Common Driving faux pas

Romeo

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Im that green car going to work in morning and traffic approaching from left more often than not seem to think its fine to enter roundabout ahead of/-alongside me as long as they keep to the outside lane. Almost always prostitute murdering HGV drivers 

Have to say I've been guilty of that in the past when it seems obvious where the green car is heading, only for it to swing over horn blowing at the last second towards my lane, so I don't do it anymore. Shame there's no signalling technique to indicate it. 

For me the choice of lane and use of indicators is ultimately about one thing - making it obvious where I am trying to go. The most irritating drivers are those who give the impression they are about to leave the roundabout but then at the last second turn their wheel and continue to the next exit (or maybe one after that).

So glad someone posted the Arc de Triumph, it's an absolute meltfest. Also, was delighted to find out that pedestrians crossed to the middle using the underpass, as I had the fear trusting all those mad French to actually stop at lights.

Paris in general I found fine whilst driving though, a bit of lane changing here and there but nothing hair-pullingly mental.

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I got my car written off by a prostitute murdering HGV driver ploughing into me because of exactly this at West Marketgait Dundee.

TBF to the lad there is no signage only directional arrows on the road which the traffic sits on.

I was indicating though.

That was me. As soon as I saw the Dundee Utd sticker you were claimed. 

9 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

I'd add that Asda Summerston can be a great laugh for folk ignoring no entry signs, have seen it happen a few times.

Asda Summerston is also exciting when you head for the exit, as people love driving over empty spaces in a race to be first out

12 hours ago, philpy said:

Who remembers Frank booth and gaz's argument regarding hand signals if indicators aren't working emoji23.png

I do - can't recall all the gory details, mind you. I suppose the thread went in one of Div's culls.

The roundabout at Asda Robsoyton is a pain in the fucking tits. Road markings say that the right hand lane is for entry to Monument drive only. Left hand lane for B765 south, Hill Road and B765 North. The B765 North has two lanes and every fucking time some c**t in the right hand lane tries to beat the queue in the left hand lane and cuts you off by exiting on the B765 North instead of their only allowed exit of Monument Drive.

That being said, here's somethign that Mr's Mathematics and I disagree about: If you are in the left-hand lane, but turning right (as per the signage), would you indicate right?

image.png.a4f65e161ef9779771801c0abe3ed5ce.png

Edited by mathematics

14 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:.

left hand lane = left or straight ahead (second exit)

Right hand lane = straight ahead or third and fourth exits

end of discussion 

left hand lane for third exit = go to hospital or jail

Cadgers brae roundabout you go straight from left lane and only use the right hand lane to go round to the M9. 

D5FAC041-E687-4704-AD61-210AC79878F6.jpeg

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

So glad someone posted the Arc de Triumph, it's an absolute meltfest. Also, was delighted to find out that pedestrians crossed to the middle using the underpass, as I had the fear trusting all those mad French to actually stop at lights.

Paris in general I found fine whilst driving though, a bit of lane changing here and there but nothing hair-pullingly mental.

IIRC Roundabouts in the UK were originally designed so that drivers on the roundabout gave way to somebody coming on to it but quickly changed to the more effecient approach. I think the chaos at the Arc de Triumph is a deliberate tourist attraction. The Arch of Triumph in Pyongyang does not have the same problem!

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

The roundabout at Asda Robsoyton is a pain in the fucking tits. Road markings say that the right hand lane is for entry to Monument drive only. Left hand lane for B765 south, Hill Road and B765 North. The B765 North has two lanes and every fucking time some c**t in the right hand lane tries to beat the queue in the left hand lane and cuts you off by exiting on the B765 North instead of their only allowed exit of Monument Drive.

That being said, here's somethign that Mr's Mathematics and I disagree about: If you are in the left-hand lane, but turning right (as per the signage), would you indicate right?

image.png.a4f65e161ef9779771801c0abe3ed5ce.png

That reminded me of the HGV delivery dock which I thought was at Asda Robroyston but upon a quick look up it's actually at Bearsden. 

You drive underground to the dock which has no space to turn so they put a turntable in it to turn the truck around 180 degrees, do the delivery then drive straight back out the way you came in. Fascinating. 

Nothing to do with roundabouts of course but here's a video of the turntable in action for anyone that is even remotely interested. 

https://ukmine.info/vid/NVZrdFpfTVRyYVk/15m-hgv-turntable-asda-bearsden.html

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Do they have roundabouts in Germany? I'm sure I heard a while back that they don't. 

Before anyone starts their shite, I am well aware that Paris is in France but Stellaboz resides in Germany so that's why I'm asking. 

Thank you. 

13 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Do they have roundabouts in Germany? I'm sure I heard a while back that they don't. 

Before anyone starts their shite, I am well aware that Paris is in France but Stellaboz resides in Germany so that's why I'm asking. 

Thank you. 

Eh, yes. Yes there are roundabouts in Germany. I live very close to a small one, seems to work fine.

However, they don't throw up a bunch of stupid mini versions here which they have in the UK. 

The problem here is that I had to quickly remember that when when turning right at  traffic lights, to give way to pedestrians crossing the road because the green man will be showing for them, nearly plowed down a couple of people before it sunk in. 

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Eh, yes. Yes there are roundabouts in Germany. I live very close to a small one, seems to work fine.

However, they don't throw up a bunch of stupid mini versions here which they have in the UK. 

The problem here is that I had to quickly remember that when when turning right at  traffic lights, to give way to pedestrians crossing the road because the green man will be showing for them, nearly plowed down a couple of people before it sunk in. 

I'll need to be chinning my old man for talking shite then. 

The green man can be on when turning right or left at traffic lights here as well. First time I found out I was sat in left lane on a red light, filter light came on to go left, I got round the corner and a load of carefree people crossing the road. I'm glad I spotted the green man before I jumped on the horn and told them to get to f**k off the road. I could have looked a bit silly. 

On the subject of roundabouts, have noticed down here that a lot now have black barriers up on the right hand side, so when you are coming up to entering the roundabout, you have to slow down, as you can't see anything to your right until you are at the line.

11 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

On the subject of roundabouts, have noticed down here that a lot now have black barriers up on the right hand side, so when you are coming up to entering the roundabout, you have to slow down, as you can't see anything to your right until you are at the line.

Similar concern as the Ontario Level Crossing Paradox but  I doubt anybody has anything to say about level crossings so I will leave it at that.

You've also got the problem of drivers unused to the area not sure what exit to take until they're on the roundabout, the signage isn't always that clear and can be easy to miss on the approach.
This is the thing most drivers forget about it get frustrated about and it's completely natural (as we're all selfish really).

I've often found myself in parts of Glasgow at a busy time and you just need that extra second or two but it don't get it. Folk who know the roads want to get through as quickly as possible - which is me driving about Dundee.

Drivers eh? We're all inconsiderate fannies sometimes.

I've got a weird roundabout near me where there's two minor exits before the main straight ahead exit which is the third exit. There's also a minor fourth exit which is clearly a right turn but the straight through is a kind of dog leg right - you're still going straight on to the same main road (strathmartine rd in Dundee btw - at Doc Stewart's).

There are kind of two lanes as you approach but it's tight and it's generally a 50/50 guess whether folk who want to stay on the straight ahead dogleg right road approach in the left or right lane. My theory tells me that you should be in the right hand lane but it feels fairly normal to go straight ahead from the left hand lane as well.

I've seen a few hairy moments as two cars both want to take the exit from different lanes (it goes back into single file quite quickly).

I generally approach in the middle of the two lanes to make sure no c**t tries to overtake - but I'm usually going at a decent lick so it's not an issue.

There’s few things more infuriating than sitting waiting to go on a roundabout and a car comes round with no signal on and exits on their left just before you. A simple signal would let me know you’re getting off and I can go.

But aye mini roundabouts are pointless 9/10. There’s one in Alloway and for some reason people forget how they work when approaching. Plenty of times I’ve got to it and folk are just sitting waiting for the other person to make a move.

I always wonder how folk that are completely unable to navigate a roundabout properly, without leaving a trail of horn beeping carnage in their wake, managed to pass a driving test?

Tbh it’s not hard to pass a driving test. Especially when you live in a smaller area like I do where there’s almost f**k all to do.

Thinking back I was a pretty shite driver and still passed my test. I like to think I’m better now.