Getting Around Scotland

55 minutes ago, Doctor said:

I've really not seen enough of Scotland. I know the east coast well but ive hardly ever been to the central belt or the proper highlands.

Too many people get as far as Ullapool and then turn around, ignoring the rest of the NW but considering it 'ticked off'

21e77d.gif.

balnakeil-beach.jpg

ba0608a466401bb4144972e5ca908965.jpg

19840333900_191b8c04a0_b.jpg

22 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Which of the following places in Scotland have you NOT been to? Either simply post a the total number, go one further by providing a score for each (somewhat arbitrary) 'zone', or go all out and list the specific ones.

Zone A 
Castlebay, Dingwall, Durness, Fort William, Inverness, anywhere on Lewis, anywhere in Orkney, Portree, anywhere in Shetland, Tongue, Torridon, either of the Uists, Ullapool,  Wick

Zone B 
Aberdeen, Aberfeldy, Aberlour, Alford, Arbroath, Ballater, Banchory, Banff, Blairgowrie, Brechin, Dundee, Elgin, Forfar, Fraserburgh, Grantown on Spey, Montrose, Peterhead, Stonehaven, Tomintoul, Turriff 

Zone C 
Alloa, Bathgate, Crieff, Cupar, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Galashiels, Glenrothes, Hawick, Kelso, Kirkcaldy, Linlithgow, Livingston, Musselburgh, North Berwick, Peebles, Penicuik, Perth, St Andrews, Stirling 

Zone D 

Airdrie, Ayr, Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, Dumbarton, East Kilbride, Greenock, Hamilton, Irvine, Kilmarnock, Kilwinning, Kirkintilloch, Lanark, Largs, Milngavie, Motherwell, Paisley, Prestwick, Rothesay, Ruel Street, Wishaw

Zone E

Brodick, Campbeltown, Castle Douglas, Dumfries, anywhere on Islay , Lochgoilhead, Oban, Stranraer, Tobermory, Whithorn

Eta: Additionally, have you been to any places abroad that have a Scottish name, e.g.  Aberdeen (either Hong Kong or any of the million in the USA), Banff (Canada), Blantyre (Malawi), Calgary (Canada), Hamilton (Bermuda), Perth (Australia) etc etc...

46 in total places I have not (to my recollection) attended. I chose to disregard places I have driven through but not stopped.

There's a wee village in western Poland called Szkocja, which is the Polish word for Scotland.

I used to work in a nearby town and one day in 2009 I swung by to see it. Nothing there whatsoever, but I've been and seen it.

7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

There's a wee village in western Poland called Szkocja, which is the Polish word for Scotland.

I used to work in a nearby town and one day in 2009 I swung by to see it. Nothing there whatsoever, but I've been and seen it.

Appropriate if the founder's experience of Scotland had been its architecture rather than its scenery.

On 16/10/2019 at 14:17, Hedgecutter said:

Which of the following places in Scotland have you NOT been to? Either simply post a the total number, go one further by providing a score for each (somewhat arbitrary) 'zone', or go all out and list the specific ones.

Zone A 
Castlebay, Dingwall, Durness, Fort William, Inverness, anywhere on Lewis, anywhere in Orkney, Portree, anywhere in Shetland, Tongue, Torridon, either of the Uists, Ullapool,  Wick

Zone B 
Aberdeen, Aberfeldy, Aberlour, Alford, Arbroath, Ballater, Banchory, Banff, Blairgowrie, Brechin, Dundee, Elgin, Forfar, Fraserburgh, Grantown on Spey, Montrose, Peterhead, Stonehaven, Tomintoul, Turriff 

Zone C 
Alloa, Bathgate, Crieff, Cupar, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Galashiels, Glenrothes, Hawick, Kelso, Kirkcaldy, Linlithgow, Livingston, Musselburgh, North Berwick, Peebles, Penicuik, Perth, St Andrews, Stirling 

Zone D 

Airdrie, Ayr, Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, Dumbarton, East Kilbride, Greenock, Hamilton, Irvine, Kilmarnock, Kilwinning, Kirkintilloch, Lanark, Largs, Milngavie, Motherwell, Paisley, Prestwick, Rothesay, Ruel Street, Wishaw

Zone E

Brodick, Campbeltown, Castle Douglas, Dumfries, anywhere on Islay , Lochgoilhead, Oban, Stranraer, Tobermory, Whithorn

Eta: Additionally, have you been to any places abroad that have a Scottish name, e.g.  Aberdeen (either Hong Kong or any of the million in the USA), Banff (Canada), Blantyre (Malawi), Calgary (Canada), Hamilton (Bermuda), Perth (Australia) etc etc...

8-3-0-2-2

7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

My wife was brought up in Jedrzejow. Polish for St Andrews...

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Appropriate if the founder's experience of Scotland had been its architecture rather than its scenery.

2 hours ago, Angusfifer said:

My wife was brought up in Jedrzejow. Polish for St Andrews...

There's actually a relatively strong Scottish heritage in Poland with migration from Scotland to Poland going back hundreds of years. Perhaps others know this well, but I was surprised to learn this when I lived there.

There are quite a few Polish-ized versions of Scottish first names and surnames that have become normal in Poland, and there are place names if you know what you're looking for too.

We've been there for ages.

EDIT: To add this, in case anyone fancies some further reading on the topic. Food for thought when some p***k moans about all the Poles in Scotland.

http://www.krakowpost.com/7881/2014/03/scots-in-poland-poles-in-scotland

Edited by JTS98

On 16/10/2019 at 14:17, Hedgecutter said:

Zone A 

Zone B 

Zone C 

Zone D 

Zone E

Zone A - 1 Dingwall

Zone B - 0

Zone C - 2 Galashiels and Hawick

Zone D - 1 Irvine

Zone E - 3 Islay, Tobermory, Whithorn

I think I may have drive through Dingwall and I’ve been to Mull, just not to Tobermory.

Edited by Scary Bear