Tales of P&B Past

Torpar

1 hour ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Why does Falkirk have an indoor football centre called Coasters? It's miles from the coast.

Pretty sure that place used to be a climbing centre called Hadrian's Wall, this being in the town where the Antonine Wall was.  

Eta:  Probably why they had the Roman theme in the first place, but I found the contradiction mildly amusing anyway. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

Dumfries already has the best locally inspired company name. A tyre company called Soltyre

Not even remotely close to being the best local company name though.

That honour goes to The Hand Job, a car valeting place on the Heathhall industrial estate.

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Pretty sure that place used to be a climbing centre called Hadrian's Wall, this being in the town where the Antonine Wall was.  

Eta:  Probably why they had the Roman theme in the first place, but I found the contradiction mildly amusing anyway. 

I've always found it interesting that Romans got as far as Central Scotland and thought "fūck it, this is shite, I'm not going any further".

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've always found it interesting that Romans got as far as Central Scotland and thought "fūck it, this is shite, I'm not going any further".

They actually got as far as near Buckie before thinking "oaft, thats enough for us.  Best build a wall a bit further back just in case"

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't think I ever mentioned it but I "studied" pish like this at university. Looking at aerial photos of fields in Fife to spot Roman camps. Studying place names. 

7 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

What does Cowdenbeath mean, then?

Toponomy forum for this pish. It was given the name by the local laird, Ivo Den Bieman. Ivo was granted the lands by Eternal Emperor Leishman. Leishman also gifted France to Hamish Den Beiman but although Hamish took the name French he instead opted to become a taxi driver after his playing days rather than ruling France. 

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Toponomy forum for this pish. It was given the name by the local laird, Ivo Den Bieman. Ivo was granted the lands by Eternal Emperor Leishman. Leishman also gifted France to Hamish Den Beiman but although Hamish took the name French he instead opted to become a taxi driver after his playing days rather than ruling France. 

I prefer Welshy's tbh.

"And I'll sail her up the west coast, through villages and towns"

I'm think you'll find that actually the coast is the part of the land adjoining or near the sea. Ergo it is quite impossible to "sail" on any coast.

Edited by Gordon EF

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

"And I'll sail her up the west coast, through villages and towns"

I'm think you'll find that actually the coast is the part of the land adjoining or near the sea. Ergo it is quite impossible to "sail" on any coast.

image.jpeg.94b6016bfb674fee5513b8f5b942b911.jpeg