terrace" and his guitar playing was to my taste.

6 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Never look forward to these games

Cant see anything other than an away win, airdrie playing well and we aren't

It has to get mild at end of the week so game should be on

Chris , I know you always look forward to every Rovers game just as I have done over 50 years for Airdrie. You are right about current form but you never know. Glad to know the mildness looks like coming back nearer Saturday  and that your weather forecasting will be as accurate as your football prediction. Enjoy the game!

For a long spell we never played the Rovers in many seasons but their relative rise and our decline , has seen us have some good derbies in the last 10 years, Both sets of fans will have awful memories of defeats and happy ones of victories. The recent run of about 15 matches has not seen a home win apart from at Airdrie a few years ago. That stat suggests an Airdrie win but football is always played on the pitch not the archives, so I think that our recent excellent revival will see us narrowly win. I believe Rovers have been leaking goals and that should help our current set up. It is a Derby however and you can never tell! Pay at the gate could attract a 1.000+ crowd assuming the frost does not hit Coatbridge. Saw the Ultras guy singing a song on "View from the Terrace" and his guitar playing was to my taste.
I wonder if you're being disingenuous here, you cheeky Chappie, or is it just serendipity that allows me to (gleefully) point out that, 15 matches ago, Rovers won 7-2 ( when, by coincidence, another Chappie had a fine game )?
Unfortunately, I must acknowledge that, 16 matches ago, Airdrie won 4-0.

58 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Thread title, mods, please. Surely " The Buckfast Classico "?

El Buckfastico is classier... cue Coatbridge and class jokes 🙄

Anyway, I can't see anything other than a doing here but will pray for the magic of the cup to shine upon us.

18 hours ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

I wonder if you're being disingenuous here, you cheeky Chappie, or is it just serendipity that allows me to (gleefully) point out that, 15 matches ago, Rovers won 7-2 ( when, by coincidence, another Chappie had a fine game )?
Unfortunately, I must acknowledge that, 16 matches ago, Airdrie won 4-0.

Fair point indeed and if I had gone back one more game I would have had to revisit that thrashing which I've done before elsewhere, and I want to avoid the pain.  Well done in enjoying that great win. It was interesting to read Paul Martin's memories of it in the Advertiser. I had forgotten that Gemmell scored straight from our terrible penalty miss , to make It 5-1. I liked Jim Chapman as a player but I hope you don't have as good a team now as you had then (despite the 4-0 defeat). Match weather looks safe so I look forward to the game.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Fair point indeed and if I had gone back one more game I would have had to revisit that thrashing which I've done before elsewhere, and I want to avoid the pain.  Well done in enjoying that great win. It was interesting to read Paul Martin's memories of it in the Advertiser. I had forgotten that Gemmell scored straight from our terrible penalty miss , to make It 5-1. I liked Jim Chapman as a player but I hope you don't have as good a team now as you had then (despite the 4-0 defeat). Match weather looks safe so I look forward to the game.

These games were long, long after Jim Chapman's time. 

Not many Rovers fans looking forward to this one as they fear a humpin’. It’s a good draw for Rovers (and Airdrie), hopefully it will be a full house.

Airdrie are flying and after an iffy start have found a way to get points although according to my Airdrie supporting brother in law some of it hasn’t been pretty which is by the by. For football fans there is no better feeling than your team out of the blue finding form- the free flowing football can follow.

If I could sum up Rovers this season - we definitely have a better quality of player it’s the character to dig out wins from games where we are lacking and as Chapelhall Chap alludes to - Rovers leak goals. Much is made of the San Siro playing surface which I don’t think will make much difference. 

The biggest positive for Rovers is it’s the cup and sometimes there is no rhyme nor reason. A replay would be a good result for us, if it goes to form I’ll go 3-1 Airdrie.

Edited by Vodka Vic

It was Scott Chaplain - he of the hat-trick - to whom I was referring. Not surprised, really, that you've wiped his contribution from your memory....

Hoping for a good tussle on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

These games were long, long after Jim Chapman's time. 

My mistake and I now remember it was Scott Chaplain-senior moment - he was also a very good player.