Watchmen

King Kebab

Spoiler

And in one of my favorite Easter eggs ever (albeit as part of the show’s supplemental materials), Peteypedia reveals that Laurie’s space dildo was designed by Laurie’s ex-boyfriend, Dan “Nite Owl” Dreiberg, who was also hugely into Camelot lore, and who named this particular device Excalibur.

Ex.

Cal.

Abar.

If you haven't seen episode 7 yet, don't open.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

I always thought that Snyder danced over Dr. Manhattan's non-linear experiences of time from the comic and I'm so glad they addressed it properly.

I loved that it was conveyed as experienced all at once for him, but just the first time of Angela. That episode had no right being that good. I'm out of hyperbole. What a Dr Manhattan damn show.

Yeah that episode was really, really good.

Only caught up episodes 4-7 over the weekend and the show has definitely gotten better as it's gone on.

Wonder what the plans for the show long term are with it having not been renewed yet and Lindelof saying he won't be coming back even if it was.

I'm really enjoying a lot of this. The atmosphere, the pacing, the music, a lot of the gradual reveals and the stylistic choices are all on point. I've felt a lot of the critiques of American white supremacy and racism in general are a little heavy-handed but it's still broadly to see it laid so bare. My biggest worry is that Lindelof is going to Bioshock Infinite the finale and go full both-sides with the reverse racism from the non-white characters in the show.

On 09/12/2019 at 21:03, young_bairn said:

My Mrs is fed up of me saying how good this is. EP8 was just fantastic. Cant believe nobody is watching this.

Could the issue be that a large part of it will mean absolutely nothing to anyone that hasn't read the graphic novel?  I've got mates who aren't even giving it a chance as they feel that they'll miss half of it.

That was a proper season finale - left me regretting that the season was over, and Hopi g that season 2 comes soon. Take note TWD etc.

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Could the issue be that a large part of it will mean absolutely nothing to anyone that hasn't read the graphic novel?  I've got mates who aren't even giving it a chance as they feel that they'll miss half of it.

I had no Scooby for the first 4 or 5, but I could see enough in it to stick with it until all the seemingly random threads of story tied together. Glad I did, it's been the best show on tv in a long while. 

I'm now going to get baw deep in The Expanse season 4.

It’s a weird reason to turn your nose up. People have done just fine with lots of assumed exposition in Star Wars or Game of Thrones with what always felt to me like you had the option of going back into the past for source material. If you enjoy the show enough, you’ll go back and watch/read it. Watching the film is probably as a good enough abridged recap on the source material with the differences in the comic canon all bridged pretty well all things considered. It was more the nuance of everything I felt was missed by Snyder, as much as he was always going to struggle to fit everything into a film. He missed Dr. Manhattan and how he experiences everything at once, Rorschach was far more a dislikeable character in the comic, the pirate comic was skipped past entirely, but mostly the background of the film felt like it was stuck in a continuous shot in a dark night time feel to it as opposed to the far more bright, psychedelic look of the storyboards in the comics.

Lindelof has always gotten stick for being the guy that can’t finish a story thanks to ‘Lost’, and without spoiling ‘The Leftovers’ I always thought he nailed it tremendously with a Schrodinger’s ending and I can totally see why he’s went with it again here, not just because he might have found a way around it that works for him and how he feels satisfies his audience, but because the comic ended on that same ‘what will happen now’ note with the Rorschach journal.

I think considering just how quickly the show ramped up in quality over episodes 5-8, he’s tied the whole season up as well as anyone could. It was nice in a sense that he made the racist cyclops organisation into a joke at the end, not giving them the credence to be the big bad, but I again, loved the accumulation of little touches all paying lip service to the original and this season as whole, whether it was ‘save me daughter’, Veidt was there as a stature the whole time, going full circle to bring everything back to the cinema Will Reeves started the show from, the news vendor, or the GET HYPE I felt when Veidt caught another bullet!

There’s still so much story to tell if you ask me, if not for where we go with Angela, Trieu’s daughter/mother inheritance, it’s definitely Veidt being exposed to the world. If his story on Europa, or at the very least just before Dr. Manhattan sent him there, his aura of limbo at prolonging the squid attach myth I think conveyed he needs to be constantly fighting someone/something/a worthy adversary and what better way to fight than the entire world and for his atonement, not to mention watching the world turn it’s nukes back onto one another.

It hasn’t been agreed that a second season won’t come out yet, but this is apparently HBO’s biggest hit since Big Little Lies, so I can’t see another season not being produced.  There seems to be some strong rumours circling that Lindelof won’t be coming back to show-run a second season. He apparently exercised all his ideas into this one season. I don’t know if it’s an accumulation of his input over the 30 years he’s been a fan of the comic, but I’d definitely be saying for him to take a breath and come to back plz. Seasons seem to be more patient, waiting 18 months to 2 years for its next run on HBO.  He’s just adapted the un-adaptable. If I were to talk up the perfect candidate if he doesn’t come back, it would either Noah Hawley for the idiosyncratic with his wonderfully weird work on Legion, or Sam Esmail for his twisted, outstanding outlook on Mr Robot (especially this season).

On 20/12/2019 at 10:14, KnightswoodBear said:

That last episode was amazing.  I've been absolutely blown away by how good this has been.  As a fan of the graphic novel and someone who gave up with Lost after it disappeared up it's own arse, I was concerned at how this would go.

It's been almost perfect.

The perfect thing to do now is just leave it as a one off.