Common Driving faux pas

Romeo

42 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

If you're in the left lane you cant go beyond straight ahead it's pointless.
People dont know how to drive round roundabouts.

The Spanish approach is to go on the outside lane all the way around the roundabout. You check to your left and see the guy doing 60mph heading for the exit and think it's ok to go - but the c**t keeps coming round!

57 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

If you're in the left lane you cant go beyond straight ahead it's pointless.

You can. You're not supposed to, but I've seen it happen on more than one occasion. 

I'm of the "indicate if you're making a turn" line of thought here on roundabouts. Why assume that others will know what you're doing when all you need to do is move your left hand slightly to let them know for sure.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

True but they still need to signal.

Aye, it's not difficult. Unfortunately you can't rely on people signalling correctly or being in the right lane, so the grey car would have to wait for the blue car to turn off if he didn't signal to be sure he wasn't turning right.

highway-code-rule-185.jpg

1 hour ago, Dee Man said:

The magic roundabout in Swindon would blow some driver's minds. Five mini-roundabouts surrounding a large roundabout which works surprisingly well, although it doesn't look like that in the picture due to the fuckwits at the bottom blocking the exit. 

images (48).jpeg

I'll have nightmares about that.

Paris freaks me out. They seem to do whatever the f**k they want on roundabouts there. Looking at the state of some of the cars it must apply to driving in general. The last time I was there some guy got out his car in the middle of the Champs-Elysees to go back and shout and another guy. They were holding up the entire area just screaming at each other before retreating back to their cars and continuing like nothing had happened.

I knew someone who would accelerate straight over the top of them all as some sort of militant anti-roundabout protest. His missus used to go anti-clockwise on regular roundabouts if she was taking the last exit. Had a few knicker-wetting moments in their car.

When I started reading this thread I had a really good example to give but I didn't want to post without checking nobody else had posted similar.

Now that I've got to the end of the thread I can't remember what my example was going to be.

When I started reading this thread I had a really good example to give but I didn't want to post without checking nobody else had posted similar.
Now that I've got to the end of the thread I can't remember what my example was going to be.
Roundabouts are for peasants?

Agree mini-roundabouts are horrendous. An infuriating amount of people, intending to go straight, approach them signaling right, only to change it to signal left in the 0.2 seconds it takes to drive through the junction. Happens regularly near my house, half the time theyve been so focused on changing their indication you see them sway a bit as they clearly can't deal with having one hand off the wheel.

I've absolutely no idea why they struggle with the idea of indicating left for left, right for right, and neither for straight, it's incredibly simple.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Agree mini-roundabouts are horrendous. An infuriating amount of people approach them signaling right, only to change it to signal left in the 0.2 seconds it takes to drive through the junction. Happens regularly near my house, half the time theyve been so focused on changing their indication you see them sway a bit as they clearly can't deal with having one hand off the wheel.

Who takes their hands off the wheel to indicate?

Just now, Dee Man said:

Who takes their hands off the wheel to indicate?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

having one hand off the wheel

Can only assume they're driving with both hands on the wheel, and when one comes off the indicate, they cant keep driving straight until both hands are on the wheel again.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can only assume they're driving with both hands on the wheel, and when one comes off the indicate, they cant keep driving straight until both hands are on the wheel again.

Again though, what sort of mentalist takes their hand off the wheel to indicate? Surely unless you have stumps for fingers or the indicator stalk is a metre away, you just flick it with a finger or two while still holding the wheel.

No wonder you nearly wiped out three families at the Broxden the other week. 

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Again though, what sort of mentalist takes their hand off the wheel to indicate? Surely unless you have stumps for fingers or the indicator stalk is a metre away, you just flick it with a finger or two while still holding the wheel.

Youd have to ask them, seeing as I'm not in the car with them m8.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youd have to ask them, seeing as I'm not in the car with them m8.

Give me their numbers. I'll give them a ring and hopefully they'll answer while driving and fly into a ditch. 

I had a French girlfriend whose wee Citroen was just a mess of dings and scrapes and taped on cracked bumpers. She'd parallel park in the most impossible looking gaps, left me a nervous wreck! There's something to admire about a people so untroubled by the nick of their cars.
I'm the same. Funnily enough when we were there my Mrs was commenting about the state of some cars and said it would drive her nuts. She said "you'd be happy driving around like that wouldn't you?". She was correct. If she gets a bit of dirt on hers she's worked up. I really couldn't give a shit how mine looks.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, it's not difficult. Unfortunately you can't rely on people signalling correctly or being in the right lane, so the grey car would have to wait for the blue car to turn off if he didn't signal to be sure he wasn't turning right.

highway-code-rule-185.jpg

If you’re the silver car you give way to the green and ignore the blue because it’s not going any further than the second exit. For multi exit roundabouts yes you need to indicate but they’re usually controlled by traffic lights. If the blue car follows the green car round then they are asking for trouble as they are in the wrong lane completely and should indicate right to signal a mistake. 
Only in the last decade or so have driving instructors been telling people in the blue car to needlessly indicate. It’s usually women or learner drivers who do this.

What is inconsiderate is e.g. the green car not indicating left and making the orange car stop completely for no reason. 

The blue car driver is a total noob.

left hand lane = left or straight ahead (second exit)

Right hand lane = straight ahead or third and fourth exits

end of discussion 

left hand lane for third exit = go to hospital or jail

Edited by D.A.F.C