Lower League Podcasts

Can anyone recommend any good lower league focussed Scottish football podcasts?

I'm about 5 years behind the times on stuff like this but recently discovered the excellent Back Page lower league podcast and The Terrace, although not really interested in the Premiership.

Pele Podcast is fantastic, and I am really quite jealous that you will get to listen to them from the start.

Danny Denholms podcast is good also, although it took him a few episodes to get up and running and get rid of the clunkiness. 

There are a couple of club-specific shows that are worth checking out. It's No Easy! focuses on Stranraer and is pretty decent, even if it is sometimes quite one-eyed. The Elgin City Podcast has great production values; the Blue Toon Podcast (Peterhead) is new on the scene but no less engaging; and the OTL Podcast, dedicated to Airdrieonians, is worth listening to too.

Of the shows already mentioned: the Back Page Podcast is very good - they're very knowledgeable boys who all follow jobber teams, and their insight and analysis is generally of a high standard. The Pelé Podcast is a must listen (if I say so myself!) while Lower-League Ramblings often has excellent guests on it. The Terrace should be a mainstay of every Scottish football supporters.

5 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm about 5 years behind the times on stuff like this but recently discovered the excellent Back Page lower league podcast and The Terrace, although not really interested in the Premiership.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

There are a couple of club-specific shows that are worth checking out. It's No Easy! focuses on Stranraer and is pretty decent, even if it is sometimes quite one-eyed. The Elgin City Podcast has great production values; the Blue Toon Podcast (Peterhead) is new on the scene but no less engaging; and the OTL Podcast, dedicated to Airdrieonians, is worth listening to too.

Of the shows already mentioned: the Back Page Podcast is very good - they're very knowledgeable boys who all follow jobber teams, and their insight and analysis is generally of a high standard. The Pelé Podcast is a must listen (if I say so myself!) while Lower-League Ramblings often has excellent guests on it. The Terrace should be a mainstay of every Scottish football supporters.

I'm really humbled to hear this guys, it means an awful lot. When I was invited on the first episode (as a late substitute for Kevin Harper) we really didn't know the sort of response we'd get and how popular it would be, but it seems to have gone down quite well. 

Spoiler

I'm also available for autographs at any Dumbarton home or away games.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

Pele podcast is probably my personal favourite and Back Page is up there (Jan Vojáček's head is going to explode here). Both of those would be my top picks.

I also listen to to Lower League Ramblings depending on who the guest is but as it's often 3 current/ex players having the discussion it can get a bit 'bantery'.

I much prefer A View From The Terrace on TV over the podcast but I'll occassionally give that a spin and it's well worth a listen.

If you're into the whole baller banter scene then the Open Goal podcast may be for you. It's not my cup of tea but it's certainly popular. I wouldn't expect much lower league stuff on it.

I had no idea there were club specific podcasts out there, although if I'm being honest I probably wouldn't have much interest in one of those unless it was a Dumbarton one. Regardless, it's good to see that sort of content is available and fair play to the guys producing it.

The lower league content out there is better than ever IMO.

Back page is my favourite just now.  I’m a fan of how there’s equal time to cover each league every week. Although I really like the Terrace as well and listen to each one I’m not really too fussed about the Premiership so enjoy hearing the lower league stuff more.

Been meaning to listen to Lower League Ramblings but haven’t got around to it yet

Yeah, the Pele podcasts are great and I've listened to most of them. Really like a View from the Terrace as well. The Terrace podcasts are good and it's entirely fair that it's weighted towards the Premiership but I'd probably only listen if there was lower league content in the episode. It's such a breath of fresh air that there's decent content out there now made by folk who're actually interested in and knowledgeable about the lower leagues and even non-league.

Side note, on the latest episode of the Back Page, you guys were talking about whether there's any point in managers gaining experience in the lower leagues as a route into full time management.

Had a quick scan and I reckon since the 2014/15 season. Only one managerial appointment for full time Championship clubs has been a manager moving directly from part time L1 or L2, whose experience was exclusively below the championship at the time - Gary Naysmith going from East Fife to Queen of the South.

A few managers did move from managing part time to full time clubs but they were all in the Championship at the time - Jack Ross, Ian Murray, Jim Goodwin.

And Stevie Aitken did move from L1 to the Championship but it was part time to part time.

That is actually pretty staggering.

Edit: That's out of 32 permanent managerial appointments.

Edit 2: I tell a lie - Ray Mckinnon moved from Brechin to Raith Rovers in 2015/16

Edited by Gordon EF