EC v QP

8 minutes ago, I Zingari said:

It's very easy to blame the manager for the team's failings. The simple truth is that Queen's are no longer able to recruit sufficient players of the quality required to do other than struggle in the SPFL.

Correct. The manager has a lot of contacts and spends a lot of time trying to persuade players to come to Queen's. The bottom line is most don't come as we can't offer money.

Did we get the answer tweeted to the average age of our squad today. Would be really interested to know that!

35 minutes ago, I Zingari said:

It's very easy to blame the manager for the team's failings. The simple truth is that Queen's are no longer able to recruit sufficient players of the quality required to do other than struggle in the SPFL.

I get what you mean but under Gus Macpherson he didn’t exactly sign superstars, he was able to coach them into a system that made them effective. Fotheringham, Mcgeever, Cummins and many others joined with not the most glowing reputation but because we had someone in charge who was tactically superior to most managers, they became vital cogs within the team and thrived for us. Unfortunately Roberts has not shown he is able to use his players in any type of system and ultimately it is costing us badly

Edited by qpfc

2 hours ago, qpfc said:

As much as Roberts seems like a decent guy, he is utterly hopeless as a manager. His record minus the Berwick and Albion Rovers results is beyond bad and at this rate we’re heading straight to the bottom of the table. It’s frustrating cause I don’t even think the group of players we’ve got are that bad. I was willing to give Roberts a chance this season to build his own squad but right now he just doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing with the team
I’d imagine not much movement will happen on the managerial front until the vote has happened however. Next couple of games are absolutely massive

Something has gone awfully wrong since the start of the season. The squad look to be good enough individually to easily maintain a mid to upper league position but it is just not happening. I suspect a mighty drop in confidence either due to disharmony within the squad, coach/manager not able to get his ideas across or accepted, or just fear of being dropped. There has been an extraordinary amount of chopping and changing this season. I can understand that at the beginning but by now Roberts should know his settled selection and formation barring injuries. For the past few games I have watched Roberts' body language quite closely and I see a man not comfortable with himself. His is edgy, argumentative, and does not demonstrate anything positive. I am not calling for dismissals but I do think it is time for people to sit down and talk about the problem and offer help to those who need it to lift the team spirit and start putting in performances which can secure some points. The off field situation can't be helping but quite frankly all the EGMs in the world will be pointless if we do not maintain league status this season. The next two games could see us either in safely or propping up the league.

Good win Elgin, played some good stuff and scored 3 good goals. I thought we did well to come back from the equaliser, which was the result of poor defending, which in the past we might not have done. Thought we managed the game pretty well in second, again something we have not done well in the past.

Cant see how QP would finish below at least Albion and Brechin. They will not be far off from the play offs and just going through a sticky spell.

Individually good players but as a team at the moment it's just not happening.
Tactics were not on display today and if there was a plan it was hard to see what it was.
Hate to say it but continue like this and we could be in the play off at the wrong end of the league come the end of the season.
It really was that bad.

4 hours ago, qpfc said:

I get what you mean but under Gus Macpherson he didn’t exactly sign superstars, he was able to coach them into a system that made them effective. Fotheringham, Mcgeever, Cummins and many others joined with not the most glowing reputation but because we had someone in charge who was tactically superior to most managers, they became vital cogs within the team and thrived for us. Unfortunately Roberts has not shown he is able to use his players in any type of system and ultimately it is costing us badly

What MacPherson achieved at Queen's Park was remarkable in the circumstances. The stick he took from some quarters was nothing short of a disgrace tbh.

Thankfully Elgin put up decent highlights which will help those who weren’t at the game see some of the worst defending all season. I’ve been loyal to Wullie for what he done for us in the past but he’s been a liability this year and I’ve reached the point that it’s time he had a shot on the bench. Jamieson was the only one doing his job well. Block competed well but doesn’t look his best at full-back. Gibby was poor and his tantrums don’t warrant the armband. The team generally lacks leaders. Foy got a wee run late on so we’ll see how that develops next week.

Up front, one-trick pony Agyeman was easily marshalled, Moore was industrious as always but too light for a well-organised big defence. Sal started brightly, as did the team but his poor touch skills limit him as a target player. No idea what McGrory’s role was; barely touched the ball.

Second half they at least competed. Summers clipped the bar and Mortimer got himself into a 1v1 which none of his teammates had managed but the keeper got the better of him. Other than that it was another dysfunctional day.

Tactically, he played 442 which some fans clamoured for. Hasn’t changed the outcome. I’d have had Luke Main instead of McGrory. The Elgin pitch looks nice but is cruelly uneven and not for ball players. With Block out of position we were too light in the middle. Lidouren had a decent shift but looked like a man on his own. At the end of it all Elgin outplayed us all over the park and took their chances. Simple as that.

With regard to the ‘start of the season versus now’ comparisons, we had a hopeful start in the league cup last season too. Perhaps, with no knowledge of our team at all, the fact we weren’t humped in the LC gave us hope. Reality is we weren’t winning games over 90 mins nor scoring goals freely. Exactly where we are now. The deception was carried into the league with early wins against two teams who still sit beneath us. Everyone else in the league has gotten their motors running and we’re still spluttering. But it’s hard to see where the improvement is coming from. We’ve struggled getting goals all season but we’re losing more now, and mostly due to shambolic defending and individual errors. Blame the staff if you like but it’s blindingly obvious to me that without better players in key positions this is about the level QP will be at.

I think we are missing Magee hugely. He was really coming on to a game. Gibson is past his best but hopefully Foy can come in. I commented some time back regarding the Crawford signing and was shot down in flames. Why do we have him? We need to consider a goalkeeping change. Willie Muir has lost the place at the moment. 

I think we are missing Magee hugely. He was really coming on to a game. Gibson is past his best but hopefully Foy can come in. I commented some time back regarding the Crawford signing and was shot down in flames. Why do we have him? We need to consider a goalkeeping change. Willie Muir has lost the place at the moment. 

Crawford’s trying to get back to fitness but should be close. I was very impressed with Hegharty at the Celtic game. Agree completely with Magee.

40 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

Completely agree. The defensive solidity we had early on in the season has completely disappeared since Magee’s injury and I feel like the combination of Gibson’s injuries over the years are starting to affect his performances, which is a shame as he used to be an extremely reliable performer 

Would unfortunately need to agree with you on Muir. Fantastic keeper for us but the individual mistakes he’s made in recent weeks means that a couple of weeks on the bench may be necessary. Would like to see Hegharty in goals, looks a very promising goalkeeper 

Edited by qpfc

7 hours ago, qpfc said:

Would unfortunately need to agree with you on Muir. Fantastic keeper for us but the individual mistakes he’s made in recent weeks means that a couple of weeks on the bench may be necessary. Would like to see Hegharty in goals, looks a very promising goalkeeper 

Sorry but Jacques is not ready for the first team. If Willie was to be dropped then I'd bring back Kieran McDougall from his loan spell at Edinburgh Uni. Playing first team football in a struggling Lowland League team is great experience for him.

Elgin looked sharp, but really we made it easy for them. We're losing very soft goals, and for me Lidouren, Galt and Jamieson the only ones with pass marks. We haven't looked like scoring a goal from open play all season, and even our penalty was very poorly hit. I thought we surrendered the midfield and relied on long balls, Moore's running and Salim's  knock-ons. How long do we persist with this? It's not gonna work.

Not sure where we go from here though. We have talent there, but we're relying on too many young developing players. As was the case last season, the early confidence and fluidity is replaced by panic and lack of ideas.

It's time for Roberts to go in my opinion. He is not a manager in my view. As people have said Gus knew how to manage a team. Unfortunately Marks squad does not have any depth to it and to many lightweight players for league 2 who are getting brushed aside by street wise league 2 teams. His record is awful since being appointed full time manager. I agree to many of our players are not playing well but that's all we have just now. To me we need a new goalkeeper, a proper right back, we have 4 centre half's to choose  from and 2 left backs. I also believe Gibby is past his best and I hate to say that.  Midfield we have 5 Centre midfielders Block, McGrory, Thomson, Main and Lindoren. All very young and good footballers but Mark does not know his best combination.  Will Thomson stick about after December wee don't know. Out wide we have Galt, Purdue and Alfie. Galt is the only one with any impact for our side. I'm sorry but Alfie doesn't do it for me. He has to dump all these stupid touches and use his pace to beat  players more. Upfront is were Mark has let himself down incredibly. Moore works very hard but is not a goalscorer. What's the point in Sal winning all the high balls with nobody there to take advantage. We should have at least another 2 forwards so we can change our game. We will have to bring them in ASAP.  So many league 2 games are what gus used to call percentage football. Punting the ball forward and you have a 50% chance of winning the next ball. This game is common in our league but our squad is not good at that. It tells when our best games of the season have been against higher level teams. I like the idea of Stevie Aitken an experienced manager coming in.