Dementia and football

ICTChris

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in, I assume the mods can move if they see fit.

A study of 7000 former Scottish professional footballers lead by Glasgow University has found that they were significantly more likely to die from neurodegenrative disease than the control group and were also significantly more likely to be prescribed medication for neurodegenerative disease than the control group.  

I can't read the paper as I don't subscribe to the New England Journal of Medicine but you can read the abstract here - https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1908483?query=featured_home

Chris Nowinski, a former college football player and WWE wrestler who has campaigned on concussions in sport, tweeted the following figures from the study

Former players were 3.5x more likely to die from neurodegenerative disease

Former players were 5x more likely to die from Alzeihmers.

Former players were 4x more likely to die from Motor Neurone disease.

It can't be confirmed if former players had CTE, the condition that's been found in a number of former AMerican football players brains after they've died as you need to examine brain tissue for that.  I wonder how much of this can be put down to the old style heavy balls and if there will be any comeback or settlement between ex players suffering from dementia and football authorities.

On 22/10/2019 at 08:22, SlipperyP said:

Got to die of something ffs.

Guys on the terracing are dying of stokes, heart attacks and liver disease (through alcohol) all the time.  All wanting to be that guy heading the ball.....

Image result for images of anthony stokes footballer