St Johnstone v Hearts, 30th October 2019

The lush green McDiarmid Park pitch bathed in light on a cold clear late Autumn evening plays hosts to this dramatic encounter.

With a few of the other teams not far away in the table having tough matches against the OF and Aberdeen, and Livi playing Hibs, a win here for either side will likely see a decent climb up the league.

On paper, Hearts look like exactly the type of team we don't want to face; big strong striker, and a fairly solid defence. However, after dismantling Accies on Saturday, a team the Hearts cloggers are probably modelled on, we should look to get up and at them with the silky free flowing football we displayed on Saturday.

Hearts comfortably beat us twice at Tynecastle last season, but we were the better team in the 2-2 midweek draw in Perth. Expect Hearts to bring the usual one man and his dog travelling support we've become used to the past few seasons. Not too many years ago they used to easily fill the away end and be a good source of income, whereas nowadays they're no different from kilmarnock or st Mirren.

A lot will see this as must win, but I don't think a draw would be the worst result in the world as it starts a mini undefeated run to take into the Hibs match, which I would see as a style of team we are maybe better suited to beating.

Same team as at home to Accies.  There is an argument Hendry should start up front ahead of May, but can't see Tommy doing that.

Wanted 7 points, at least, from our four home games against Hamilton, Hearts, Hibs then Aberdeen.

With that in mind, I'd probably be happy enough with a point. We've struggled badly with set pieces and Hearts whole game plan seems to be "punt to Uche, Uche falls over, put ball in box for Uche", and we could struggle with that. 

We finally got reward for a decent performance so it would be nice if we could catch fire a wee bit. Only questions would be if we bring in the 8ft Estonian or stick with Duffy, if we keep the same set up or stack the midfield more defensively, if Wright stays or MoH comes in, and if May keeps his place.

I'd like the same eleven to be allowed to keep their momentum going, and it definitely seemed to be most balanced team we've played so far.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Same shape and personnel for this one please - not as if we have an obviously stronger lineup and it would be good to start with the same 11 for the first time this year. 

Let Matty terrorise Berra, McCann and Muzz should be able to deal with the likes of Clare and Bozanic. Hickey/Wright will be a good tussle. Glad that Drey managed the full 90 mins even if he's still off the pace a bit (despite some excellent balls played in on Saturday) and we have MOH in reserve. His pace could be useful cutting inside, especially against Berra late on when he's totally emptied. 

Uche gives me the right fear against our back 4 though, as does Meshino.  I've not seen much of that lad but from what I've seen he looks dangerous. If there have to be changes it might be worthwhile deploying our Estonian giant to mop up the inevitable long ball shelling, but the aforementioned Meshino/Uche would give him trouble on the deck. Duffy also likely to get hosed though and at least Vihmann can block out the floodlights. 

Sounds like Naismith won't make it which has to be a big positive for Saints. 

Looking forward to this but only because of the added spice of the points situation. As a spectacle of football the Hearts games at McDairmid recently have been about the worst of the season. Here's hoping both teams try to play a bit of football. 

2-1 Saints, May penalty and Macca with one at each end.  

11 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Uche gives me the right fear against our back 4 though, as does Meshino. 

I've seen a suggestion both will be rested in anticipation of their Semi Final at the weekend, and theyll be starting MacLean and Wighton instead...

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've seen a suggestion both will be rested in anticipation of their Semi Final at the weekend, and theyll be starting MacLean and Wighton instead...

That would be a good thing. 

Interesting, and very believable,  that Avril would prioritise the league cup over the actual league.

9 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That would be a good thing. 

Interesting, and very believable,  that Avril would prioritise the league cup over the actual league.

Tbf, Levein has never won a single medal, either as player or manager, so hes probably desperate to get that monkey off his back.

Hearts to perform a pre match Haka while the Saints players bare their arses at them.

A lone piper plays a lament on the mound between the Main and Ormond Stands.

3 Hearts fans ejected for sneaking in full fat Irn Bru and a packet of bangers, 1 Saints fan for having a catherine wheel.

Willie Collum gets the gig and gives Saints a penalty for the ball getting lodged in the gap between Berra's teeth.

1-0 Saints.

Everyone cheers.

1 hour ago, Rinky Dink said:

Hearts to perform a pre match Haka while the Saints players bare their arses at them.

A lone piper plays a lament on the mound between the Main and Ormond Stands.

3 Hearts fans ejected for sneaking in full fat Irn Bru and a packet of bangers, 1 Saints fan for having a catherine wheel.

Willie Collum gets the gig and gives Saints a penalty for the ball getting lodged in the gap between Berra's teeth.

1-0 Saints.

Everyone cheers.

7f5.gif

Edited by Darren

Evening News saying Naismith and Walker could be involved, but probably won't and will be kept for the semi.   Whelan still to be out and Meshino toiling with illness.  

How big is Hearts squad out of interest. If saints had that many players out, we’d be struggling for a first 11, let alone a full squad!

10 minutes ago, Widge said:

How big is Hearts squad out of interest. If saints had that many players out, we’d be struggling for a first 11, let alone a full squad!

First team is about 28 I think, including 3 goalies.  Of which 12 are injured or touch and go, most of them would be starters. 

It's not ideal, but we should definitely still be performing better with what we have.

I was feeling good about this game, then I watched highlights from last season at McDiarmid, seen us concede two goals from balls into the box, remembered our defence is worse this year, and now i feel like shite about the game.

Braw.