Brexit Vote poll

ICTChris

Brexit vote  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the result in tomorrow's Commons vote on the Brexit deal will be

• Deal is PASSED by more than 10 votes
    • Deal is PASSED by less than 10 votes
    • Vote is a DRAW - dead heat.
    • Deal is REJECTED by less than 10 votes
    • Deal is REJECTED by more than 10 votes

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/10/19 at 15:11

What do people think the result will be of the Brexit vote tomorrow?  Not what you want to happen but what you think will happen.

If it's a deada heat then John Bercow will use his casting vote as Speaker.  If I remember accurately, convention says that the Speaker should vote with the government on a tied whipped vote, meaning he'd be expected to pass the deal.  I think the last time this happened may have been in one of the Maastricht votes when Betty Boothroyd voted with John Major's government despite her having previously been a Labour MP.

I think it'll pass by less than ten votes.

What do people think the result will be of the Brexit vote tomorrow?  Not what you want to happen but what you think will happen.
If it's a deada heat then John Bercow will use his casting vote as Speaker.  If I remember accurately, convention says that the Speaker should vote with the government on a tied whipped vote, meaning he'd be expected to pass the deal.  I think the last time this happened may have been in one of the Maastricht votes when Betty Boothroyd voted with John Major's government despite her having previously been a Labour MP.
I think it'll pass by less than ten votes.

The speaker can only vote in line with precedents and conventions, their own personal opinion cannot come into consideration. The two main conventions are as follows:

(1) For a “preliminary” reading of a bill, vote to encourage further debate. So this would usually mean voting in favour of a further reading.

(2) For the final reading of a bill, the house can only pass bills if a majority support it, therefore in a tied situation the speaker will vote against the bill.

It will get passed. The only way Scotland will become independent is when it finally gets it's head out of the sand and realises that England will NEVER give us the right to vote for independence. We should at that point do what Ireland did to get independence and take up arms.

Postponed as well by the Letwin ammendment and then voted down (if it ever even comes to a vote) 3 month extension and a GE

Edited by Jedi