Dumbarton v Peterhead

Although we were good defensively today there were a few half chances that on another day the opposition would have taken. No criticism of Neill or McGeever who were both excellent, and Tumility who continues to impress.

Wasn’t convinced by Brennan who had a few dodgy moments and PJ had an off day. Summed up by the lack of a final ball when 3 on 2 midway through the second half. Layne want great either but got very little from the ref and was manhandled the majority of the game.

On the ref, how has he not booked the Peterhead boy for the worst attempt at a dive you’ll see all season? Poor from both of them.

It’s a win though and we’ll take that over a performance all day, every day. Still improvement needed ahead of next weeks trip to Airdrie but I’m sure Duffy knows that.

Also good to see the BBC film crew at the game today for the View from the Terrace. Apparently being aired a week Friday.

Believe it or not the diver was Ben Armour. All that travelling must mean he has less time for a haircut.

Agree with everything above. Did we score with our only shot on target?! I can't remember the Peterhead keeper having any notable saves.

I thought Neill and McGeever were excellent as a centre half pairing. They won almost everything in the air all afternoon. Man of the match could have gone to either but McGeever probably deserved it with his goal.

Joe McKee had some nice touches and passes but ultimately ran out of steam. JP Crossan is one of those frustrating players who can produce moments of magic, but today he was greedy and should have passed in the final third instead of trying for goal himself.

We were extremely lucky to catch Rory McAllister on an off day. Peterhead were the better team and, if they continue playing like that, will get results to move them out of the relegation/playoff spots.

Given we only took 1 point from Airdrie, East Fife and Clyde combined, when we deserved a lot more, you have to take getting all three when you play poorly.
I felt Clyde more than deserved their win and we were fairly lucky to sneak the point against East Fife. We probably deserved a point against Airdrie so overall I feel a point from those 3 was a fair outcome.

Win ugly as they say, and full credit to the centre-backs who were outstanding.

Any win in this division is a good one, but Duffy rode his luck twice today. Firstly, pairing Carsy and Hutton had the midfield again looking stodgy, and when Carswell was booked he became much less effective and should probably have been replaced.

I think the team looks better with Carswell next to Neill in defence. Neill looks much more solid when he knows he has to go for every ball and Hutton is far better when Carswell isn't there. We also missed Langan today. We created nothing today and looked a far better team without Mc Geever. I'm not saying he had a poor game just that the team is better balanced with Carswell in defence

Positives 
Couple of clean sheets on the spin is notable given how honking our defence was earlier in the season. See if they can keep it going.

Seems to be some promising signs of a team spirit developing that’s been a bit lacking in the last few seasons. 

Negative

Wasn’t a particularly impressive performance.

7 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

I think the team looks better with Carswell next to Neill in defence. Neill looks much more solid when he knows he has to go for every ball and Hutton is far better when Carswell isn't there. We also missed Langan today. We created nothing today and looked a far better team without Mc Geever. I'm not saying he had a poor game just that the team is better balanced with Carswell in defence

Carswell hasn't kicked his own arse yet this year. I'd be dropping him for Langan next week. McGeever was a rock, won us the game and is one of our only aerial threats. I honestly think it's the dynamic Langan gives in midfield we missed rather than anything to do with Carswell not being at the back.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Carswell hasn't kicked his own arse yet this year. I'd be dropping him for Langan next week. McGeever was a rock, won us the game and is one of our only aerial threats. I honestly think it's the dynamic Langan gives in midfield we missed rather than anything to do with Carswell not being at the back.

I love Carsy more than most, but I'd go along with this. Aside from a couple of good games he's been really, really slack this season. His passing hasn't been great and he's conceded plenty of cheap fouls and the like. Hutton has, imo, been excellent for most of the season. He looks fit, aggressive and dominant and Duffy's really got him playing like the midfielder Aitken seemed to think he was. McKee has been very good too and, whilst you can tell his inexperienced and he can be inconsistent, Langan looked like he was getting better and better.

What I would say is that Carsy seemed to be our most advanced midfielder in the first-half. Now given McKee got a hat-trick of first-half assists from that position against Forfar that was a bit surprising - especially when Carsy is evidently not an attacking midfielder. 

On the game as a whole, it was a brutal watch - but those are normally the sort of games we lost, so I'm delighted wee dug out three points. McGeever and Neill were nothing short of outstanding all game - big handsome Morgyn was probably my MOTM (again) based on the fact I don't think he lost a single aerial battle for about the third week in a row, but there can be no complaints about McGeever picking it up given he scored. Fair play to Duffy, in their first few games they looked like a clown-school duo, but they're working really well together - they're both vocal now too, which really wasn't the case early in the season.

Duffy's also got a team who want to win for him. Sure it might not be pretty, but compare the desire we're seeing from this season's squad to Aitken's and you'll see the difference a manager can make, especially one who brings in players based on his opinion and not reputation.

Elsewhere I thought Tumilty was his usual impressive self and McKee and Hutton were neat and tidy. PJ was frustrating as anything and Frizzell looked classy when he was on the ball -  but wasn't involved enough unfortunately. Up top Layne is frustrating as hell. Spends 89 minutes fouling people, not challenging for headers and falling over, but goes prime Drogba to roll his defender and set up the goal. We badly need other options in January - but I guess he deserves credit for how effective he can be.

As for Peterhead, well they looked like I expected. Plenty of good players but just missing something - maybe not unlike us last season they don't have the desire to win ugly games like that if that makes sense? McAllister looked an absolute shadow of the player he was, a prime Rory would've left with hat-trick yesterday, but aside from Jack Leitch it was difficult to see who would find a bit of magic to draw them level. Part of me thinks they'll really struggle for the remainder of the season, the other part of me looks at some of the players they have and can't understand why they would.

18 hours ago, mike rankine said:

Agree with everything above. Did we score with our only shot on target?! I can't remember the Peterhead keeper having any notable saves.

I thought Neill and McGeever were excellent as a centre half pairing. They won almost everything in the air all afternoon. Man of the match could have gone to either but McGeever probably deserved it with his goal.

Joe McKee had some nice touches and passes but ultimately ran out of steam. JP Crossan is one of those frustrating players who can produce moments of magic, but today he was greedy and should have passed in the final third instead of trying for goal himself.

We were extremely lucky to catch Rory McAllister on an off day. Peterhead were the better team and, if they continue playing like that, will get results to move them out of the relegation/playoff spots.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! 

You weren't that lucky to catch Rory on an off day.

He's not had an 'on' day this season, but having watched the highlights, I see what you mean!

Edited by As Easterly as it gets!
Itchy finger syndrome

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Meant to say too, if Peterhead don't plan on using David Ferguson can you send him to us? He'll slot in lovely at left back with this team.

Do you think he would be better than Ben Armour as left back, he has been ending up back there quite a bit in the last few games. As for Ferguson has done pretty well for us when playing, don't know if he has been tried in a more midfield ball winner position but its something I would like to see us try as time and again our midfield do not win enough 50/50s. As for Rory chances have been far & few between this season has probably made more than had, still our most likely scorer.

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

Do you think he would be better than Ben Armour as left back, he has been ending up back there quite a bit in the last few games. As for Ferguson has done pretty well for us when playing, don't know if he has been tried in a more midfield ball winner position but its something I would like to see us try as time and again our midfield do not win enough 50/50s. As for Rory chances have been far & few between this season has probably made more than had, still our most likely scorer.

Ben Armour at left back?! 

I love Carsy more than most, but I'd go along with this. Aside from a couple of good games he's been really, really slack this season. His passing hasn't been great and he's conceded plenty of cheap fouls and the like. Hutton has, imo, been excellent for most of the season. He looks fit, aggressive and dominant and Duffy's really got him playing like the midfielder Aitken seemed to think he was. McKee has been very good too and, whilst you can tell his inexperienced and he can be inconsistent, Langan looked like he was getting better and better.
What I would say is that Carsy seemed to be our most advanced midfielder in the first-half. Now given McKee got a hat-trick of first-half assists from that position against Forfar that was a bit surprising - especially when Carsy is evidently not an attacking midfielder. 
On the game as a whole, it was a brutal watch - but those are normally the sort of games we lost, so I'm delighted wee dug out three points. McGeever and Neill were nothing short of outstanding all game - big handsome Morgyn was probably my MOTM (again) based on the fact I don't think he lost a single aerial battle for about the third week in a row, but there can be no complaints about McGeever picking it up given he scored. Fair play to Duffy, in their first few games they looked like a clown-school duo, but they're working really well together - they're both vocal now too, which really wasn't the case early in the season.
Duffy's also got a team who want to win for him. Sure it might not be pretty, but compare the desire we're seeing from this season's squad to Aitken's and you'll see the difference a manager can make, especially one who brings in players based on his opinion and not reputation.
Elsewhere I thought Tumilty was his usual impressive self and McKee and Hutton were neat and tidy. PJ was frustrating as anything and Frizzell looked classy when he was on the ball -  but wasn't involved enough unfortunately. Up top Layne is frustrating as hell. Spends 89 minutes fouling people, not challenging for headers and falling over, but goes prime Drogba to roll his defender and set up the goal. We badly need other options in January - but I guess he deserves credit for how effective he can be.
As for Peterhead, well they looked like I expected. Plenty of good players but just missing something - maybe not unlike us last season they don't have the desire to win ugly games like that if that makes sense? McAllister looked an absolute shadow of the player he was, a prime Rory would've left with hat-trick yesterday, but aside from Jack Leitch it was difficult to see who would find a bit of magic to draw them level. Part of me thinks they'll really struggle for the remainder of the season, the other part of me looks at some of the players they have and can't understand why they would.
It will be very interesting to see this Saturday's team selection. Line up as we did yesterday and we'll see a very familiar scenario - starting slowly and being outpaced in midfield thereafter.

So, for me Langan should start ahead of Carswell; as has already been mentioned Hutton looks much better without Carswell and these guys are far too similar in style to pair together. I fear though that sentiment will trump common sense, at least my estimation of it.

I also feel that Scullion has shown something in his limited appearances, enough to start over a very misfiring Crossan.

5 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Ben Armour at left back?! 

Slightly tongue in cheek but  watch  the goal from yesterday & the first at Falkirk the week before & Armour is the only one covering out wide left. He has not got too much game time for us but has shown flashes of good stuff going forward which he can hopefully build on set up a great chance for Lyle early doors yesterday but everyone is suffering for us just now, we need a couple good results even if we don't play great, we need to rebuild confidence first & foremost.

11 hours ago, peternapper said:

Slightly tongue in cheek but  watch  the goal from yesterday & the first at Falkirk the week before & Armour is the only one covering out wide left. He has not got too much game time for us but has shown flashes of good stuff going forward which he can hopefully build on set up a great chance for Lyle early doors yesterday but everyone is suffering for us just now, we need a couple good results even if we don't play great, we need to rebuild confidence first & foremost.

A couple of 1-0 wins via a penalty or an O.G. would do.

On 27/10/2019 at 00:43, Nowhereman said:

Madness.  McGeever was great on Saturday.  I worry about players running at him but long balls he will scoop up all day.  Both him and Neill have came a long way since day 1.

On 27/10/2019 at 00:43, Nowhereman said:

It's not that the team is more balanced with Carswell in defense... It's that the team look more balanced with Carswell not in it. I like Carsy but there is something just not working when he plays in midfield at the moment which gives us the awkward scenario of not having the team captain on the pitch if we don't play him.

Hutton is having a fantastic season so far and the two of them have very similar play styles despite their differences in size/build. We can only play one of them whether that is in a 3,4 or 5 man midfield, it just doesn't work. There is no way we can drop Hutton just now so if it means that Carsy has to sit on the bench for the good of the team then so be it IMO.

Not sure what you're problem is with McGeever is, having him in defense has got nothing to do with the teams creativity. That comes down to the midfield/strikers and to a ceratin extent fullbacks but not the centre halves. 

It's been a long time since we had 2 Centre Halves that look a threat from set pieces and it's a great advantage having that option when it comes to it.