Getting Around Scotland

A 13
B 13
C 7
D 9
E 7

Been to Dunedin, Florida and Hamilton, Ontario, one was nice enough, the other not so much. Was hoping to visit Tobermory, Ontario this summer but never not round to it yet. There are a huge number of places in Canada with Scottish names, the first immigrants clearly had no imagination. 

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Which of the following places in Scotland have you NOT been to? Either simply post a the total number, go one further by providing a score for each (somewhat arbitrary) 'zone', or go all out and list the specific ones.

Zone A 
Castlebay, Dingwall, Durness, Fort William, Inverness, anywhere on Lewis, anywhere in Orkney, Portree, anywhere in Shetland, Tongue, Torridon, either of the Uists, Ullapool,  Wick

Zone B 
Aberdeen, Aberfeldy, Aberlour, Alford, Arbroath, Ballater, Banchory, Banff, Blairgowrie, Brechin, Dundee, Elgin, Forfar, Fraserburgh, Grantown on Spey, Montrose, Peterhead, Stonehaven, Tomintoul, Turriff 

Zone C 
Alloa, Bathgate, Crieff, Cupar, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Galashiels, Glenrothes, Hawick, Kelso, Kirkcaldy, Linlithgow, Livingston, Musselburgh, North Berwick, Peebles, Penicuik, Perth, St Andrews, Stirling 

Zone D 

Airdrie, Ayr, Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, Dumbarton, East Kilbride, Greenock, Hamilton, Irvine, Kilmarnock, Kilwinning, Kirkintilloch, Lanark, Largs, Milngavie, Motherwell, Paisley, Prestwick, Rothesay, Ruel Street, Wishaw

Zone E

Brodick, Campbeltown, Castle Douglas, Dumfries, anywhere on Islay , Lochgoilhead, Oban, Stranraer, Tobermory, Whithorn

Eta: Additionally, have you been to any places abroad that have a Scottish name, e.g.  Aberdeen (either Hong Kong or any of the million in the USA), Banff (Canada), Blantyre (Malawi), Calgary (Canada), Hamilton (Bermuda), Perth (Australia) etc etc...

Zone A - 7

Zone B - 12

Zone C - 0

Zone D - 1

Zone E - 4

and No. 

Edited by Malky3

I took a short detour to visit the truly unremarkable little town of Glasgow, Virginia.

Spookily, the song playing on the car radio as I drove past the town sign was Simple Minds "Don't you forget about me"

There was also a Historic Marker Sign denoting the site of the first recorded skirmish between New World Settlers and Native American Indians...probably started by "What are you looking at?"

A10, B8, C2, D10, E3

Must get round more of Scotland, I've only lived in Shetland and Aberdour. Football helps get round most of Scotland but I have some pockets I've yet to see.

Edited by Adam101

Which of the following places in Scotland have you NOT been to?

Zone A 
Castlebay, Dingwall, Durness, Fort William, Inverness, anywhere on Lewis, anywhere in Orkney, Portree, anywhere in Shetland, Tongue, Torridon, either of the Uists, Ullapool,  Wick

Been to 8/14

Zone B 
Aberdeen, Aberfeldy, Aberlour, Alford, Arbroath, Ballater, Banchory, Banff, Blairgowrie, Brechin, Dundee, Elgin, Forfar, Fraserburgh, Grantown on Spey, Montrose, Peterhead, Stonehaven, Tomintoul, Turriff 

Been to 20/20

Zone C 
Alloa, Bathgate, Crieff, Cupar, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Galashiels, Glenrothes, Hawick, Kelso, Kirkcaldy, Linlithgow, Livingston, Musselburgh, North Berwick, Peebles, Penicuik, Perth, St Andrews, Stirling 

Been to 20/20

Zone D 

Airdrie, Ayr, Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, Dumbarton, East Kilbride, Greenock, Hamilton, Irvine, Kilmarnock, Kilwinning, Kirkintilloch, Lanark, Largs, Milngavie, Motherwell, Paisley, Prestwick, Rothesay, Ruel Street, Wishaw

Been to 21/21. Took my maw to one.

Zone E

Brodick, Campbeltown, Castle Douglas, Dumfries, anywhere on Islay , Lochgoilhead, Oban, Stranraer, Tobermory, Whithorn

Been to 10/10

Eta: Additionally, have you been to any places abroad that have a Scottish name, e.g.  Aberdeen (either Hong Kong or any of the million in the USA), Banff (Canada), Blantyre (Malawi), Calgary (Canada), Hamilton (Bermuda), Perth (Australia) etc etc...

Various places in Sri Lanka - only one I can recall offhand is Dalhousie

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Peterhead Prison is a fantastic museum.

Especially if the old former warden that got held captive during the riot that needed the SAS is working there.

I spoke to him the last time I was there and found out that the guy who had 22 years solitary in that dedicated wing had turned up for a tour and a chat just a couple of days before hand!

Scottish triple axe killer Thomas McCulloch takes girlfriend on tour of his old cell in Peterhead jail after it was turned into museum

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/4443043/thomas-mcculloch-peterhead-jail-tour/

"McCulloch shunned a guided tour of the prison and refused to listen to a recorded walk-through — insisting he already knew his way about"  :lol:

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, Thistle Bonnet said:

I took a short detour to visit the truly unremarkable little town of Glasgow, Virginia.

Spookily, the song playing on the car radio as I drove past the town sign was Simple Minds "Don't you forget about me"

There was also a Historic Marker Sign denoting the site of the first recorded skirmish between New World Settlers and Native American Indians...probably started by "What are you looking at?"

A guy I know visited there in the last few years as well and from what I van remember I'm sure he said there is virtually nothing there. 

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Especially if the old former warden that got held captive during the riot that needed the SAS is working there.

Spoke to him again last time I was there and eventually found out that the guy who had that dedicated wing just for him had turned up for a tour a couple of days before!

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/scottish-news/4443043/thomas-mcculloch-peterhead-jail-tour/

Aye, McCulloch stays next to the bus station in Dundee now.

The guard was working the day I was there. You can see Peter Tobin's cell and the cell of the "Limbs in the Loch" murderer.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Which of the following places in Scotland have you NOT been to? Either simply post a the total number, go one further by providing a score for each (somewhat arbitrary) 'zone', or go all out and list the specific ones.

Zone A 

Zone B 

Zone C 

Zone D 

Zone E

Eta: Additionally, have you been to any places abroad that have a Scottish name, e.g.  Aberdeen (either Hong Kong or any of the million in the USA), Banff (Canada), Blantyre (Malawi), Calgary (Canada), Hamilton (Bermuda), Perth (Australia) etc etc...

A: 8
B: 7
C: 7
D: 10
E: 5

I've been to every place in all the zones except Shetland. I've only driven through Aberlour and Tongue, I don't remember stopping there.

Never been to any abroad, I've never been outside Europe.

I echo everything good said about Peterhead Prison Museum. If you're thinking of twee places like Inveraray Jail, stop. I went one quiet day with the wind howling through the halls. It scared the shite out of me. Properly grim tales, disturbingly recent. And many of these guys are still walking around.

12 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Zone A 

5 grounds

Zone B 

17 grounds

Zone C 

20 grounds

Zone D 

19 grounds (can I include Murray Park as Milngavie?)

Zone E

5 grounds

I've been to 66 football grounds in places on that list. That feels like too many.