Ayr United v Dundee

33 minutes ago, the west curve said:

Auchinleck Talbot would win this league this season. The standard I have watched on the Fri night games has been very poor.

Hated by your fellow supporters to such an extent that you’re reduced to attempting some pisspoor trolling on Ayr threads. Time to re-evaluate your life I reckon.

1 minute ago, trainspotter said:

Hated by your fellow supporters to such an extent that you’re reduced to attempting some pisspoor trolling on Ayr threads. Time to re-evaluate your life I reckon.

It’s a public forum and I watched the game last night on National TV. I also watched Talbot beating Ayr on National TV. My comment was a truthful reflection on what I have viewed.  Your comment brings down the tone of this forum nut that is for you to reflect on. 

Talbot should join the seniors then instead of being a bunch of ambitionless shitebags.

Anyway, was disappointing last night, Dundee didn't look great but didn't really have to be. They managed the game well but that is what it is and can't really complain, we played into it with the niggles.

Just need to pick ourselves up and work our way out of this little rut we're in.

13 hours ago, The Gypsy King said:

I'd leave the panic button alone for now, but we need to start taking our chances and get a result soon otherwise we will lose the positive momentum we had before these three defeats. The league is pretty tight and we could find ourselves falling down the table if we're not careful.

We've actually not been awful in the last three games, we just need to take advantage of our good periods of play and clear the ball properly.

I back Kerr 100% and was reasonably happy with his appointment, especially compared to some of the names linked to the job. Hopefully he gets a few wins soon to prove the doubters wrong.

100% THIS.

As I was telling my suicidal mates last night, I would be worried if we'd lost 3 on the bounce and been completely destroyed and outclassed but we haven't. On the other hand the likes of Dundee Utd were scudded 4-0 by Queens and then completely outclassed in a 1-0 defeat against part time Alloa which WOULD have alarm bells ringing.

It's a really tight league, we've got a lot of injuries in key areas at the moment and unfortunately we've not been taking our chances BUT we're still competing ok so for me that's the main thing as sooner or later things will come right.

As for last night, it was a tight game but once Dundee went ahead they were extremely professional, although I did think their negativity and lack of self belief in the final 20 mins may actually come back and bite them as there was no doubt that we were there for the taking. You would think with the amount of quality they have they should be putting teams away when they're on top rather than trying to hold on to a narrow lead ? Still, they got their 3 points and we left with nothing so I suppose they got the job done ok.

No issues with Kerr or the tactics as he was left with little choice but to bring on Moore for Geggan as we had no midfield replacements available. The Morton game on Tuesday now becomes really important as I can see a few of our fans are close to the plot losing stage and no doubt it will be poor Mark Kerr and or Kris Doolan who will bear the brunt.

Where's Chris Aitken when you need him...........................

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

...lack of self belief in the final 20 mins may actually come back and bite them...

Whether tactics or lack of belief we had a period of 15 minutes or so where our midfield just stopped.  After 60 minutes of decent work it disappeared. We got it back in the last 10 but that was a real worry.  Not so sure about you rating us having quality players and should be better.  Some decent players yes but we have had to tear this squad apart from last season and no surprise it is still hard work (Forster in defence for a start!). 

2 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

Whether tactics or lack of belief we had a period of 15 minutes or so where our midfield just stopped.  After 60 minutes of decent work it disappeared. We got it back in the last 10 but that was a real worry.  Not so sure about you rating us having quality players and should be better.  Some decent players yes but we have had to tear this squad apart from last season and no surprise it is still hard work (Forster in defence for a start!). 

I just felt that you could easily have put the game to bed but seemed to be really negative rather than putting us out of our misery when you had the chance.

Incidentally, that's the best I've seen McDaid play at Somerset for about two years !!!

33 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

As for last night, it was a tight game but once Dundee went ahead they were extremely professional, although I did think their negativity and lack of self belief in the final 20 mins may actually come back and bite them as there was no doubt that we were there for the taking. You would think with the amount of quality they have they should be putting teams away when they're on top rather than trying to hold on to a narrow lead ? Still, they got their 3 points and we left with nothing so I suppose they got the job done ok.

I think if Ayr had really gone all out Dundee would have collapsed and given an equaliser up.

Your points about Dundee are fair enough, but I'd argue that you're talking about a Dundee that doesn't really exist, yet.

We've blown leads and been prone to disappointing results since the start of the season. Confidence can't be that high. McPake has made mistakes in terms of tactics and player usage, so the team simply isn't used to going ahead and then taking games by the scruff in order to see them out. It's not a particularly deep squad either, so I think you're probably overestimating the quality available as well. The arse falling out against Partick happened after we'd subbied on a 16 year old and a 17 year old, so it's not like we can just take off Dorrans or Gowser once they tire and replace them with a like-for-like player. 

If we're still blowing leads and looking shakey as hell late in games after new year then aye, it's time to worry, but right now Dundee simply aren't at the stage where you can realistically expect them to just throttle the life out of matches once they get a lead.

Edited by Boo Khaki

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think if Ayr had really gone all out Dundee would have collapsed and given an equaliser up.

Your points about Dundee are fair enough, but I'd argue that you're talking about a Dundee that doesn't really exist, yet.

We've blown leads and been prone to disappointing results since the start of the season. Confidence can't be that high. McPake has made mistakes in terms of tactics and player usage, so the team simply isn't used to going ahead and then taking games by the scruff in order to see them out. It's not a particularly deep squad either, so I think you're probably overestimating the quality available as well. The arse falling out against Partick happened after we'd subbied on a 16 year old and a 17 year old, so it's not like we can just take off Dorrans or Gowser once they tire and replace them with a like-for-like player. 

If we're still blowing leads and looking shakey as hell late in games after new year then aye, it's time to worry, but right now Dundee simply aren't at the stage where you can realistically expect them to just throttle the life out of matches once they get a lead.

Agreed, scrappy wins are going to be the modus operandi of this team for a while.

Auchinleck Talbot would win this league this season. The standard I have watched on the Fri night games has been very poor.
They'd be lucky to get a point. They would get pumped regularly by every team. Junior football is awful but good for a piss up.

5 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:
6 hours ago, the west curve said:

They'd be lucky to get a point. They would get pumped regularly by every team. Junior football is awful but good for a piss up.

Dundee were keen to sign an ex Talbot striker in the summer. Talbot have also played two league clubs this year and beat them both without losing a goal. 

9 minutes ago, the west curve said:

Dundee were keen to sign an ex Talbot striker in the summer. Talbot have also played two league clubs this year and beat them both without losing a goal. 

Who was this player? Was he going to go straight into the first team? Why didn't we sign him? Could we not match Talbot's wages? Was it Championship teams Talbot beat?

Thank you in advance. 

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

Who was this player? Was he going to go straight into the first team? Why didn't we sign him? Could we not match Talbot's wages? Was it Championship teams Talbot beat?

Thank you in advance. 

One of the teams that Talbot beat were TOP of the championship at the time. The player was Doolan who did not fancy going to Dundee. 

One of the teams that Talbot beat were TOP of the championship at the time. The player was Doolan who did not fancy going to Dundee. 

Cup games have no relevance to where a club would finish in a league.

Doolan also has no relevance to anything. Neither do you really.