Kilmarnock v St Mirren

That’s yet another game we should have taken at least a point from, but again we have the same problem in not taking chances or working the keeper.

We definitely have a better side than last season, but teams who can’t score goals usually end up relegated.

The first and probably only decent delivery from a set piece all game long and it's a match winner for Kilmarnock. Up to the point where Andreau went off injured St Mirren looked the team more likely to score, but when you take him out the team St Mirren have no creativity at all. 

I don't know if anyone else is feeling the same though. I'm really not enjoying watching St Mirren this season. The way the squad was being built I was expecting a season of deep defending but I also thought St Mirren would offer some good quick counter attacking as well. That's not transpiring at all and I think - for me anyway - it's making St Mirren a very hard team to want to pay money to watch. 

I don’t care if people feel short changed with the result or performance. These things will sort themselves out with new players when they become available. I don’t care if it’s 1 nil to Killie all season, I want a 3 rd place finish and another crack at Europe next season with a better organised team. I want what Celtic and Rangers are getting just now.

44 minutes ago, Malky3 said:

The first and probably only decent delivery from a set piece all game long and it's a match winner for Kilmarnock. Up to the point where Andreau went off injured St Mirren looked the team more likely to score, but when you take him out the team St Mirren have no creativity at all. 

I don't know if anyone else is feeling the same though. I'm really not enjoying watching St Mirren this season. The way the squad was being built I was expecting a season of deep defending but I also thought St Mirren would offer some good quick counter attacking as well. That's not transpiring at all and I think - for me anyway - it's making St Mirren a very hard team to want to pay money to watch. 

Fuck knows how you felt about watching us this time last season then.

We were much, much worse.

Edited by FTOF

17 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Fuck knows how you felt about watching us this time last season then.

We were much, much worse.

St Mirren had good defensive shape and team structure about them today, that i did not see last year.

Went a bit route one when attacking but i think you will finish higher this year than last...

Edited by flood

23 minutes ago, flood said:

St Mirren had good defensive shape and team structure about them today, that i did not see last year.

Went a bit route one when attacking but i think you will finish higher this year than last...

We did punt a lot of long balls, but Obika won a lot of headers. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough guile to profit from this.

I thought you passed the ball well, but created very little in the final third. Brophy was as quiet as I've seen him, and Hladky really didn't have a save of note to make all day.

However, at least you managed to hit a corner in the direction of one of your, sadly unmarked, players and scored a goal.

Whether you played badly or not, that was two pretty evenly matched teams out there today.

Unfortunately for us, our forwards failed to deliver. If we don't sort that out, then we'll be seeing a repeat of last season's travails.

No idea how we won that one tbh, had St Mirren beaten us by a couple of goals I'm not sure I'd have had many complaints. 

Got to be worrying for Buddies, hate to say it but these are the kind of results that get you relegated. Desperately unfortunate.

For Kilmarnock, I thought the midfield 3 were exceptional as ever. No idea what was wrong with Miller, but Burke certainly livened things up when he arrived. Hoping for good, or reassuring at least, news on Findlay - he will be a massive loss.

1 hour ago, the west curve said:

I hope our two central defenders are not badly injured. To lose both would be a big setback.

Findlay will be going for a scan on Monday according to AA in his BBC post match interview.......

15 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We did punt a lot of long balls, but Obika won a lot of headers. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough guile to profit from this.

I thought you passed the ball well, but created very little in the final third. Brophy was as quiet as I've seen him, and Hladky really didn't have a save of note to make all day.

However, at least you managed to hit a corner in the direction of one of your, sadly unmarked, players and scored a goal.

Whether you played badly or not, that was two pretty evenly matched teams out there today.

Unfortunately for us, our forwards failed to deliver. If we don't sort that out, then we'll be seeing a repeat of last season's travails.

We were very comfortable with the ball in defense and midfield. We do not panic and other players move for us to pass to. We rarely punt up park while under pressure.  We do keep our shape well while defending.

We had 63% possession today which is probably 20% up on a typical Steve Clarke Killie team...

however...

If we only had a Greg Stewart type of player up front to hold and move like he did last year. We would create much more up front...

That's poor service from us however I'd ask why didn't folk buy tickets in advance? It is the responsibility of both clubs to encourage advance purchase of tickets in such a situation when tickets are required for entry. Actually I thought there would be more than the 1,000+ St Mirren fans that attended.
Because we are used to just pay at the gate at Rugy Park and have done so for decades. There was no information on the new setup.

SMFC were selling tickets but also said you could get entry on the day but no explanation of what was involved. And apparently 40% St Mirren season tickets do not stay in Paisley so going into Paisley to buy a ticket is nonsense for the likes of me that now live in Ayrshire.

Why do Clubs (not just Killie) make something so simple so difficult?

Anyone got a replay yet if Andreu’s miss? I thought at the game he was clattered and it should have been a pen. Wanting to see if I was right or made an arse of myself protesting it to my mates

14 minutes ago, stu80 said:

Anyone got a replay yet if Andreu’s miss? I thought at the game he was clattered and it should have been a pen. Wanting to see if I was right or made an arse of myself protesting it to my mates

I blame the pitch for it.🤡. Bad miss.

28 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Because we are used to just pay at the gate at Rugy Park and have done so for decades. There was no information on the new setup.

SMFC were selling tickets but also said you could get entry on the day but no explanation of what was involved. And apparently 40% St Mirren season tickets do not stay in Paisley so going into Paisley to buy a ticket is nonsense for the likes of me that now live in Ayrshire.

Why do Clubs (not just Killie) make something so simple so difficult?

I agree 100%.Its not like there is limited space in the stadium.We have more empty seats that filled seats most weeks. For a large number of our away games recently we were told we MUST buy tickets in advance only to be told in the 24 hours before the game that tickets will be available on the day. Such difficulties together with the pricing hardly encourages fans to attend games and that's before the game starts. The product on the park aint great either so some would say why bother and indeed many don't bother.

4 hours ago, Estragon said:

No idea how we won that one tbh, had St Mirren beaten us by a couple of goals I'm not sure I'd have had many complaints. 

Got to be worrying for Buddies, hate to say it but these are the kind of results that get you relegated. Desperately unfortunate.

We are in a bit more of a fortunate position than we've been over the last couple of years, though.

In Januarys past, we've routinely needed around 10-11 players out and 10-11 players in.

This time around, we need to recruit effectively for 2 or 3 attacking players and really, that's all. I don't know if that's easier or harder but probably harder. If you're bringing in close to dozen players, you throw shit at the wall and inevitably something will stick (unless you're Alan Stubbs)....if you only need two or three bodies, you better get them right, or else.

9 hours ago, FTOF said:

Obika looked decent for you. Certainly held the ball up better and created a few chances with his passing.

Your corners were a sight to behold. 2 of the worst hit I’ve ever seen in the 2nd half in the space of a few minutes, the first was so over hit it almost went out on the full on the other side of the park for a throw in then the next was so under hit it didn’t even clear the first man.