The Darren Smith Derby (Binos vs Clyde)

Clyde01

15 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

I probably am too :lol:

As has been previously mentioned, the performance and game in general was shite but the cups all about getting through to the next round and we done that without really getting troubled IMO. Would agree that Howie was our stand out, he really has came on leaps and bounds from the beginning of the season.

I looked at the league 2 table earlier in the week and seen that Stirling have only scored 10 and conceded 10 in 13 games and today i could see why. Pretty solid defensively but toothless up front. Wasn't Bikey a striker in his first spell? Was surprised to see him playing out wide.

One of the highlights of the day was the bickering between our own fans about whether the "One Kev Nicoll" chants were acceptable. I'm in the absolutely no camp FWIW.

The standards have definitely dropped over the years with our support if hes getting that chanted about him 🙈

56 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Nicoll appreication fine when ball out for a throw in not after his two footed on half way line...

He strolled it apart fae one misplaced pass

Bad move to let him go compared to a few signings who started today...

Iemoji173.pngDL but even i think he knows we lack a general going by recent audio

DL was 100% right to let Nicol go. 

It’s absolutely all about opinions and I’m certainly not saying that I have the correct opinion as such but, I’d agree on DL getting rid of Nicoll. The pace in League One would be a bit too much for him at this stage in his career. Thought he was pretty poor today other than his usual committed tackles. Misplaced more than a few passes.

I love Nicoll and still do, however I also agree that DL was right to let him go. He would've been one of our higher earners, we always played better when he wasn't in the team and unfortunately he's a liability when it comes to injury and suspensions. He completely fell out the game after his overdue yellow. He's a walking red card, wouldn't get away with it in L1

I said to myself earlier, don’t bite. However a wee beer later and: Nicole was not good enough for us last season, let alone in L1, one half decent game in 5 if that, slow and gave the ball away constantly not to mention a walking red card.
Absolutely 100% correct to let him go, end of!

Nicol should’ve been booked before he was, and the tackle he was actually booked for was a shocker. 100% correct decision to let him go. He also just hoofs the ball up the park the majority of the time. 

We’re a better footballing team without him. 

I said to myself earlier, don’t bite. However a wee beer later and: Nicole was not good enough for us last season, let alone in L1, one half decent game in 5 if that, slow and gave the ball away constantly not to mention a walking red card.
Absolutely 100% correct to let him go, end of!

IMG_6352.jpg

3 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

Ok, so happy that Nicol has moved on. What are the thoughts on Currie? He had a good game yesterday. My view is that he’s a better keeper than Binnie.

Made one good tip over the bar from Goodie and obviously gave away a penalty. Apart from that he didn't have much to do did he?

At the time it happened I was surprised we let him go though and wasn't sure how much of an upgrade Mitchell would be. But the latter is a far better all rounder.

3 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

Ok, so happy that Nicol has moved on. What are the thoughts on Currie? He had a good game yesterday. My view is that he’s a better keeper than Binnie.

Was surprised to see Currie released to be honest. Prone to the odd clanger but ever present last year in a team that ultimately got promoted and made a good number of vital saves. Having said that, Mitchell is better in almost every way. 

18 minutes ago, headthebaw said:

I agree with all of that. But we improved the position markedly last summer.

We weren’t at our best today but in the cup the only thing that matter is progressing to the next round.  Always get excited for a cup draw & end up dissapointed with who we get. 

Regarding Nicoll... I liked him for us last season & for all we lack a nasty side to us in midfield he would slow the game down far too much. Thankful to him for his contribution in us getting promoted & will never forget his footwork whilst dancing in the pub the night we got promotion. Singing his name or showing appreciation is fine but not when he makes a challenge that prevents Goodwillie from being through on goal or smashes our own wee Lamont.  Niceties are all well & good but it’s clyde we support & want to win. I can’t agree with the supporting of an opponent during the 90 minutes or singing their name when we’ve got 11 of our own players out there playing for our badge & club. 

So aye, roll on the draw tonight... 

2 hours ago, headthebaw said:

I really liked Currie but he was suspect at corners and was always capable of a blunder, usually against Peterhead for some reason. 

Unlike others, I wasn't surprised he was released. I had a sneak feeling that he would be released, he got away with many mistakes in league 2 but in this league he'd get properly punished. 

Good luck to the lad, can't say a bad word about him. His brothers a fanny though 😂

1 hour ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

I really liked Currie but he was suspect at corners and was always capable of a blunder, usually against Peterhead for some reason. 

Unlike others, I wasn't surprised he was released. I had a sneak feeling that he would be released, he got away with many mistakes in league 2 but in this league he'd get properly punished. 

Good luck to the lad, can't say a bad word about him. His brothers a fanny though 😂

He's been pretty solid for us this season.

6 hours ago, headthebaw said:

Decent enough keeper for us other than flinging a couple in for Peterhead at Broadwood. Flapped a bit with high balls into his box, though.

On the topic of Currie he won us plenty of points with some brilliant saves yet was a keeper that people were quick to remember any mistakes rather than all of his match winning saves. He did well for us & a player I feel was harshly criticised. His distribution was the best i’ve seen in league two. Also worth noting that at the end of the 17/18 season he was one of only 4 players to turn up to a supporter group’s player of the year night even though he knew he hadn’t won any awards. Respect for that. 

Thats enough of the sentimental mince from me. 

Aye, Blair isn’t a bad keeper at all. A great distributor and a very competent shot stopper. As others have mentioned, he was not overly confident with high balls into the box.

In saying all of this, I do think Mitchell is a quite considerably better goalkeeper.