Partick Thistle vs Arbroath

Seen the goals back. 1st and 3rd really are lovely, Gold and Bobby on the 1st with excellent passes then Kader does superbly well to set up Hammy on 3rd. Big LD touch to win the penalty was lovely too

McKenna taking the pen a weird one, Bobby didn't look too happy before it but thankfully it went in [emoji28]

Is it weird? Linn is shite at penalties, didn’t he miss a couple last season? 

Linn usually takes them and was waving his hands to the bench so I'm guessing he's the penalty taker

Last season? None I can think of?

Been here a long time now and missed a few but so has every penalty taker [emoji23]

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Linn usually takes them and was waving his hands to the bench so I'm guessing he's the penalty taker

Last season? None I can think of?

Been here a long time now and missed a few but so has every penalty taker emoji23.png

We have missed a couple but that was Doris and McCord actually I think. 

We have missed a couple but that was Doris and McCord actually I think. 

Mate says Linn missed at home to Stenny, miles over bar. Just found it strange, very worried it was going to go tits up see that situation happen a lot

Thankfully McKenna cool as you like

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Mate says Linn missed at home to Stenny, miles over bar. Just found it strange, very worried it was going to go tits up see that situation happen a lot

Thankfully McKenna cool as you like

Aye it was a cool finish 

Just watched the goals, not that it made a difference but our penalty was a) harsh in terms of there being no intent but i guess the hand was away from the body, ref might have thought he was in the CL with the glamorous surrounds of Firhill, and b) outside the area?

image.thumb.png.8276a85d4ae4daa577b6c1b695e3f065.png

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Just watched the goals, not that it made a difference but our penalty was a) harsh in terms of there being no intent but i guess the hand was away from the body, ref might have thought he was in the CL with the glamorous surrounds of Firhill, and b) outside the area?

image.thumb.png.8276a85d4ae4daa577b6c1b695e3f065.png

Yes, I was in the JLS and thought we were lucky to get the penalty. I felt most refs wouldn't have given it. It looked like the only way we would have scored hence, really, 3-1 flattered us.

Not really much that needs to be said, but congratulations to Arbroath.  For the first 20 or so minutes it seemed like you barely touched the ball. We didn't do much with it, of course.  Then a three pass move - and a great one - cuts us to pieces, and not even being handed a dubious penalty really made us seem like we would get anything.

A part-time side, and you utterly rinsed us while never really looking like you were trying.

Not really much that needs to be said, but congratulations to Arbroath.  For the first 20 or so minutes it seemed like you barely touched the ball. We didn't do much with it, of course.  Then a three pass move - and a great one - cuts us to pieces, and not even being handed a dubious penalty really made us seem like we would get anything.
A part-time side, and you utterly rinsed us while never really looking like you were trying.

Aye we basically let teams have the ball at the back and stay tight in midfield.

Soon as the ball comes into midfield and up to our defence we are great at winning it back. A lot of fit physical guys who can stay organised.

When we win it back we either keep it for a bit and try to work it out wide or play it forward then win the second balls, a lot of our chances come from that and the 3rd goal on Saturday is a perfect example.

Miko, Gold and Whatley do a great job in the middle of the park picking up on clearances from the defenders. Nothing fancy just simple football. Play for possession and set pieces and be direct when we've got it.

Very satisfying performance Saturday. Able to mix it up too, controlled the game away to Alloa and had all the ball, barely touched it at Tannadice and come close to winning the game and when conditions been hard managed to battle through too.

Credit goes to DC because the first two games of the season we were 4-4-2 but feel a lot more solid and flexible playing a 4-5-1.

Think that change has been massive, wouldn't be doing as well if he never changed it.

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye we basically let teams have the ball at the back and stay tight in midfield.

Soon as the ball comes into midfield and up to our defence we are great at winning it back. A lot of fit physical guys who can stay organised.

When we win it back we either keep it for a bit and try to work it out wide or play it forward then win the second balls, a lot of our chances come from that and the 3rd goal on Saturday is a perfect example.

Miko, Gold and Whatley do a great job in the middle of the park picking up on clearances from the defenders. Nothing fancy just simple football. Play for possession and set pieces and be direct when we've got it.

Very satisfying performance Saturday. Able to mix it up too, controlled the game away to Alloa and had all the ball, barely touched it at Tannadice and come close to winning the game and when conditions been hard managed to battle through too.

Credit goes to DC because the first two games of the season we were 4-4-2 but feel a lot more solid and flexible playing a 4-5-1.

Think that change has been massive, wouldn't be doing as well if he never changed it.

One thing I did notice was the little pieces of space your players dropped into.  It's subtle at times, but sometimes all it takes is that little step backwards into space that gives you the time to do something with it.  There was one moment where one of your players found space on the edge of the box, in a big five yard circle of open pitch.  He didn't do much, just intelligent enough to take a step in the right direction to open up space.  It's simple, but it's effective, and it's something we are fucking woeful at.  So pathetically, maddeningly static all of the time.  Wouldn't be so bad if we remained static in a good shape, but we can't even manage that.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Was impressed with Arbroath and the way they'd compress the space as we were more likely when getting the ball out wide.

Virtanen looks a good prospect and just the kind of Player our midfield is missing.