Common Driving faux pas

Romeo

There’s a mini roundabout near me whereby the side which has priority is rather ambiguous.

It makes for some excellent viewing, like a Mexican stand-off, but for two shitebags in Fiat Puntos.

I've got a dangerous habit of just looking right when accelerating onto a roundabout, not realising a car that has just passed has braked or swung left. Not actually hit anyone yet but have been frighteningly close.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I always wonder how folk that are completely unable to navigate a roundabout properly, without leaving a trail of horn beeping carnage in their wake, managed to pass a driving test?

Might sound a strange question but is it always part of the test in the UK? I never bothered learning when I lived at home but have been taking lessons over here for the last 6 weeks or so. Was surprised to find out that motorway driving is not part of the test back home. First 2 lessons apart, I've been getting taken out onto the motorway every time over here.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Might sound a strange question but is it always part of the test in the UK? I never bothered learning when I lived at home but have been taking lessons over here for the last 6 weeks or so. Was surprised to find out that motorway driving is not part of the test back home. First 2 lessons apart, I've been getting taken out onto the motorway every time over here.

Depends if there are any roundabouts where you sit your test. As well as motorway driving, if there are any nearby, there should be night time driving at least in lessons before your test. I thought driving in the dark was impossibly difficult until someone pointed out I was only using the sidelights. Also learning to avoid staring at oncoming headlights.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Depends if there are any roundabouts where you sit your test. As well as motorway driving, if there are any nearby, there should be night time driving at least in lessons before your test. I thought driving in the dark was impossibly difficult until someone pointed out I was only using the sidelights. Also learning to avoid staring at oncoming headlights.

I'm taking lessons with 2 different instructors. One I use during the day in the city I am working in, the second at night where I live. The night time driving thing  should definitely be part of the package, the difference between driving in the day and at night is huge. Last night the rain was almost biblical as well. Horrendous conditions for driving, I was shitting myself most of the time but also glad to have got a bit of practice in under those circumstances.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

As far as I know you must go round at least one "spiral" round about although not sure how it works for those passing their tests in the islands as I doubt many will be big enough for a proper spiral roundabout.

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

Why do people struggle with mini roundabouts and not realise they operate the same as larger roundabouts?

I see this all the time at a mini roundabout near me.

Mainly with women.

Why do folk take a shortcut over the mini roundabouts, when turning right or going straight on ?  

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

I don't remember encountering a roundabout on my driving test around Anniesland, which was admittedly many many years ago.

Edited by The Nightfly

The mini roundabout thing is annoying, it's usually anyone middle age who seems to just completely shit themselves and cause chaos.

Another thing is people who get into supermarket car parks and seem liberated from the conventional rules of the road and start driving like fannies. I mean, I get it, I'm not a total stickler for the rules but there are times where you're maybe pulling out of a space with restricted sight and it's not helpful if the place is moderately busy and someone enters from a direction which you aren't anticipating. I'm thinking more people who ignore very blatant one way restrictions or use free space to drive over a few spaces to relieve the hassle of delicately maneuvering their fucking massive corsa round a corner

Edited by harry94

Just now, harry94 said:

The mini roundabout thing is annoying, it's usually anyone middle age who seems to just completely shit themselves and cause chaos.

Another thing is people who get into supermarket car parks and seem liberated from the conventional rules of the road and start driving like fannies. I mean, I get it, I'm not a total stickler for the rules but there are times where you're maybe pulling out of a space with restricted sight and it's not helpful if the place is moderately busy and someone enters from a direction which you aren't anticipating. I'm thinking more people who ignore very blatant one way restrictions or use free space to drive over a few spaces to it'll relieve the hassle of delicately maneuvering their fucking massive corsa round a corner

This also applies to pedestrians. It just seems that as soon as you enter a car park, rules no longer apply.