Watchmen

King Kebab

Starts tonight (Monday 21st Oct) at 9pm on Sky Atlantic!!!

From what I understand about it, is that even though it is shot thematically and visually the same as the film, it is to be considered a sequel to the original comic and not to the film, which never happened according to this show!!![emoji848]

Should still be good and I’m giving evens that Jeremy Irons is going to steal every scene he is in as the older version of Ozymandias!!!

Watched this last night, pretty decent first episode.

I agree very decent indeed, it’s very intricately plotted but once you get your head round it, it’s very good!!!
More than enough to keep me interested!!!

I agree very decent indeed, it’s very intricately plotted but once you get your head round it, it’s very good!!!
More than enough to keep me interested!!!
You've got your head round this very intricately plotted show after one episode??

Well done you.

You've got your head round this very intricately plotted show after one episode??  Well done you.  

Thanks very much, but it didn’t just come to me in the one viewing, I went away and re-read the comics and rewatched the film before it started and then read up on the series (interviews with the creators etc) as much as I could, what do you want to know, I’ll try to help explain if I can!!!

ETA: but don’t ask me about the batteries, I don’t have a fucking clue what that’s about!!!

The series seems to have irked some 'Muricans going by the IMDb scores. They don't seem to like the fact that some white Americans are being portrayed as bad Nazis . The favourite seems to be WOKEMEN. 

I'm going to have to rewatch the first episode as acc to IMDbrief there are quite a few Easter eggs I missed. Quite enjoyed it though.

The castle that Sister Night’s son was building out of his gravity-defying metallic Lego looked very similar to the castle that you saw Dr. Manhattan building and then destroying on the 24/7 webcam from Mars in episode 1, it also looks very like the castle that Ozymandias is living in in Wales!!!

8 hours ago, King Kebab said:

The castle that Sister Night’s son was building out of his gravity-defying metallic Lego looked very similar to the castle that you saw Dr. Manhattan building and then destroying on the 24/7 webcam from Mars in episode 1, it also looks very like the castle that Ozymandias is living in in Wales!!!

I noticed that too.  There was a newspaper headline in ep1 that said that Veidt was officially declared dead.  I wonder if his storyline is him in some kind of Dr Manhattan created prison?

The prospect of Dr Manhattan and his ability, or supposed lack of ability, to disguise himself as a human was mentioned a couple of times in ep2, which seemed deliberate.

This week's has been the best one so far.  
Jean Smart acting everyone off the screen, which is no mean feat considering the cast. 

It was very good, and she was excellent and now that we’ve seen Laurie/Silk Spectre surely we will eventually see Nite-Owl, the Senator did basically say he’s still alive but in prison!!!
I’m now starting to think that Ozymandius/Veidt is actually on Mars and when we saw Dr. Manhattan destroying the castle on Mars in episode One, it was him just resetting the prison/time loop that Veidt appears to be trapped in, with Veidt building the catapult and the spacesuit and seeing what happened to Phillips, it looked like the effects of somebody who had been in outer space or at least exposed to a planet with no atmosphere and Veidt surely just threw him out of the prison and then pulled him back with the rope he was attached to and the “Game Warden” could quite probably be Dr. Manhattan himself warning him off!!!

Didn't need to know what was in the briefcase [emoji1787]

Do you think it replicates itself so that she gets that real life “Dr. Manhattan” experience???

• 2 weeks later...

There's been so much to enjoy about the TV show.

I love that the opening credits are short, sweet, and relevant to the introductory scene of each episode. It works because it doesn't have to measure against the outstanding opening credits of the film itself.

With most of the creative team behind the Leftovers working on this show, you can see the fingerprints of it being left especially in this episode here. Just like with the Christopher Eccelston focused episodes, it's showing what the show can do focusing itself on one new character's story, but it's done in a way that still moves the plot on, putting Sister Night eventually in a tough spot.

I really like that they re-lived the attack. Not just because a lot of people haven't read the comics(and they should, it's fantastic), or because it was an excellent introduction into going into why Looking Glass is who he is, but because for the lip service that a lot of people are unfamiliar with the giant psychic squid attack instead of the Dr. Manhattan attack that the film went down.

I've enjoyed this version of Veidt far more, has there is far more charisma that Irons brings to it. HIs entire captivity as been one big pathos sideshow which you can't take your eyes off and ends up with him being in frigging space!  Even though I was apprehensive about him leaving actual evidence of the hoax, risk it being leaked to the world and which would in turn mean Rorschach dying for nothing, I loved the video confession. You can see him absolutely nailing that combination of hubris that he measures himself  to his idol Alexander the Great, but along with that insecure need to be acknowledged that he is worthy of vindication to be compared to him and through that need daring to record the video, and risk the world seeing it.

Laurie Blake's sass btw. I didn't really think much of her character in the canon, but she's so much more in this, with a complete evolution towards being more like her father The Comedian, which I've really enjoyed.

Mostly though, it's been the accumulation of a lot of little things here and there that are all adding to make an excellent sum of it's parts, whether it's nods to the original comics, or it's stuff like Pale Horse being the new Schindler's List (even finding a way to incorporate the girl in red),  that Christopher flipping Moltisanti cameo or Lube man. Adonis' score has been every bit as excellent so far as I'd hoped.

There's been so much to enjoy about the TV show.
I love that the opening credits are short, sweet, and relevant to the introductory scene of each episode. It works because it doesn't have to measure against the outstanding opening credits of the film itself.
With most of the creative team behind the Leftovers working on this show, you can see the fingerprints of it being left especially in this episode here. Just like with the Christopher Eccelston focused episodes, it's showing what the show can do focusing itself on one new character's story, but it's done in a way that still moves the plot on, putting Sister Night eventually in a tough spot.
I really like that they re-lived the attack. Not just because a lot of people haven't read the comics(and they should, it's fantastic), or because it was an excellent introduction into going into why Looking Glass is who he is, but because for the lip service that a lot of people are unfamiliar with the giant psychic squid attack instead of the Dr. Manhattan attack that the film went down.
I've enjoyed this version of Veidt far more, has there is far more charisma that Irons brings to it. HIs entire captivity as been one big pathos sideshow which you can't take your eyes off and ends up with him being in frigging space!  Even though I was apprehensive about him leaving actual evidence of the hoax, risk it being leaked to the world and which would in turn mean Rorschach dying for nothing, I loved the video confession. You can see him absolutely nailing that combination of hubris that he measures himself  to his idol Alexander the Great, but along with that insecure need to be acknowledged that he is worthy of vindication to be compared to him and through that need daring to record the video, and risk the world seeing it.
Laurie Blake's sass btw. I didn't really think much of her character in the canon, but she's so much more in this, with a complete evolution towards being more like her father The Comedian, which I've really enjoyed.
Mostly though, it's been the accumulation of a lot of little things here and there that are all adding to make an excellent sum of it's parts, whether it's nods to the original comics, or it's stuff like Pale Horse being the new Schindler's List (even finding a way to incorporate the girl in red),  that Christopher flipping Moltisanti cameo or Lube man. Adonis' score has been every bit as excellent so far as I'd hoped.
Aye it's good. Very good.

I'm really not a fan of superhero/comic book based films but have really loved this series. Plenty of it probably goes over my head from not knowing anything about the source comics or the film but the HBO production values, the soundtrack and the acting is all delicious.