Age of Empires 2

Stellaboz

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

So this has really taken off again at work, we've had a team event evening playing this which was great. However, it was my first time playing and I got utterly destroyed.

Any hits or tips as to how to go about being decent?

One of my favourite games ever. Must have been into the hundreds of hours spent playing AoE2. and I'm not at all ashamed at that level of geekery.

Best strategy depends on if your multiplayer games are set up as Random Map matches or Deathmatch. With Random Map you started with very limited resources, whereas with Deathmatch you start with thousands in all the resources. Deathmatch is easy for tactics - just a couple of villagers to start, getting them to build a bunch of houses for unit capacity and then it's military military military.

Random Map strategies are totally different. With them the best way to start off is to build 4-8 houses asap and keep creating villagers until you've got a small army of them collecting wood and food. Once you've got the capacity for 50 or so units (8 houses + Town Centre covers this), get a Barracks and Archery up and start creating military. Watch Towers are useful early doors as they spot the enemy coming and will kill/injure them.

I don't know how basic your knowledge is, but there are a few wee things that make a difference:
- send your scout for a wander as soon as it starts and get them to send all the sheep back to you. Great starting point for collecting food
- location of buildings is key for productivity, eg. mill next to food, farms next to the TC or Mill as well, mining camps next to gold & silver and lumber camps next to forests
- watch your unit capacity - make sure you've always got enough houses for everyone you need
- don't let villagers do nothing - even if you've exhausted all bushes, gold and stone, keep them chopping wood or farming
- don't ring the alarm bell. If villagers look like they're about to get attacked, garrison those ones individually somewhere safe. Ringing the bell stops them all working and is a waste of productivity.

This is all just off the top of my head. Haven't played the game in a good few years, but it's a fucking classic. One thing I like is there is no real dominant civilisation and it's very balanced in that the different strengths they all have mean you can find a civ to fit your own strategy. Would recommend Teutons if you want to defend and Mongols if you want to attack - just for the elite units of both of them.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

- don't let villagers do nothing - even if you've exhausted all bushes, gold and stone, keep them chopping wood or farming
- don't ring the alarm bell. If villagers look like they're about to get attacked, garrison those ones individually somewhere safe. Ringing the bell stops them all working and is a waste of productivity.

You monster.

Loved this game but always forget it exists, don't think I ever actually succeeded at it.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You monster.

Loved this game but always forget it exists, don't think I ever actually succeeded at it.

In the second point I’m trying to save their lives! Just the ones who are about to get attacked, mind you. The others who aren’t involved can keep slaving until they’re in danger as well...

Its a tremendous game, but the difference in difficulty going from Medium (too easy) to Hard (annoying as f**k) was the one real flaw I can remember. So I can see why it could be a struggle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...