Zzzzzzzzzz

Guest bernardblack

I just don't feel alright during the day unless i get enough sleep. I think its mostly since i started driving to work but its so important.

I don't exercise enough, dont eat as well as i should, smoke and drink too much but just cannot face the day without enough sleep.

14 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I used to be a terrible insomniac when I was a teenager. There's about four years that I barely remember due to spending it feeling like a zombie.

If you need a solid night's sleep, I can wholeheartedly recommend reading my posts a set of quality earplugs. It's amazing how much ambient noise can affect the quality of your sleep.

This. Add in tinnitus and a quiet room to most people is far from it to me. Ear plugs seem to help me achieve at least 4 hours, which is far better than years ago.

Pretty poor.

I'll go to bed ~23:30, wake up around 3am and then struggle to get back to sleep.  The darker mornings are helping a bit now though rather than having sunlight getting around the new so-called black out blinds at 04:30.  Strangely I seem to get less sleep if I force myself to go to bed earlier than that.

I need a very particular position to sleep though; on my side with one elbow and one knee sticking out at 90 degrees.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Always been a bit of an insomniac , and has never really affected me work-wise etc . 5-6 hrs would normally be a good night , waking a couple of times during that period .

Started a new job as a train driver at start of year and back onto shifts for the first time in 10 years . They are really big on you having the appropriate rest , which is fair enough I suppose if you're doing 90mph with 400 passengers on board .

Earliest start times are around 4am , so to get the preferred minimum sleep means bed at around 7pm for a 3am rise . Very hard to do , especially in the light summer months but adapting as time goes on .

Have found reading for a bit helps me unwind and drift off more easily , it's still the staying asleep part that's the problem . Regularly wake a few times during the night , but find I drift back off more easily than I used to .

Shifts are generally 9-10 hrs and can be quite intense with concentration levels required , so job is far more mentally than physically exhausting , so think this is what obviously makes me more tired and has resulted in the slightly improved sleeping . 

Normally have a lie in on one of my rest days . Don't generally sleep longer , but just read and relax a bit to recharge a little .

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You could always catch a power nap on the longer straight bits. Mind and wake up again for the corners though.

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You could always catch a power nap on the longer straight bits. Mind and wake up again for the corners though.

Do you ever have recurring nightmares?

Always been a bit of an insomniac , and has never really affected me work-wise etc . 5-6 hrs would normally be a good night , waking a couple of times during that period .
Started a new job as a train driver at start of year and back onto shifts for the first time in 10 years . They are really big on you having the appropriate rest , which is fair enough I suppose if you're doing 90mph with 400 passengers on board .
Earliest start times are around 4am , so to get the preferred minimum sleep means bed at around 7pm for a 3am rise . Very hard to do , especially in the light summer months but adapting as time goes on .
Have found reading for a bit helps me unwind and drift off more easily , it's still the staying asleep part that's the problem . Regularly wake a few times during the night , but find I drift back off more easily than I used to .
Shifts are generally 9-10 hrs and can be quite intense with concentration levels required , so job is far more mentally than physically exhausting , so think this is what obviously makes me more tired and has resulted in the slightly improved sleeping . 
Normally have a lie in on one of my rest days . Don't generally sleep longer , but just read and relax a bit to recharge a little .
90mph? 9-10 hour jobs? You need a transfer m8 :D

On 17/10/2019 at 05:20, 8MileBU said:

Not great, find it hard to sleep before about 1am, often 2am and usually back up about 7-7:30.

I do find every few weeks or so I have a crash-and-burn and have one night where I zonk out about 9-10pm and have a good 8-9 hours sleep, but rarely do that more than one night in a row.

I was caught in this very cycle until I left the construction industry. 

7 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

You can say that again!

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

90mph? 9-10 hour jobs? You need a transfer m8 :D

Train drivers should be made obsolete. It's always them that cause crashes, they've killed more people than lorry drivers. Trains should be driven by computers, like on the DLR.

Usually pretty good. Try and go to bed around 10.30 and read a book for a bit. Asleep before midnight. Maybe get 7-8 hours sleep.

Recently I seem to spend half the night turning round and round. I think it’s another case of mental wife putting the heavy cover over the already high tog duvet.

What do train drivers do that could not be done by computer, apart from fall asleep?

Why are there no drivers on the DLR?

The network isn't even fully electrified yet. It would cost millions, even billions. Given there are very few major incidents caused by driver error it would be a completely futile investment.

My response was more to do with your daft comparison to lorry drivers and the inaccurate statement that it's drivers who cause the accidents.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

The network isn't even fully electrified yet. It would cost millions, even billions. Given there are very few major incidents caused by driver error it would be a completely futile investment.

My response was more to do with your daft comparison to lorry drivers.

If they can make autonomous cars, autonomous trains would be a doddle even without full electrification. They don't even need to steer.