Kilmarnock v St Mirren

Hopefully we can finally get going on the road this season. We've been victim of some narrow defeats on the road but I think apart from Hibs away, the performances haven't been nearly good enough on our travels so far.

Not sure how we should line up in the forward position. None of Obika, Morias or Mullen really suit a lone forward role and it's probably too big of a risk to go two up top. Ironically, Simeon Jackson would have been more ideal to start up top for us on Saturday but hey ho. Of the three though, I'd plump with Mullen.

As ever, loads of confidence in our defence and midfield, it's up front that's the issue, but hopefully with our unorthodox goal threats (O'Donnell, McKenzie, Burke) and maybe a supersub appearance from Jackson against his old team, we should have enough here.

Every Away game so far we have sat in far too deep so expecting us to score as well was a tall order considering our midfield never crossed the half way line. Home games were not much better.

However on Sat Goody changed to a 4-3-3 for the first time and hey presto we have guys charging forward in numbers. Although I would try the same again I doubt Goody will. As long as he doesn't sit back as usual then we have a chance to score and get something from the game.

58 minutes ago, killiefan27 said:

(More likely Broadfoot winds up one of our lads so much they get sent off, then scores the winner and gives a GIRFUY to the East Stand)

Who presents the more real 'former player scores goal' threat? Broadfoot or Jackson?

I reckon Kirk edges it by virtue of actually being likely to start.

Is Jackson likely to play much for Killie? I got the impression it was strictly a short term deal to cover a couple of injuries between now and Christmas, but Brophy was still the nailed on starter?

Jackson was alright for us, but he's not as good as Brophy.

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Is Jackson likely to play much for Killie? I got the impression it was strictly a short term deal to cover a couple of injuries between now and Christmas, but Brophy was still the nailed on starter?

Jackson was alright for us, but he's not as good as Brophy.

Probably won't start - Angelo's stuck with Brophy in pretty much every game where he's been fit so I'd expect Saturday will be no different. Jackson played 60 minutes in Monday's reserve match and missed a couple of chances that he really should have put away - I think if he'd been playing regularly since the summer he probably would have. Broadfoot will definitely be at the wind-up though and will probably be trying his best for a goal or a Killie player to get a red.

On 22/10/2019 at 10:15, NorthBank said:

Every Away game so far we have sat in far too deep so expecting us to score as well was a tall order considering our midfield never crossed the half way line. Home games were not much better.

However on Sat Goody changed to a 4-3-3 for the first time and hey presto we have guys charging forward in numbers. Although I would try the same again I doubt Goody will. As long as he doesn't sit back as usual then we have a chance to score and get something from the game.

Goodwin started with 4 3 3 however St Johnstone were over runing us. Goodwin then changed it to 4 2 3 1 which changed the game in our favour.  Smart move by Goodwin. 

On 22/10/2019 at 10:15, NorthBank said:

The 4-3-3 was awful on Saturday. The full backs were exposed and pinned back, the midfield tried to cover leaving huge gaps in the centre. It was only when Goodwin changed to a 4-4-2 that the team settled and we stopped St Johnstone. No chance it's being tried again away from home. 

Has to be Mullen up top on his own, although wouldn't be opposed to Mullen and Obika if Mullen drops deeper at times in a 4-4-1-1.

Best LB we’ve had for years ........ the only LB we’ve had for years. 

LB is an area that for years managers have decided not to fill with a proper LB. The exception being the championship season.

Watters has been solid if unspectacular. A solid 7/10 each week and we do not have a ready made alternative for Saturday. 

53 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

Best LB we’ve had for years ........ the only LB we’ve had for years. 

LB is an area that for years managers have decided not to fill with a proper LB. The exception being the championship season.

Watters has been solid if unspectacular. A solid 7/10 each week and we do not have a ready made alternative for Saturday. 

Thought Watters had his best game to date last Saturday.  

On 22/10/2019 at 11:59, Coventry Saint said:

Who presents the more real 'former player scores goal' threat? Broadfoot or Jackson?

I reckon Kirk edges it by virtue of actually being likely to start.

Also Jackson left with no ill will. Decent servant left on good terms.