Stranraer vs Clyde

I'll make this concession to the Larry Hoods of the world. You know, those who I think I prefer personal vindication to Clyde's success. What does take the edge off of our happily increasingly-rare failure is just how desperate it ends up making you tadgers look season on season; jumping, as you do, so asininely on upticks in our form, itching to cobble an argument together or to find a statistic that makes something I've said look wrong. You invariably start the season accusing me of being too hasty about judgement, have a pop when we pick up over a few games - the irony being lost on you completely - and then become enjoyably quiet as the season reaches its conclusion, when there's simply no way to rubbish what I've said. You are, collectively, the Stevie Barretts of this forum; you just keep the money warm for me.

On a more consensus-building note...! I liked the realism on the Clyde 19/20 thread this week. We're competitive, but we're in a pack of teams which can match us on their day, and we still have a very wobbly defence; none of our usual four would walk into another league one starting XI. They just wouldn't. We need the experience, leadership and guile of Love, Cuddihy and probably Rankin back in the side to make sure we're not shipping early goals and, from then on, to ensure we're not spending the balance of our time defending. We can be a good soak-and-counter team, but not every week. No team gets promoted doing that; Graham Roberts Clyde being a great and memorable example. Another side that couldn't really play without a five-man midfield; another side which suffered from a lack of experience; another side which didn't really have an enduring plan B. When they did their homework, when they executed tailored tactics week-on-week, they could beat any bugger. But in the round, they were middle-of-the-road. And so will we be without some choice additions in January. Wouldn't be a bad thing mind - a consolidation season. Two full-time and one partly full-time teams in the league; you've always got fourth place in sight anyway.

Be interesting to see how we square-up against Peterhead, with them having beaten Raith today. Onwards and upwards.