Queens v Inverness

Gutted about that.

We were much the better side in the first half and still had the better chances in the second one.  By midway through it though, it was clear it wasn't happening.  The goal at the end was immaterial.

We might well have won each of our last two and have managed to win neither.

Fantastic result after our last 2 games. Wasn’t at the game so only going off of twitter but it seemed like Queens, especially Dobbie, missed a hell of a lot of chances. No idea how clear cut they were but it would be good if we have managed to dig out a result that we didn’t really deserve to get.

8 minutes ago, ThomCat said:

Should have at least drawn that. Dobbie's miss at the start of the second half!

Dobbie on form tonight we would have won that game he missed the best chance of the game with that chance at the start of the 2nd half very frustrating night .

I'm more annoyed than gutted. I thought we were awful in the first half and offered nothing. I can't recall us even testing Ridgers. ICT were poor as well but kept the ball and took their chance.

In the second Dobbie should have scored twice and we had another couple of half chances but failed to score. ICT got the inevitable counter attack goal (which I'd like to see as I thought it was offside but Mercer might have been deeper than I thought.

Tonight highlighted our need for a midfielder who holds the ball, especially when the long ball isn't working. Neither Hamilton or Dobbie got anything in the air against the giant ICT defence but it seemed to be our only move as the midfield was continually bypassed again.

I'd like to see the challenge on Mercer again as well, thought there was possibly a penalty claim there.

We deserved a point after the second half but only have ourselves to blame.

How many attempts did Dobbie have tonight - 11?? I'm sure he would have taken some of these last season.

Thought all threat went in first half when Hamilton was pulled out right midfield and Pybus went centrally and when Hamilton went off.

What a hugely frustrating night that was!  We'll play ten times worse than that this season and pick up three points.  I thought we were as good, perhaps even better, than against Dundee United, we just couldn't find the net.  The very least we deserved was a draw, but really with the chances Dobbie alone missed we should have been looking at another high scoring home win.  It had a feeling of being "one of those nights" very early on though.

Before I get accused of having bitter, blue-tinted specs on, I should point out that Inverness contributed to a pretty entertaining game.  Both teams had spells on top and fair play to the vistors for taking the chances that came their way whilst we continually fluffed our lines.  If you are an ICT fan you'll view it as a textbook, clinical away performance and job done.  My view was obstructed for the opener so I'm not sure how it found it's way in.  The second was a classic sucker punch with us committing players forward and leaving gaps at the back.  We deserved to lose a goal for Holt's awful dive in the Inverness box which they then countered from.

I thought Mercer, Brownlie, Osman and Hamilton were the best for us (although Mercer did make a bit of an arse of a headed clearance for the second goal).  Osman is the destroyer we've been missing in the middle of the park, but with composure on the ball and also an aerial threat.  He faded a bit but that is purely a match fitness issue I would think.  He keeps his place ahead of Kidd every day of the week as far as I'm concerned.  Hamilton again did all the unsung graft up front and once he went off we never really looked like doing much in an attacking sense.  Brownlie just continues to be a powerhouse at the back.

As previously stated Dobbie had a night to forget.  It's heartbreaking viewing to be honest so I won't dwell on it.  Normally the "sitters" he misses are closer to half-chances for mere mortals, but some of the chances tonight were genuine bona fide sitters.  Paton honked the place out for 45 minutes and it was no surprise he didn't reappear for the second half.  I hope for his sake he picked up a knock otherwise his lack of mobility is a real concern.  Unfortunately his replacement Murray was no better.  He has the enthusiasm that Paton so badly lacks, but unfortunately about 1% of his ability.  He's not up to this level I'm afraid.  Kilday frustrates the life out of me.  One minute he is reading a pass to perfection before intercepting it and going on a 40 yard run to start an attack.  The next he is being far too casual and giving away the ball in a dangerous area.  In the main I like him, but Brownlie being the least-erratic of our two centre backs is cause for concern in itself!

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought we were awful in the first half and offered nothing. 

I'm genuinely baffled by this, to the extent that I think I'm maybe being whooshed.

We were regularly dangerous in the first half, with their goal very much arriving against the run of play.

I'm genuinely baffled by this, to the extent that I think I'm maybe being whooshed.
We were regularly dangerous in the first half, with their goal very much arriving against the run of play.
Yeah I've clearly been watching a different game by the look of things. I honestly can't recall Ridgers having a save to make. We had some decent crosses in to the box from set-pieces that we could have done better with but I can't think of a single time I was 'up off my seat' in the first half.

I thought Caley scored and looked comfortable without causing us any other trouble.

I thought we played well last night and certainly merited a draw. Both teams struggled to create clear cut chances and neither keeper was greatly troubled.

When Dobbie uncharacteristically snatched at his big chance early in second half it was destined to be one of those nights.

Thought Mercer had a very good match, and despite a couple of mistakes, Kilday was excellent. If Osman plays as solidly as that with very few recent games then on the face of it we have made a good signing.

The Alloa game haunts us because a win in that one would have consolidated our top half position. We could and should have had another 3 points from last two games but it is difficult to fault the effort of the players and the underlying performances.

Reading people's views of last night's game, we constantly cut open the Inverness defence and created chance after chance. I must have been at a different game their keeper had two saves all the second half and one of them was going by the post. Felt on a number of occasions we played into their hands with high balls into the box instead of mixing it up a wee bit. Bar Dobbie miss it was our only clear chance. We worked hard but desperately miss a clever midfielder, who can pick a pass to break down a defence. On the whole disappointed but have a feeling alot of teams will struggle against this strong Inverness team, and come away feeling the same. 

Surprised after our last two results, I thought that two long journeys in a few days would have fecked us.
Fair play to the 39 diehards who made the trip. I hope for a small group of them though that Dumfries votes Conservative again in December or they will have absolutely no patter for the next visit [emoji38]

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It was an odd game. I thought, like you, we were better in the first half than the second in terms of our general play. The goal was against the run of play and was sloppily defended though it was a terrific strike from Doran right in the corner. However, I see where 19QOS19 is coming from. For all our decent football first half, we largely didn't trouble their goal. Osman should have done better from close range early on when a loose ball at a corner dropped to him 6 yards out but he was falling backwards and scooped it over. Dobbie snatched at a couple when vintage Dobbie would have worked the keeper, but fundamentally, Ridgers had nothing to do that I couldn't have done.

Second half we didn't play as well but probably had more obvious chances.  Dobbie should have scored at least once, flashed another right across the face of goal and we had other opportunities. We never worked Ridgers enough though. Dobbie had one of those nights again. He snatched at things, seemed to rush them and rarely hit target. Every chance we had fell to him. The longer the game went on, for all we had plenty of the ball, we looked less and less like scoring. In the last 10 minutes or so when Brownlile more or less relocated up front and we had Murray and Oliver on, we actually never looked less like scoring in the whole game. There was an inevitability about being caught with a late sucker punch. I'd like to see the 2nd goal again, I thought Todorov looked offside but it may just have been my angle. It was another terrific finish though. Mattered not one bit as the final whistle went before we could put the ball back into play anyway.

It was just a strange game. The stats will show we had much the better of it yet I never thought on the night we were particularly hard done by. Inverness looked big, strong, functional, and largely kept us at arm's length where they wanted us, though had Dobbie had his shooting boots on it may have been different. Disappointing week. It al looked so much more positive at half time on Saturday! Now we really need to get something at Dunfermline to avoid being bottom three.

Osman was encouraging. He is a unit, big and strong and clearly a set piece threat, but also possessed good touch. He's not all that mobile and clearly needs to get fitter but he offers something different again.

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was an odd game. I thought, like you, we were better in the first half than the second in terms of our general play. The goal was against the run of play and was sloppily defended though it was a terrific strike from Doran right in the corner. However, I see where 19QOS19 is coming from. For all our decent football first half, we largely didn't trouble their goal. Osman should have done better from close range early on when a loose ball at a corner dropped to him 6 yards out but he was falling backwards and scooped it over. Dobbie snatched at a couple when vintage Dobbie would have worked the keeper, but fundamentally, Ridgers had nothing to do that I couldn't have done.

Second half we didn't play as well but probably had more obvious chances.  Dobbie should have scored at least once, flashed another right across the face of goal and we had other opportunities. We never worked Ridgers enough though. Dobbie had one of those nights again. He snatched at things, seemed to rush them and rarely hit target. Every chance we had fell to him. The longer the game went on, for all we had plenty of the ball, we looked less and less like scoring. In the last 10 minutes or so when Brownlile more or less relocated up front and we had Murray and Oliver on, we actually never looked less like scoring in the whole game. There was an inevitability about being caught with a late sucker punch. I'd like to see the 2nd goal again, I thought Todorov looked offside but it may just have been my angle. It was another terrific finish though. Mattered not one bit as the final whistle went before we could put the ball back into play anyway.

It was just a strange game. The stats will show we had much the better of it yet I never thought on the night we were particularly hard done by. Inverness looked big, strong, functional, and largely kept us at arm's length where they wanted us, though had Dobbie had his shooting boots on it may have been different. Disappointing week. It al looked so much more positive at half time on Saturday! Now we really need to get something at Dunfermline to avoid being bottom three.

Osman was encouraging. He is a unit, big and strong and clearly a set piece threat, but also possessed good touch. He's not all that mobile and clearly needs to get fitter but he offers something different again.

First goal was a deflection off Kilday, & secon it seemed Todorov was maybe just off his foot/leg just in front of Kilday.. 

23 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

First goal was a deflection off Kilday, & secon it seemed Todorov was maybe just off his foot/leg just in front of Kilday.. 

Just seen the goals. Couldn't see the deflection off Kilday from my angle on the night but that's actually a massive direction changer. It's not going anywhere near goal before that. I take back the credit from Doran then but if you don't buy a ticket you can't win the lottery!

Second one clearly is offside, even if not by as much as I thought at the time. As I said though it's not terribly relevant except to Todorov himself. Score, miss, shoot at the keeper, offside, whatever, the match was still over the next time the ball was kicked.

A short podcast on our trip to Palmerston:

https://thewynessshuffle.podbean.com/e/lady-gaga-and-the-false-eleven/

Please bear with (or skip) the car noise in the first 5 minutes.

Any Doonhamers able to translate the word the old boy uses to describe Billy Houliston?

Where in the clip does he say it?

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 minutes ago, CaleyStan said:

A short podcast on our trip to Palmerston:

https://thewynessshuffle.podbean.com/e/lady-gaga-and-the-false-eleven/

Please bear with (or skip) the car noise in the first 5 minutes.

Any Doonhamers able to translate the word the old boy uses to describe Billy Houliston?

Where in the clip does he say it?

8:26

10 minutes ago, CaleyStan said:

8:26

Sounded like "Ribble". :lol: Not sure if it's wise to keep the guy's comment that he'd rather drive to Dumfries and back on a Tuesday night than spend time with his family, especially if his wife uses social media. :shutup 

Edited by welshbairn