Linlithgow Rose Vs Falkirk

Took in this, which I suspect was no kinder on the eye via TV than it was in person.

Linlithgow have struggled in the EOS Premier this season and the frailties often cited there... variable kicking by the 'keeper, lapses in central defence, midfielders giving away possession, and lack of real incision up front... hampered their chance of mounting a surprise tonight. Falkirk didn't play particularly well until fitness told late-on and it could have been interesting to see how in form sides like Bonnyrigg, BSCG, Bo'ness or Camelon may have fared.

Sammon was the clear difference between the teams: nonetheless the hosts plugged away well, deserved to get themselves back into the tie at 1-1, and briefly looked as if they might put on real pressure in the closing quarter. Coyne was blown by then - and they should really have made subs earlier... switches was made just after going 3-1 down which was too late really.

I watched from in front of the enclosure and was surprised how unforgiving some Rose fans were of their side (even before the late goals)... I'm all for having expectations / high standards but ultimately this was full-time v part-time with 3 levels and 40 league places between them. You're always going to be second-best in some departments: you've got worse players.

Overall the homesters acquitted themselves as well as they could against superior opposition. Big crowd, well-organised match experience, but sadly not a shock to round-off the night.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I thought Scullion and McKinlay were their usual selves, going missing from time to time, and Slavin's not cut out for this. Gray did surprisingly well in midfield, in an unfamiliar role supporting Ruari (who was excellent). Seeing the equaliser back on TV, Allum gives his marker just the gentlest shove to buy the yard of space he needed. Really clever stuff.
Apart from the very best part time squads like Arbroath and Alloa it's rare that fitness doesn't come into it when full and part time meet. 
A decent and respectable showing in general, though I feel our team of a few years ago could have really troubled Falkirk. If we play like we did on Saturday and tonight over the rest of the season, we'll be alright.
And a huge thanks to everyone who's hard work went into organising the game and making it an occasion to be proud of [emoji106]

But if you had been playing our team of a few years ago you really would have gotten a gubbing!

Took in this, which I suspect was no kinder on the eye via TV than it was in person.

Linlithgow have struggled in the EOS Premier this season and the frailties often cited there... variable kicking by the 'keeper, lapses in central defence, midfielders giving away possession, and lack of real incision up front... hampered their chance of mounting a surprise tonight. Falkirk didn't play particularly well until fitness told late-on and it could have been interesting to see how in form sides like Bonnyrigg, BSCG, Bo'ness or Camelon may have fared.

Sammon was the clear difference between the teams: nonetheless the hosts plugged away well, deserved to get themselves back into the tie at 1-1, and briefly looked as if they might put on real pressure in the closing quarter. Coyne was blown by then - and they should really have made subs earlier... switches was made just after going 3-1 down which was too late really.

I watched from in front of the enclosure and was surprised how unforgiving some Rose fans were of their side (even before the late goals)... I'm all for having expectations / high standards but ultimately this was full-time v part-time with 3 levels and 40 league places between them. You're always going to be second-best in some departments: you've got worse players.

Overall the homesters acquitted themselves as well as they could against superior opposition. Big crowd, well-organised match experience, but sadly not a shock to round-off the night.

Can’t say I agree with a lot of this.
Linlithgow were never really in the tie and didn’t deserve the equaliser at all. Falkirk dominated the game from start to finish and deservedly won comfortably in the end.
No doubt fitness told in the latter stages but your summary suggests this game was tighter than it actually was.
And before anyone highlights bias, yes I’m a Bairn first and foremost, but I also lived around the corner from Prestonfield for nearly 10 years so I have a lot of regard for Rose and look out for their results most weeks...

Wow.

1. We aren't junior
2. We aren't c***s
3. Given your past with gas and glass eyes don't chuck mud.

Most Rose fans are Falkirk fans BTW and Gomis was Mom by a mile.

Given my experiences of junior (sic) football in West Lothian I’d be amazed if Gomis isn’t racially abused tonight. 

3 hours ago, Reggie Perrin said:

But if you had been playing our team of a few years ago you really would have gotten a gubbing!

Well yes, obviously I meant this Falkirk team. This is the second-worst Rose team I've seen in 20 years of following them. We used to finish in the top 3 in the East Superleague every season; now we're 8th in a league without Bonnyrigg, Kelty or Lochee. Last night's game was between two clubs in relatively very lowly positions and I think it showed.

2 hours ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

Away. Falkirk have ten times the money we have.

We were never winning this and anyone turning up thinking we'd win is an idiot.

Falkirk are honking and will not get much further. Camelon handled us more comfortably.

But baker still has a point - as I said above, we're 8th in a league without Bonnyrigg, Kelty or Lochee. For the past 16 months we're been taking hidings off anyone decent. I don't think we're quite as bad as the last McGlynn season but that's the only time we've been this low in my near-20 years watching the Rose. Don't you think? 

Difficult to read too much into the game due to the standard of opposition, but I thought it was just what we needed - a fairly comfortable 'job done' performance, get in and out with no injuries and then get ready for the league game next weekend.

I thought we looked quite organised and apart from Coyne's goal (which was poor defending but a well-taken finish) I didn't think we gave them another decent chance.

Happy with that.

Away. Falkirk have ten times the money we have.

We were never winning this and anyone turning up thinking we'd win is an idiot.

Falkirk are honking and will not get much further. Camelon handled us more comfortably.

Camelon !

FFS