39 dead bodies found in the back of a lorry

9 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Must have taken some Alan Turing-level code-breaking by the police to work out some of the code words used by criminals. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55402733

To be fair, there's no real need for him to talk in code as he's using an encrypted service and probably doesn't think the French have rumbled it. I'm quite amazed at just how much blatant legal activity happens on apps. A friend of mine has recently been using an app called Telegram and it's mind blowing. You can buy any drug in the world in just about any quantity, all delivered to your door with incredible discretion. 

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Getting drugs sent to your door is always something I've been uneasy about but he says he's had no problems. 

Yeah I wouldn’t fancy it tbh - not sure why your surprised at the illegal activity going on these apps though, everything gets done on apps so why would the crime world be any different? Drug dealers will all be on their apps nowadays, I doubt there will be any dodgey looking geezers punting their stuff on street corners or in ice cram vans anymore.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Yeah I wouldn’t fancy it tbh - not sure why your surprised at the illegal activity going on these apps though, everything gets done on apps so why would the crime world be any different? Drug dealers will all be on their apps nowadays, I doubt there will be any dodgey looking geezers punting their stuff on street corners or in ice cram vans anymore.

I get that deals are set up with phones and apps, but generally those types of deals will be done in some sort of code or slang. I guess when I saw this app I was just a bit surprised at how out in the open dealers were with it. Like facebook but instead of pictures of peoples dinner it's a picture of some lovely drugs that you can buy there and then.

29 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I get that deals are set up with phones and apps, but generally those types of deals will be done in some sort of code or slang. I guess when I saw this app I was just a bit surprised at how out in the open dealers were with it. Like facebook but instead of pictures of peoples dinner it's a picture of some lovely drugs that you can buy there and then.

Yeah - I suppose drug dealers have always had to be fairly open about what they’re doing though so they can sell their product. They have just had to move on with the times just like everyone else. 

Telegram is just a straightforward messaging app like WhatsApp, it's the default messaging app in a lot of the world.

I spoke to a guy in Algeria who got busted at the airport with some undeclared hard drives (didn't have time to file the paperwork rather than anything untoward) and after his initial denial the customs guy showed him a photo of them in his suitcase that he'd sent to his colleague on WhatsApp that morning.

• 9 months later...
Telegram is just a straightforward messaging app like WhatsApp, it's the default messaging app in a lot of the world.

I spoke to a guy in Algeria who got busted at the airport with some undeclared hard drives (didn't have time to file the paperwork rather than anything untoward) and after his initial denial the customs guy showed him a photo of them in his suitcase that he'd sent to his colleague on WhatsApp that morning.
Colleague Lee Wallace'd him here tbh.