Morton v Ayr

Just now, madton said:

You were watching a different game from me if you thought we were playing a deep 451....

Think you were watching different game first half , at times you had 5 across back and continually just punted a long ball , it was as clear as day , if you could not see that I would be astonished 

16 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Think you were watching different game first half , at times you had 5 across back and continually just punted a long ball , it was as clear as day , if you could not see that I would be astonished 

Pretty sure that was similar to what they tried as Somerset as well? 

Very poor first half from both teams, but we stepped up in the second half considerable and what a strike from McGowan. Thought Doolan was very good when he came on. Moff looks really off it probably needs a break to reenergise. Docherty our best overall player apart from his howler for there second, but Doohan should be saving that straight at him under his body, on toSaturday and can’t wait think it will be a great atmosphere.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

See the Morton fans giving their keeper pelters for 2 of the 3 goals :blink:. Ends up making 2 great saves in the end to stop it being 4 or 5!

I thought their keeper was ok but their midfield and defence were horrendous. I can't see how they can blame the keeper for our goals and he also made a few good saves. If I remember correctly they blamed him for the goals at Somerset when again I thought he actually saved them from a right drubbing................

51 minutes ago, madton said:

You were watching a different game from me if you thought we were playing a deep 451....

You appeared to have no balance in the side with everything coming down the left and absolutely nothing on the right hand side of the park. I also thought you looked quite good when actually attempting a more positive attacking game (like the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half) but for some reason once going a goal up you decided to stick everyone behind the ball and go all negative again.

This basically played right into our hands as there's no doubt we were there for the taking when we went behind as our confidence was pretty shot..........

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

Pretty sure that was similar to what they tried as Somerset as well? 

At Somerset we played a narrow back 3 in the first half which was continually exposed with simple balls over the top and run round the outside of the 3. Not really the same. 

The one consistent thing this season is our disorganisation and individual mistakes. 

3 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

See the Morton fans giving their keeper pelters for 2 of the 3 goals :blink:. Ends up making 2 great saves in the end to stop it being 4 or 5!

Complete nonsense - people are only, entirely correctly, giving him the pelters for third, and the two saves at 3-2 are basic saves that no professional goalkeeper should fail to make. That he made them is no defence when he’s genuinely been directly responsible for more than 10 opposition goals already.

Great to see Craig Moore scoring as he's had a hellish time of it. Bit of a howler from Doc and Doohan for Morton's equaliser, Some finish from McCowan and well done to McGuffie for not bottling the challenge and getting a wee bit of luck for his goal.  Watched Mark Kerr's interview and he was buzzing as you'd expect. Also good to see him commenting on the injury situation and how we need to be realistic and manage it better than has been done in the last year and a half. 

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

You appeared to have no balance in the side with everything coming down the left and absolutely nothing on the right hand side of the park. I also thought you looked quite good when actually attempting a more positive attacking game (like the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half) but for some reason once going a goal up you decided to stick everyone behind the ball and go all negative again.

This basically played right into our hands as there's no doubt we were there for the taking when we went behind as our confidence was pretty shot..........

It was interesting that we seemed to deliberately target Morton's right-back area with the majority of Doohan's goal kicks and clearances in the first-half sent in Welsh's direction. I don't think it was a particularly successful tactic and probably contributed to a hugely underwhelming first 45 mins. 

We looked better when we matched Morton and went to 4231, ultimately getting the winner.  Kerr hasn't been afraid adjust and tinker his tactics during games and that's encouraging. 

Special mention for Robbie Muirhead who I thought was absolutely abysmal. 

1 minute ago, Kitty_Boy said:

It was interesting that we seemed to deliberately target Morton's right-back area with the majority of Doohan's goal kicks and clearances in the first-half sent in Welsh's direction. I don't think it was a particularly successful tactic and probably contributed to a hugely underwhelming first 45 mins. 

We looked better when we matched Morton and went to 4231, ultimately getting the winner.  Kerr hasn't been afraid adjust and tinker his tactics during games and that's encouraging. 

Special mention for Robbie Muirhead who I thought was absolutely abysmal. 

Yes, we definitely cancelled each other out in the first half and we didn't play enough football, however the second half saw the likes of McCowan, Moffat, Forrest and Doc get hold of the ball and actually start to pass it again which certainly caused Morton problems.

Again I thought Harvie was very good, he appears to be growing in confidence and stature with every passing game and has developed into a top player imho. I fear we may struggle to hold onto him as between performing with us and the Scotland U21's I'm sure he'll be on the radar of many clubs as no doubt will both McCowan & Forrest.........

People not at the game looking at that result would have thought this was a belter of a game, it wasn't, it was honking with 2 teams punting it back and forward. That said, the 2nd Ayr goal was a lovely strike, the 3rd was just ridiculous!

Very worried about us now, we've been scraping along with our home form and don't look like taking anything on the road whoever we play, the team has players who give effort but are basically haddies with the exception of a few and we appear to have a manager who has a problem making subs. I had high hopes when the ginger prince was appointed, so far it's been pretty p!sh!

Edited by M0rtonfc

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Complete nonsense - people are only, entirely correctly, giving him the pelters for third, and the two saves at 3-2 are basic saves that no professional goalkeeper should fail to make. That he made them is no defence when he’s genuinely been directly responsible for more than 10 opposition goals already.

Total nonsense indeed, the 3rd goal he gets down low (which all keepers should be able to do anyway) and for some reason palms it into the middle of the box, ye know, the danger area! Correct me if I'm wrong but are keepers trained NOT to do that? He's a haddie, end of.