Moving out of the dark ages

Garret Deasy

Seeing the success and devlopement of the junior clubs who made the move across to the 'pyramid'. the latest news is floodlights for free in East Lothian. https://tinyurl.com/y4cc55ql

Bonnyrigg Rose shown live on BBC Scotland while progessing to the next round, with the increasing prize money is a club that is winning regular media coverage and increased crowds. Other junior clubs chapping on the door of the Lowland League. Kelty already up there.

Great to see their success, their profiles being improved, their incomes increased, their community engagement more visible, and their facilities being improved and developed.

Of course they are still seen as junior clubs, you can't ignore over a hundred years of history. But it is a shame they had to leave the junior ranks to achieve all of this. And in such a short time. 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

8 hours ago, Shanner said:

they want them and are in the process of getting them and as a Junior team will be able to use them as other Junior sides do. 

•  
  •  

15 hours ago, Talbot supporter said:
18 hours ago, GordonS said:
Talbot don't have floodlights.

These are currently being implemented

Excellent, good stuff. 

58 minutes ago, Possilonian said:

My local Junior club is Maryhill - we have floodlights. I may have misunderstood but I thought floodlights weren't allowed for Junior League games, we never seem to use them.

Well Port Glasgow are playing Greenock tonight in the league so good luck to them if they ain’t using floodlights.

3 hours ago, Possilonian said:

My local Junior club is Maryhill - we have floodlights. I may have misunderstood but I thought floodlights weren't allowed for Junior League games, we never seem to use them.

Floodlights are not banned and never have been. Both teams have to agree to play under them, for some reason clubs are reluctant to agree to play under them.

Lower league clubs like Maryhill (with no disrespect to them) rarely have massive fixture backlogs and so have no real reason to arrange games on dark winter nights

6 hours ago, Possilonian said:

Maryhill were due to play St. Roch’s during the week in a friendly. This game was postponed after a fault was found with the floodlights when they were used earlier in the week for a schools’ game.

(It might be that they are keen to use them more this year, but perhaps not for competitive matches. I have been at a number of Friday night floodlit games, and they have all attracted decent crowds.)