Common Driving faux pas

Romeo

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

You can. You're not supposed to, but I've seen it happen on more than one occasion. 

I'm of the "indicate if you're making a turn" line of thought here on roundabouts. Why assume that others will know what you're doing when all you need to do is move your left hand slightly to let them know for sure.

Yes physically you can but the police would pull you over for it. It’s really dangerous.

11 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Only in the last decade or so have driving instructors been telling people in the blue car to needlessly indicate. 

Where are you getting that information from, because it's simply not true.

That blue car indicating coming off that roundabout is courtesy to the grey car to avoid them playing a guessing game of which way he's going to go. There's no lanes on the roundabout to indicate that he's likely to be exiting where he does. With the amount of clowns about who don't indicate, the blue car signalling where he's going avoids any doubt and lets the traffic flow. 

Just use your fucking indicators, people. 

36 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

If you’re the silver car you give way to the green and ignore the blue because it’s not going any further than the second exit. For multi exit roundabouts yes you need to indicate but they’re usually controlled by traffic lights. If the blue car follows the green car round then they are asking for trouble as they are in the wrong lane completely and should indicate right to signal a mistake. 
Only in the last decade or so have driving instructors been telling people in the blue car to needlessly indicate. It’s usually women or learner drivers who do this.

What is inconsiderate is e.g. the green car not indicating left and making the orange car stop completely for no reason. 

The blue car driver is a total noob.

left hand lane = left or straight ahead (second exit)

Right hand lane = straight ahead or third and fourth exits

end of discussion 

left hand lane for third exit = go to hospital or jail

Yeah I think we’ll stick with the Highway Code rather than your made up rules. 

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

If you’re the silver car you give way to the green and ignore the blue because it’s not going any further than the second exit. For multi exit roundabouts yes you need to indicate but they’re usually controlled by traffic lights. If the blue car follows the green car round then they are asking for trouble as they are in the wrong lane completely and should indicate right to signal a mistake. 
Only in the last decade or so have driving instructors been telling people in the blue car to needlessly indicate. It’s usually women or learner drivers who do this.

What is inconsiderate is e.g. the green car not indicating left and making the orange car stop completely for no reason. 

The blue car driver is a total nob.

left hand lane = left or straight ahead (second exit)

Right hand lane = straight ahead or third and fourth exits

end of discussion 

left hand lane for third exit = go to hospital or jail

Bloody hell.  I'm colour blind.  No wonder I have been doing it wrong!

Also, what if I don't drive a blue car?

7 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It’s easier in Falkirk because you can hear the banjos playing before you see the horse.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but I’m sure it sounded funny in your wee pea brain. 

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You've also got the problem of drivers unused to the area not sure what exit to take until they're on the roundabout, the signage isn't always that clear and can be easy to miss on the approach.

Good point. As well as the fact that there are certain roundabouts where you are permitted to turn right in the left lane if there are arrows on the road telling you you can. 

I remember a massively overweight taxi driver telling me years ago that he preferred nightshift as there is less traffic on the road and he didn't have to indicate as much. Below is actual footage of my reaction when he told me. Before my sex change obvz. 

source (1).gif

• When taking any exit from the 6 o’clock to the 12 o’clock position, motorists should approach in the left-hand lane
  • When taking any exit between the 12 o’clock to the 6 o’clock positions, motorists should approach in the right-hand lane 
  • If there are road markings showing you what lane you should be in, follow those

Alloa is an exception to normal towns as usually the right hand lane is for straight ahead which is really odd.

If you think about the third exit beyond 12 o’clock 

Coming across on the right hand lane and someone took the left they would need to cut you up to exit. It’s wrong dammit!

48 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
  • When taking any exit from the 6 o’clock to the 12 o’clock position, motorists should approach in the left-hand lane
  • When taking any exit between the 12 o’clock to the 6 o’clock positions, motorists should approach in the right-hand lane 
  • If there are road markings showing you what lane you should be in, follow those

Alloa is an exception to normal towns as usually the right hand lane is for straight ahead which is really odd.

If you think about the third exit beyond 12 o’clock 

Coming across on the right hand lane and someone took the left they would need to cut you up to exit. It’s wrong dammit!

if I've been following the thread right for the last few pages then what you've posted is fine just there, but

lane positioning =/= use of indicators.

Taking an exit then you should use a left indicator (once you're past the last exit that you're not taking, if applicable) if it's going to benefit another road user afaik.

If you're taking the first exit at a roundabout then you should generally be in the leftmost lane and have the left indicator on when approaching the lane (edit: I'm not sure you'd absolutely have to have it on but seeing as you're taking the first available exit anyway, it makes it incredibly clear what your intentions are which can help pedestrians and other road users that, seeing as its a roundabout, might not be immediately visible but would still benefit. Think you're better indicating when it might be unnecessary than not doing it at all tbh.)

If you're going for the second exit then put the left indicator on once you're past the first exit (right indicator shouldn't be on generally; in fact I'm not sure if there's any time you'd have an indicator on approaching the roundabout if you're going for a second exit, since it might make people think you're either taking an exit or looking to switch lanes - Canniesburn Toll roundabout maybe, right indicator in the right lane? I think it's left turn only in the left lane, right lane for any exit past the first, so if you're in the left lane and not taking the first exit ya dun goofed.) to show you're exiting the roundabout.

Would add as a faux pax that I do see folk where it's clearly indicated on the road as right only or left only in a lane not doing so and ignoring the road markings, which are incredibly important to pay attention to. There's a roundabout at Dumbarton where the leftmost lane is left turn only towards the town centre, but people either don't notice or fall in the trap of just assuming they can go straight ahead in the left lane. It's on the road clear enough, but I think it's something you can't pick up on from the road sign and might be in a routine of doing as standard elsewhere.

I'd add that Asda Summerston can be a great laugh for folk ignoring no entry signs, have seen it happen a few times.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, it's not difficult. Unfortunately you can't rely on people signalling correctly or being in the right lane, so the grey car would have to wait for the blue car to turn off if he didn't signal to be sure he wasn't turning right.

highway-code-rule-185.jpg

Im that green car going to work in morning and traffic approaching from left more often than not seem to think its fine to enter roundabout ahead of/-alongside me as long as they keep to the outside lane. Almost always prostitute murdering HGV drivers 

2 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Good point. As well as the fact that there are certain roundabouts where you are permitted to turn right in the left lane if there are arrows on the road telling you you can. 

I got my car written off by a prostitute murdering HGV driver ploughing into me because of exactly this at West Marketgait Dundee.

TBF to the lad there is no signage only directional arrows on the road which the traffic sits on.

I was indicating though.