Alloa v Queens

44 minutes ago, Redwedge77 said:

Never in control of the game two up against the run of play. A draw a fair result in the end. The ref missed a blatant penalty at start of second half for Alloa.

It certainly wasn't against the run of play, not sure what you were watching. Margin maybe flattered us but we were the better side first half. I thought the first half was a really good half of football. Both sides played some nice stuff at times. We looked the more dangerous. We should have scored first when Paton was clean through but shot at a comfortable height for a "tv save" for MacDonald when a square ball to Dobbie would have seen a tap in. Alloa should then have scored with their only chance of note I can recall first half when suddenly they had about three men in front of our goal six yard out. Somehow Holty blocked it on the line and McCrorie fell on the loose ball. Then we did score and it was a thing of magic from Dobbie. Unstoppable. Brilliant cross from Paton a minute later, towering powerful header from Hamilton and it's 2-0.  Between then and half time Dobbie and El Bakhtaoui both had chances to extend the lead.

Second half Alloa came out with renewed energy and we got a little deeper. Whether we did so consciously or Alloa forced us back I'm not sure. Never the less, Dobbie was clean through at 2-0 and should have clinched the game. He shot straight at MacDonald and 5 minutes later we were 2-2. Both goals were horrible defensively, particularly the second. The first we seemed not to react to a quick throw and suddenly Trouten was clean in on goal. Calm early finish. The second one we were all still looking at each other. It's criminal stuff straight from kick off. The defence gave the ball away, a loose ball seemed to be Lewis Kidd's but he somehow lost it again and O'Hara was bearing down on goal in a very similar position to Michael Paton first half. Unlike Paton he found an absolutely terrific finish right into the top corner.

Thereafter I thought we shaded the rest of the game and certainly came far closer to winning it than Alloa did. Great clearance off the line from one of their players when Hamilton bravely beat MacDonald in an aerial challenge. Also Paton firing wide from the edge of the box when anything on target was a goal.

In the end a draw was probably fair enough and I wouldn't have been massively unhappy at it this morning. But having led 2-0 and having the best of the chances we really should have won it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

We had enough chances to win two games and to throw away a two goal lead as cheaply as that was dreadful.

Alloa passed the ball well but created virtually nothing.

When you win 3 games in a row in this league it is inevitably a huge “game changer” and to squander two points in that fashion is a big downer on the back of a great performance last week.

Very disappointing feels like we lost that game..We got over confident at half time thought the job was done you just can't do that in the Championship .

I'd be interested to hear if Buchanan coming on at h/t helped us. Was very surprised indeed that he was on the bench. He led the line very well last week, brought others into play and scored an excellent goal. Flannigan had to come back into the team today but I really don't think Buchs should have dropped out. 

Great spirit from the team again to come back 😍

46 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

For all my past criticism of Kidd I felt bad for him. He completely fluffed it for the second goal but his performance didn't deserve that. Thought he was one of our better players today.

This. I thought he was our best player today, and was thinking of you during the game! But he made a complete howler on their equaliser. He wasn't the only one. The whole team looked on their heels and dejected at losing a goal, the back line seemed unprepared for the ball coming back to them from kick off, there were 2 or 3 hurried passes before the ball was given away (not sure who actually gave it away) but then Kidd seemed to have dealt with it, only to lose it again. And then it's a magnificent strike which prevented any hope of McCrorie rescuing us this time.

I'd be interested to hear if Buchanan coming on at h/t helped us. Was very surprised indeed that he was on the bench. He led the line very well last week, brought others into play and scored an excellent goal. Flannigan had to come back into the team today but I really don't think Buchs should have dropped out. 
Great spirit from the team again to come back [emoji7]

Yes, Buchs coming on made a difference. His movement was clever and he linked up well with the midfield. He was certainly unlucky not to start after his goal and performance last week, but the manager clearly had a tough decision deciding who should make way for Flanny.

Likewise Kev was unlucky to come off at half-time, even though he hadn't had his best first half, given how well he has been playing in recent weeks. It was, however the right decision to bring Buchs on and someone had to come off.

I thought we played pretty well first half and had a chance which should really have been buried from inside the six yard box when it was nil-nil. In fact there were few decent chances at either end until Dobbie scored the sort of goal out of nothing that he can and does.

Wasn't sure where our first goal was coming from, but no surprise it came from Trouts with a typically composed finish. O'Hara's equaliser was a cracker.

QotS were pretty good today. Dobbie looks back to his best and they were solid all over the park. In particular I liked the aggression and work rate of Pybus, who I don't remember seeing before.

Another good, determined performance from this Alloa team and another precious point.

Great spirit from the team again to come back [emoji7]
Would you have dropped brown for Buchs

55 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Great spirit from the team again to come back 😍

For me Buchanans introduction made a huge difference.His movement and hold up play also helped O,Hara who was more of a handful second half.Delighted with a point after being two down and once again this group of players just don,t give up.We have had the Indian sign on Queens lately and there is no rhyme or reason for that as I think Queens are better than many in the league. At the end of the day we have beat Dundee Utd,drew away at Caley and at home to Queens in our last three games and sit ninth in the table.Thats how hard it is.

For me Buchanans introduction made a huge difference.His movement and hold up play also helped O,Hara who was more of a handful second half.Delighted with a point after being two down and once again this group of players just don,t give up.We have had the Indian sign on Queens lately and there is no rhyme or reason for that as I think Queens are better than many in the league. At the end of the day we have beat Dundee Utd,drew away at Caley and at home to Queens in our last three games and sit ninth in the table.Thats how hard it is.
I think if we get 3 points Tues its been a good oct for us . Arbroath and us punching above our weight

We hadn’t conceded any goals for three games (still best defence in the league), but to lose two in a minute came as a shock, particularly the ‘comedy of errors’ for the second. Although it was a fine strike by O’Hara.

I thought we were comfortably ahead, and I was expecting us to see it out, maybe adding another.  Ironically, Alloa seemed to be running out of ideas and were looking ragged until the goals.

The one positive was that having been pegged back, the team rallied and looked the more likely to score (and Paton should have least kept it on target having been set up beautifully by Dobbs). Although must confess I was expecting a  last minute Alloa winner. The fact that both teams went for it made it entertaining, albeit a bit nervy as well.

Not a crisis or a disaster, just irritating having been ahead. 

We hadn’t conceded any goals for three games (still best defence in the league), but to lose two in a minute came as a shock, particularly the ‘comedy of errors’ for the second. Although it was a fine strike by O’Hara.
I thought we were comfortably ahead, and I was expecting us to see it out, maybe adding another.  Ironically, Alloa seemed to be running out of ideas and were looking ragged until the goals.
The one positive was that having been pegged back, the team rallied and looked the more likely to score (and Paton should have least kept it on target having been set up beautifully by Dobbs). Although must confess I was expecting a  last minute Alloa winner. The fact that both teams went for it made it entertaining, albeit a bit nervy as well.
Not a crisis or a disaster, just irritating having been ahead. 

Agree with this.

The positive was that having squandered a two goal lead most of us were expecting the “inevitable” Alloa winner but we were the team pulling out all the stops to get the winner. No thoughts of settling for a point despite the obvious frustration.

After a poor start we played well and as others have said I thought Kidd and Paton were excellent.

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It certainly wasn't against the run of play, not sure what you were watching. Margin maybe flattered us but we were the better side first half. I thought the first half was a really good half of football. Both sides played some nice stuff at times. We looked the more dangerous. We should have scored first when Paton was clean through but shot at a comfortable height for a "tv save" for MacDonald when a square ball to Dobbie would have seen a tap in. Alloa should then have scored with their only chance of note I can recall first half when suddenly they had about three men in front of our goal six yard out. Somehow Holty blocked it on the line and McCrorie fell on the loose ball. Then we did score and it was a thing of magic from Dobbie. Unstoppable. Brilliant cross from Paton a minute later, towering powerful header from Hamilton and it's 2-0.  Between then and half time Dobbie and El Bakhtaoui both had chances to extend the lead.

Second half Alloa came out with renewed energy and we got a little deeper. Whether we did so consciously or Alloa forced us back I'm not sure. Never the less, Dobbie was clean through at 2-0 and should have clinched the game. He shot straight at MacDonald and 5 minutes later we were 2-2. Both goals were horrible defensively, particularly the second. The first we seemed not to react to a quick throw and suddenly Trouten was clean in on goal. Calm early finish. The second one we were all still looking at each other. It's criminal stuff straight from kick off. The defence gave the ball away, a loose ball seemed to be Lewis Kidd's but he somehow lost it again and O'Hara was bearing down on goal in a very similar position to Michael Paton first half. Unlike Paton he found an absolutely terrific finish right into the top corner.

Thereafter I thought we shaded the rest of the game and certainly came far closer to winning it than Alloa did. Great clearance off the line from one of their players when Hamilton bravely beat MacDonald in an aerial challenge. Also Paton firing wide from the edge of the box when anything on target was a goal.

In the end a draw was probably fair enough and I wouldn't have been massively unhappy at it this morning. But having led 2-0 and having the best of the chances we really should have won it.

After reading this I had the impression that QoS had scored two unstoppable efforts and that we had replied with two goals thanks to defensive errors. Having watched the highlights it would seem that both sides scored their first goals with excellent strikes, but you could question how they dealt with the initial throw-in. Both then switched off after conceding and gave away possession cheaply to quickly concede again, although there was still plenty of skill involved in the way both goals were scored.

I know we all see games from our team's perspective and that's fair enough, but there isn't a significant difference in those four goals. All four have elements of excellent football and "horrible" defending. 

3 minutes ago, Waspie said:

After reading this I had the impression that QoS had scored two unstoppable efforts and that we had replied with two goals thanks to defensive errors. Having watched the highlights it would seem that both sides scored their first goals with excellent strikes, but you could question how they dealt with the initial throw-in. Both then switched off after conceding and gave away possession cheaply to quickly concede again, although there was still plenty of skill involved in the way both goals were scored.

I know we all see games from our team's perspective and that's fair enough, but there isn't a significant difference in those four goals. All four have elements of excellent football and "horrible" defending. 

Other than the fact your 2nd was truly horrific defensively notwithstanding a terrific strike from O'Hara. I agree. Dont think anything in my first post said otherwise. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Good highlights. Interesting to see Alloa tinted specs are in use from the manager down to the commentator and on to the fans [emoji38]

Any neutral watching that would say it was 2 points dropped for QoS, not Alloa. I wasn't wrong in my recollection that it was 3 chances all game for Alloa including the goals.

Great movement for Alloa's first but our CB both needlessly commit themselves and leave a massive gap for Trouten, Kidd doesn't track him and it's simple in the end.

I never realised there were so many individual mistakes for the second. Kilday puts himself on the back foot and Holt plays the stray pass before Kidd falls over the ball. I thought it was Kidd's fault in real time but Holt and Kilday are just as much to blame, Kidd is just unfortunate in that he's the last QoS player to touch it before the goal. Great strike from O'Hara though.

When you take out Alloa's possession from the highlights I'm actually more gutted having watched that that we threw that away.

Should add that Paton was entitled to shoot in the first half. The way Dobbie reacted I thought it was a tap in for him but looking at the highlights there were 2 Alloa defenders blocking the route. He was unlucky with his strike.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Good highlights. Interesting to see Alloa tinted specs are in use from the manager down to the commentator and on to the fans emoji38.png

Perceived performance aside, we need to beat the teams that are worse than us. Hence two points dropped. 😉