Auchinleck Talbot v Arbroath

On 27/10/2019 at 08:14, farflung lichtie said:

Anything other than a home win for Talbot would be a surprise. I was at Irvine when we were the first side knocked out by the juniors, over a decade ago. Now it’s a regular occurrence and barely newsworthy. Talbot have huge cup experience and pedigree while Arbroath have done nothing cup wise for ages (bar the draw at Parkhead, and stolen defeat at Gayfield in the replay a few years ago). We’ve had a few dire results in cups in fact. The main thing is, our primary challenge this year is to try and stay in the Championship - a big ask - so you might argue everything else is secondary. Despite great respect by fans for the management of the Campbell Bros, their cup record in charge has been poor - but totally forgiven due to league success. I’ll enjoy the trip down but have no expectations.

Yes, last season Talbot beat Ayr before Hearts put them out 4-0. But the previous teams to put them out are:

2016-17 Beith 3-0

2015-16 Cumbernauld Colts 2-0

2014-15 Edinburgh City 2-1

2013-14 Stranraer 3-2

2011-12 Hearts 1-0

2009-10 Stirling Albion 2-1

Ayr last season and Cove this season are the only league teams they've beaten. In the same period, Arbroath have beaten Berwick, Cowdenbeath and Montrose, and drawn with Celtic. The only non-league team to beat Arbroath were Irvine Meadow XI, way back in 2009-10. This should be a very tough game for Arbroath but it's not like they're going to the San Siro.

Yes, last season Talbot beat Ayr before Hearts put them out 4-0. But the previous teams to put them out are:
2016-17 Beith 3-0
2013-14 Stranraer 3-2
2011-12 Hearts 1-0
Ayr last season and Cove this season are the only league teams they've beaten. In the same period, Arbroath have beaten Berwick, Cowdenbeath and Montrose, and drawn with Celtic. The only non-league team to beat Arbroath were Irvine Meadow XI, way back in 2009-10. This should be a very tough game for Arbroath but it's not like they're going to the San Siro.
Well said a bit of realism

• 2 weeks later...
2016-17 Beith 3-0
2013-14 Stranraer 3-2
2011-12 Hearts 1-0

That is a bit more encouraging, though you don’t specify home or away, which makes a huge difference. And Arbroath’s form has picked up significantly after a run without points when I first posted - so that maybe changes the perspective a little.

Just to clarify though, Arbroath are prone to cup reverses (last 3 months - vs Alloa in August in key League Cup game, and to Clyde in the Irn Bru, to Edinburgh City last season going back to a thrashing from Spartans (Irvine Meadow is not the only non league exit).

Personally I always travel in hope rather than expectation so as a Lichtie fan of 50+ I find this works fine as a coping strategy.

6 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

That is a bit more encouraging, though you don’t specify home or away, which makes a huge difference. And Arbroath’s form has picked up significantly after a run without points when I first posted - so that maybe changes the perspective a little.

Just to clarify though, Arbroath are prone to cup reverses (last 3 months - vs Alloa in August in key League Cup game, and to Clyde in the Irn Bru, to Edinburgh City last season going back to a thrashing from Spartans (Irvine Meadow is not the only non league exit).

Personally I always travel in hope rather than expectation so as a Lichtie fan of 50+ I find this works fine as a coping strategy.

Ah yeah, 2003-4, a hiding at home to Spartans. Don't know how I missed that.

There's not much to pick between the Scottish Cup records of Auchinleck and Arbroath, which is pretty remarkable really. Arbroath have that draw with Celtic, but Auchinleck were robbed blind in their defeat at Tynecastle in 2012. Hearts' goal came after the Talbot keeper and a defender collided, with both on the ground when Hearts put it in the net, and Talbot had a late equaliser chalked off for offside when the scorer was onside and it was passed back by a Hearts player anyway.

Should be a cracking game, Arbroath are going to have to work their arses off if they're to get through. 

6 hours ago, farflung lichtie said:

Cumbernauld, Edinburgh City, Hearts and Stirling Albion were away.

Beith and Stranraer were home but were replays.

Talbot have never lost a Scottish Cup tie when they have been drawn as the home team

Ah yeah, 2003-4, a hiding at home to Spartans. Don't know how I missed that.
There's not much to pick between the Scottish Cup records of Auchinleck and Arbroath, which is pretty remarkable really. Arbroath have that draw with Celtic, but Auchinleck were robbed blind in their defeat at Tynecastle in 2012. Hearts' goal came after the Talbot keeper and a defender collided, with both on the ground when Hearts put it in the net, and Talbot had a late equaliser chalked off for offside when the scorer was onside and it was passed back by a Hearts player anyway.
Should be a cracking game, Arbroath are going to have to work their arses off if they're to get through. 

Not once doubted the work rate or commitment of us this season. If we get the first goal I genuinely think we will win 3 or 4-0. Longer it goes 0-0 though the more worried I'll get.

Think us being part time is possibly an advantage here compared to Ayr last season, we have an experienced group of part time players who will know exactly what's required. No young guys who've only known full time football and the championship like Ayr would've had.

Interesting tie and I cannot wait. Have loved all the visits to non league clubs in the Scottish cup, Inverurie, Bo'ness and even Irvine have been an experience. Whole village or town comes out and backs the teams. Cup football at its best

That day at Boness was brilliant, all we heard about for the weeks before were how we would be put out the cup and wouldn't cope with the crowd, pitch etc, yet we absolutely destroyed them, AT fans have been a bit more pragmatic this time around which is good to see. We are on fire at the moment so really just have to guard against complacency.

That day at Boness was brilliant, all we heard about for the weeks before were how we would be put out the cup and wouldn't cope with the crowd, pitch etc, yet we absolutely destroyed them, AT fans have been a bit more pragmatic this time around which is good to see. We are on fire at the moment so really just have to guard against complacency.

We were in League 2 then I think with Allan Moore gaffer still?

Simon Murray on fire that day. From what I remember the last half hour they were legless and totally gone, could've been 8 or 9.... however it was a very edgy first half right up until we scored the 1st then after that a total cruise.

We were in League 2 then I think with Allan Moore gaffer still?

Simon Murray on fire that day. From what I remember the last half hour they were legless and totally gone, could've been 8 or 9.... however it was a very edgy first half right up until we scored the 1st then after that a total cruise.
I felt against Stranraer and Stirling albion the fitness told in the last 20mins also, it was still very close in these games and not a great deal of difference in quality although these games were a while back.
I would say we have a stronger squad now, yourselves will be stronger aswell having been promoted to championship.

I felt against Stranraer and Stirling albion the fitness told in the last 20mins also, it was still very close in these games and not a great deal of difference in quality although these games were a while back.
I would say we have a stronger squad now, yourselves will be stronger aswell having been promoted to championship.

I think it was that way because they were a few goals down and the game was over, we started that season off flying too. But by the end it was nearly shootie in, if they had something to hang onto Im sure it would've been tougher

And aye we have a strong squad, not often you can say as an Arbroath fan that we will now be missing one of our better players because they got injured on international duty, under 21 like but point stands [emoji23]