Dutch and Belgian Superleague?

Connor1874

Apologies if i've missed discussion on this elsewhere, but the FA's of both nations are in advanced talks to merge and have an 18 team Superleague, possibly ready for next season.

Would be a cracking league I think, and perhaps a good way for Dutch and Belgian clubs to keep hold of their promising talents if it takes off.

I assume only the 'Superleague' would be mixed, and leagues below would be regionalised, essentially staying all Dutch and all Belgian leagues.

43 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

The Challenge Cup was the first. 

The Texaco Cup, The Anglo-Scottish Cup, The Setanta Cup, The Anglo-Italian Cup are a few I can think that easily pre-date the Challenge Cup in its current form.

Edited by NorthernLights

Guest Moomintroll

Interesting article in the Daily Fail (I know, I know) today regarding the same thing potentially happening with the two Irish FAs forming a Combined top division over there.

1 hour ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

The first was the Challenge Cup. 

6 hours ago, NorthernLights said:

The Texaco Cup, The Anglo-Scottish Cup, The Setanta Cup, The Anglo-Italian Cup are a few I can think that easily pre-date the Challenge Cup in its current form.

You sure about that, BFH?

This is a great idea to attempt to make their leagues more competitive and interesting. It is refreshing to see 2 FA's looking into new ideas and not just settling for the status quo.

Currently both these leagues are behind Portugal and Russia in the UEFA coefficients. Portugal currently the last team getting 3 CL places however between Belgium and Netherlands they get 4. What would happen with the European competition allocation?

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:
19 hours ago, Nowhereman said:
So the new format of the Challenge cup was justified after all if its now leading to this

Cross-border cup competitions have been allowed for a long time. The Challenge Cup was far from the first.

Yeah i know but happy to take any opportunity to get a wee dig in about the mess the spfl have made of the Challenge Cup

Which leagues could feasibly be merged? Everyone seems to assume Spain and Portugal but I bet most supporters of Portuguese Diddy teams would be of similar opinion to that of Scottish diddy team fans in terms of the Scottish leagues merging with the English leagues.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

Which leagues could feasibly be merged? Everyone seems to assume Spain and Portugal but I bet most supporters of Portuguese Diddy teams would be of similar opinion to that of Scottish diddy team fans in terms of the Scottish leagues merging with the English leagues.

I'm sure there were murmurs of a Balkan Super League a few years ago.

https://gameofthepeople.com/2013/03/24/balkan-league-sounds-like-a-crazy-idea/

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

This is a great idea to attempt to make their leagues more competitive and interesting. It is refreshing to see 2 FA's looking into new ideas and not just settling for the status quo.

Currently both these leagues are behind Portugal and Russia in the UEFA coefficients. Portugal currently the last team getting 3 CL places however between Belgium and Netherlands they get 4. What would happen with the European competition allocation?

Maybe they could run it along conference lines? So all eighteen teams play each other home and away but you still have two separate league tables of nine teams to decide European qualification. This could also be used to relegate teams to the national leagues which, you assume, would sit under this league. 

I'm in favour of the move, it has the potential to make European football more competitive. Boring if only the Spanish/English/German/Italian clubs and maybe PSG have a chance of winning things. 

They did this in womens football but it collapsed a few years ago after a couple of seasons... Obvious problem is that if (say) Dutch clubs end-up dominating the Belgian teams feel they're being taken for fools especially when it comes to European slots.

As noted there have been plenty cross-border cups down the years before the Challenge Cup invitees - not only in Britain or Ireland historically but the Royal League and numerous iterations in the Baltic right upto the present. Must say that I'm not in favour of full-blown international leagues, Atlantic League, "European Superleague", etc.

17 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Maybe they could run it along conference lines? So all eighteen teams play each other home and away but you still have two separate league tables of nine teams to decide European qualification. This could also be used to relegate teams to the national leagues which, you assume, would sit under this league. 

I'm in favour of the move, it has the potential to make European football more competitive. Boring if only the Spanish/English/German/Italian clubs and maybe PSG have a chance of winning things. 

Think that would definitely be a good way of doing it. Plus, the Belgians and the Dutch have had no problems with playoffs for European spots so that could tie in well.

Would imagine the KNVB Beker and Beker van Belgie would still exist too, so there'd be European places up for grabs there too.