The Darren Smith Derby (Binos vs Clyde)

Clyde01

Awful game today and barely any football played between the two sides. Smith, Wallace and McStay were all garbage but was a good finish from Smith for his goal though.

Excellent save from Mitchell in the first half other than that Stirling didn't cause us too much bother. At least we are into the next round given some of the shocks elsewhere.

Fair play to Smith for not celebrating, no complaints. Honestly think it's wanky when players feel the need to celebrate against their own club. 

Classic example a few weeks ago when Thorgan Hazard scored against Gladbach for Dortmund and done this stupid gun shooting celebration in front of the Gladbach fans, only for VAR to chop it off 😂😂

4 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Fair play to Smith for not celebrating, no complaints. Honestly think it's wanky when players feel the need to celebrate against their own club. 

Classic example a few weeks ago when Thorgan Hazard scored against Gladbach for Dortmund and done this stupid gun shooting celebration in front of the Gladbach fans, only for VAR to chop it off 😂😂

Why not celebrate against your old team? Youd celebrate against any other team.

Hate all this pish that started a few years ago where players hold their hands up as if to apologise for scoring against their old team.

Theres nothing wrong with it unless you do an Adebayor effort and run 100 yards to do a knee slide in front of your old fans!

2 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Why not celebrate against your old team? Youd celebrate against any other team.

Hate all this pish that started a few years ago where players hold their hands up as if to apologise for scoring against their old team.

Theres nothing wrong with it unless you do an Adebayor effort and run 100 yards to do a knee slide in front of your old fans!

It's all about respect really. Enjoy your moment, but don't rub it in the faces of those who idolised you. 

Shite game,  Mitchell and Howie had good games , wouldn't give anyone else pass marks.   Midfield were shocking, Wallace & McStay were especially bad,  

Cuddihy wasn't much better although he was better when moved to RB.   They'll have a hard job making 5 minutes of  highlights from the dross. 

Hoped for the best today but if you miss chances early on and you have a ref who does not give stonewall penalties re Bikey challenge then your up against it. Typical of Darren Smith to score against us but that’s life. Second half never really did much and the Goodwillie penalty near the end summed up our day. Good luck in the next round to Clyde.

Felt like Barry F was back in our dugout. Didn't really take the game to Stirling. We looked like last years team against Albion. 

I look forward to seeing highlights but thought Goody may have lost his footing (hmm) for the pen!

My wee highlight was the ball boy throwing the ball at Barry C in the 2nd half not once but twice.

16 minutes ago, rhliston said:

Hoped for the best today but if you miss chances early on and you have a ref who does not give stonewall penalties re Bikey challenge then your up against it. Typical of Darren Smith to score against us but that’s life. Second half never really did much and the Goodwillie penalty near the end summed up our day. Good luck in the next round to Clyde.

Looked clear that Duffie got the ball in that challenge from where I was but would be interested to see it in the highlights. 

Stirling passed the ball nicely once and created a great chance from which Mitchell made a terrific save. I'll never understand why a manager will have football players like Jardine, Bikey and Heever, and then top and tail it with a carthorse target man and a defensive midfielder who doesn't keep the ball. I thought the two centre halves were decent in fairness.

We were similar to some extent today. Wallace had an excellent season at Annan but doesn't fit into our style of play and it left us just launching the ball up to him. I've never seen Lamont have a good game out wide either. Smith scored his goal but again doesn't link up play as well as Goodwillie/McStay/Grant would like. Get Johnston and Lamont into the team for Tuesday.

The Bikey tackle looked a penalty to me (though others were saying Duffie took the ball), whilst we had a clear shout when Duffie reached the ball first in the box and was caught late (remarkably similar to the one he conceded at Raith). Looked like a possible handball to stop us going through on goal at one point? I thought Goodwillie took a bad touch for the one we did get and I wouldn't have been surprised if it was ruled a dive (wasn't surprised it was a penalty either).

Howie was our best player by an absolute mile, absolutely colossal. Mitchell did well. Cuddihy didn't let Bikey have a sniff. Rest were garbage, though Petkov did okay when he came on. After that, Stirling didn't really threaten at all.

1 hour ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Doesnt suit me. I'm barred remember 😂

I probably am too :lol:

As has been previously mentioned, the performance and game in general was shite but the cups all about getting through to the next round and we done that without really getting troubled IMO. Would agree that Howie was our stand out, he really has came on leaps and bounds from the beginning of the season.

I looked at the league 2 table earlier in the week and seen that Stirling have only scored 10 and conceded 10 in 13 games and today i could see why. Pretty solid defensively but toothless up front. Wasn't Bikey a striker in his first spell? Was surprised to see him playing out wide.

One of the highlights of the day was the bickering between our own fans about whether the "One Kev Nicoll" chants were acceptable. I'm in the absolutely no camp FWIW.