St Johnstone v Hearts, 30th October 2019

Glorious. Tommy Wright’s St Johnstone is back. 

we’ve found the perfect midfield combination in McCann and Davidson, with McCann the stand out player in the first half and then Davidson taking over in the second. May was excellent up front on his own. Didn’t look like scoring but he a better all round player now than he was in 2014 on the evidence I’ve seen so far. Much more unselfish. Duffy was much better and that was much more last season’s version of Kerr too. 

Has to be said too - Kane was very good when he came on. It’s very frustrating because he can’t seem to do that when he starts but helped May out a lot with his presence. 

my word Hearts are pish. I don’t fear relegation so much after that. 

I feel quite emotional this evening. Firstly, delighted for the young lads at the back who have kept their first clean sheet. They still look vulnerable but it was a very disciplined performance. They should be proud of themselves and hopefully it's a massive boost to their confidence. Secondly, young Ali McCann is a potential superstar. In a match which was a bit messy at times, he was still able to take control of the situation and stood out alongside Murray in the centre of midfield. Thirdly, it's another win which lifts us up to 8th and three points away from the top six. This team is a young, work-in-progress project and they are looking better each week. I forgot what it's like to enjoy football recently and the last few days have really lifted my spirits. 

It was a bit of a war of attrition, but I found the match engrossing and quite enjoyed the battle.

We deserved the win as we went for it the second half and were the only team trying to create, whilst hearts showed nothing other than a long ball upto Uche and fouling Saints players at every opportunity.

Delighted for Tommy Wright after all the stick, and delighted for the defence.

Wallace Duffy wasnt brilliant, but he’s getting better with every game, and is beginning to look like he belongs at this level. A massive improvement.

Jason Kerr was outstanding. A lot of shite about him not being that good because he’d had a sticky start to the season, but both Saturday and today he’s been brilliant and looked every bit the £45m player we all thought he was.

Murray Davidson was the other stand out for me. Loads of interceptions and constantly driving us forward in the second half.  Thought Drey was better I the second half, Matty is a menace all game and McCann was good.

The whole team put in a great effort in a tough physical battle. Good to see we can grind out a 1-0 win.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Why’s that? Bigger crowd than anticipated or is that just wishful thinking?

For some reason they didnt open all the turnstiles until after kick off, at which point the queues virtually vanished. 

No idea what they were doing.

McDiarmid under the floodlights is always tremendous...

I cannot emphasise enough how absolutely shite Hearts are. They genuinely spent that entire match making wee 5 yard passes around their half before thumping it up to Uche, who would either control it, or just crumple (that time our CB simply stepped back before contact and Uche still decided to fall forward was a highlight). When he did control it, theyd then just pass it about until they lost the ball, at which point theyd lunge in and take out whichever Saints player had won the ball.

Still overshadowed in the shite stakes by the single worst referee in the world. He someone missed a blatant hand ball in the box, a goalkeeper saving a shot outside the box (to paint a picture, he ran outside the box, used his feet as he couldnt pick it up, lost control of the ball, May knocked it past him at which point he palms the ball away to prevent May being clean through, it wasnt even a hard decision) and fell for Hearts defenders falling over every single time someone was near them every single time. Hickey turning back on himself, slipping, nobody being with two yards of him, and him still getting a free kick for it 😂

For us, that's the type of game, and type of victory, that we've had our success from. Thought Kerr and Duffy were tremendous coping with Uche, especially Kerr. McCann is just unreal and it feels like hes bringing the best out Muzz too. Wouldve been a travesty if we hadnt won that game.

Seems like that was a good plan well executed by Saints. We didn’t try to play the way we did on Saturday - where we dominated the midfield and created chances fairly freely - but instead allowed Hearts all the time they wanted to knock it sideways at the back and left them only the option to shell it long to Ikpeazu. Who is absolutely garbage and should have been booked 15 minutes in.

Once we scored there was only ever one winner. Hearts didn’t have a real chance which is appalling given the time and possession they had after our goal. Did Walker touch the ball after he came on?

I’ll be interested to see the two handballs referees to by RG again. The first one certainly hit a raised arm but he may have been outside the box. For the GK’s one both his feet were certainly planted outside the box and he reached out to handle it-but there’s a very slight chance the ball was actually over the line when he touched it! Still, absolute madness. Hearts always looked more likely to hit the self destruct button rather than equalise.

Davidson was a standout performer, ably assisted by McCann and that was far more like the Jason Kerr of last season. Can’t fault any of the defence really.

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Think the goalkeepers hands were well inside the box when he stopped it, so not seeing the fuss with that one.

Be interesting to see another view, but this is Scotland, so the cameras probably didnt even catch it.

Tony Ralston looked like he was enjoying the win and clapping the fans etc at the end. I think we've at least matched foster if not bettered in terms of potential to get better in Ralston. Plus he doesn't appear to be a total nob.

Hopefully he's settling in and might stay once his Celtic contract is up.

14 minutes ago, Super_J said:

Tony Ralston looked like he was enjoying the win and clapping the fans etc at the end. I think we've at least matched foster if not bettered in terms of potential to get better in Ralston. Plus he doesn't appear to be a total nob.

Hopefully he's settling in and might stay once his Celtic contract is up.

I think if he does well at St Johnston theres a big chance he'll probably just stay.

Doesn't have a future with us with El Hamed and Frimpong.