Would you change our league?

Guest JTS98

8 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Well, make the case for it then.

Scottish teams have not been competitive in European competition for a long time. Your own team routinely gets humiliated when it appears in the top tournament, and like Ross County compared to yourselves, cannot possibly bridge the resource gap to the serious competitors.

Those days are over. Why should we design our domestic competition with deference to a level of football that we simply aren't quoted in? Surely we should focus on getting the basics right?

I don't mind you having a pop at Celtic in fact it's expected,I'm enjoying every moment of this domestic dominance.
But you're posting about the Scots game and you dismissed what Stevie C did at Killie,now we're talking about one guy making such a difference.
If Stevie C was at Aberdeen we would have a proper title race no doubt about that.
The European question, for me there is nothing stopping Aberdeen,Hibs,hearts or even Killie getting to the group stages and enjoying the rewards that comes with it.
If teams from Luxembourg,Hungary,Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan can get to the group stages I don't see why more Scots teams can't.
Plus for me the league cup brings nothing to the table even thou I like the new format,I would keep the teams that qualify for Europe out of it all together. 

10 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I don't mind you having a pop at Celtic in fact it's expected,I'm enjoying every moment of this domestic dominance.
But you're posting about the Scots game and you dismissed what Stevie C did at Killie,now we're talking about one guy making such a difference.
If Stevie C was at Aberdeen we would have a proper title race no doubt about that.
The European question, for me there is nothing stopping Aberdeen,Hibs,hearts or even Killie getting to the group stages and enjoying the rewards that comes with it.
If teams from Luxembourg,Hungary,Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan can get to the group stages I don't see why more Scots teams can't.
Plus for me the league cup brings nothing to the table even thou I like the new format,I would keep the teams that qualify for Europe out of it all together. 

Firstly, it's not a pop at Celtic. It's a pop at the system.

Secondly, You haven't said why the coefficient matters. Why is it a big deal? What transformational effect do you expect to see in Hungarian football in the next few years as a result of this success?

I'd rather start a season not knowing who will win the title than see our clubs get into the Europa League group stage every now and then.

Also, your title-race point is interesting. You seem to assert that things are ok because you think there would have been a title race in one season if one of our clubs had had a manager that they never had, but who managed another club to European qualification while neither of the clubs involved in this were ever anywhere near winning the league.

Have I got that right?

And let's be charitable and say you're right. What about the rest of the last three and a half decades?

Edited by JTS98

What about the prize money on the basis of what position they actually finish compared to what position they were expected to finish at the start of the season..

For instance, (just an example, I wouldn't know how the governing body would work this out or what the current prize pot is.)

Say the prize for finishing 4th was £1m and Aberdeen were expected to finish 4th they would get £1m.

However if say Ross County finished 4th and were expected to finish 8th, they would be entitled to 10% more of the initial prize for that spot for every place they finished above their expected position so taking home a prize of £1.4m. Rewarding those who go above expectations.

Just a thought.

37 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Again, I don't really see what this achieves.

We'd have a thirty game league season with lots of weaker teams for the Old Firm to beat. The gap between the non-Old Firm teams is small enough that they'd all continue to take point from each other. But this would just mean more winnable games for the Old Firm and more big scorelines. I don't see what it achieves.

Really?

You can't see why supporters of bottom of the league St Johnstone are arguing for immediate league reconstruction??

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Really?

You can't see why supporters of bottom of the league St Johnstone are arguing for immediate league reconstruction??

Haha! Woosh, indeed.

Don't worry, there's enough shite in the league just now that there's no need to abandon hope yet.

League tables are by far the best way to determine the winners and losers in football over the course of a season. Pathetic attempts to gerrymander the outcomes with repeated league reconstructions every couple of years just makes my heart sink. 

Regardless of the inequality of the sums of money being paid to players across the league at the end of the day the sporting element of football is that regardless of the money paid it's still 11 v 11 on the football pitch on match day. Play to your strengths, work as a team, and concentrate and the big two are beatable. Livingston have proved that already this season. The problem is that too many fans, players and managers are happy to write off the points against the big two instead of doing battle with them in the hope of winning. 

Salary caps don't work because there's always a way around them - usually through endorsements and sponsorship. 

45 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Firstly, it's not a pop at Celtic. It's a pop at the system.

Secondly, You haven't said why the coefficient matters. Why is it a big deal? What transformational effect do you expect to see in Hungarian football in the next few years as a result of this success?

I'd rather start a season not knowing who will win the title than see our clubs get into the Europa League group stage every now and then.

Also, your title-race point is interesting. You seem to assert that things are ok because you think there would have been a title race in one season if one of our clubs had had a manager that they never had, but who managed another club to European qualification while neither of the clubs involved in this were ever anywhere near winning the league.

Have I got that right?

And let's be charitable and say you're right. What about the rest of the last three and a half decades?

The European set up is changing in the coming years the higher the co-efficient the better for the game in Scotland.
But the usual suspects on here will disagree with that, feck kaiser soze.
My point about Stevie C is it's not just about the resources, one guy can make the last 3 and a half decades look very foolish.

Would happily sacrifice all European football if it meant we could have a balanced league. Give me total balance across the board, let all clubs work with the same budget distributed at the end of the season over seeing the same clubs f**k it up in Europe that I couldn't care about. 

You need to thin out the bigots and glory hunters from the ugly sisters. To do this make all matches all ticket with postal applications only. If your postal address is closer to another senior club than the match you are wanting to attend then you don't get a ticket. You choice is go and watch your local team or don't go at all.

Some folk would get around this by giving mates addresses that are closer to the ground but clearly not everyone has that option so it would thin them out and maybe add a few more supporters to everyone else.

1 hour ago, smeehee said:

You need to thin out the bigots and glory hunters from the ugly sisters. To do this make all matches all ticket with postal applications only. If your postal address is closer to another senior club than the match you are wanting to attend then you don't get a ticket. You choice is go and watch your local team or don't go at all.

Some folk would get around this by giving mates addresses that are closer to the ground but clearly not everyone has that option so it would thin them out and maybe add a few more supporters to everyone else.

My Team: Motherwell

Glory hunter found.

1 hour ago, smeehee said:

This is thoroughly stupid, no offence.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

This is daft, I'm a Hibs fan but my nearest PL team is St Johnstone because I moved for work, if I got told the only games I could go to were in Perth guess how many games I would go to.

Aye, I can't support this either. I live in leafy East Renfrewshire but I support the #juggernaut - can't be filing across to Hampden every fortnight to support QP like a penance. 

8 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The European set up is changing in the coming years 1) the higher the co-efficient the better for the game in Scotland.
But the usual suspects on here will disagree with that, feck kaiser soze.
2) My point about Stevie C is it's not just about the resources, one guy can make the last 3 and a half decades look very foolish.

1) Why? What are you basing that on? It's an easy line to parrot, but what are the benefits? Are they greater than a league that more than two teams can win? Why?

As far as I can see, the main benefit of any coefficient improvement will be the two richest teams. And that benefit will make them even richer. Which will further the problem of our league being uncompetitive.

What's in it for anyone else? You've still not made a single argument for that.

2) But the guy you're using as an example came nowhere near doing that. So what exactly is your point based on?

Edited by JTS98

2 hours ago, JTS98 said:

1) Why? What are you basing that on? It's an easy line to parrot, but what are the benefits? Are they greater than a league that more than two teams can win? Why?

As far as I can see, the main benefit of any coefficient improvement will be the two richest teams. And that benefit will make them even richer. Which will further the problem of our league being uncompetitive.

What's in it for anyone else? You've still not made a single argument for that.

2) But the guy you're using as an example came nowhere near doing that. So what exactly is your point based on?

I'm not going to try and explain the bigger picture to you because you can't see passed your own nose.
It's easier to destroy than create.
Image result for it's easier to destroy than to create quote