Motherwell v Aberdeen

46 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

His what now? 

His regulation goal, min!

I mean, he hasn't scored against Motherwell in two years, and has two goals in his last 11 appearances against us, but the regulation goal is imminent I feel...

Ironically enough, this Sunday will be twenty years to the day of that debacle(at least from a Motherwell point of view) of a match.
I know some Motherwell fans like to look back on that game in some kind of awe, but it truly was a horrendous and embarrassing night for our club and there was nothing to celebrate at all. Before that game Aberdeen had picked up one point all season and scored only two goals having lost 7-0 at Parkhead on the Saturday befofehand, indeed they were a national laughing stock. Yet they rolled into Fir Park that night and put six past us. Absolutely criminal from us and to make matters worse, you had and still do get some Motherwell fans going "aww but I really enjoyed that game, great spectacle for the neutral, great entertainment, bla bla bla". Talk like that absolutely infuriates me from our fans and it reeks to high heavens of a losers mentality.
We LOST that game in the most embarrassing of manners possible, there was nothing to take from that in terms of enjoyment.

Interesting.

I always feel we do better against Aberdeen when we are the underdogs. However, this time I’d see us as slight favourites.

Aberdeen are more than capable of grinding out a one goal win here. As always the first goal is crucial. I’m going 1-0 to Motherwell with Sherwin scoring a screamer.

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

Embarrassing more like. For MJC to criticise anyone for a losers mentality is the funniest thing I have read on here for a wee while......

The difference being though that I don't merrily accept the club having a losers mentality. I may be a bit negative but it's up to the club to give me reasons to be positive, not the other way around. On the other hand we have a core in our support who thrive on us being the underdogs, us "punching above our weight", and that is, in my opinion, an attitude that holds the club back. 

13 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I always feel we do better against Aberdeen when we are the underdogs. However, this time I’d see us as slight favourites.

Aberdeen are more than capable of grinding out a one goal win here. As always the first goal is crucial. I’m going 1-0 to Motherwell with Sherwin scoring a screamer.

The bookies agree. Well 11/8, Aberdeen 9/5

15 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Aye. The 3-0 at FP after the November international break last season followed the 7-1 shellacking we took at Ibrox (though we'd won the 2 prior to that shitshow).

The 3-0 LC QF was after the 2-2 draw at Easter Road (having been 2-0 down) and we'd lost 0-2 against Aberdeen at Fir Park shortly before the SC Semi (and drew 0-0 with St Johnstone in the game between those fixtures).

Unless something wild happens at Parkhead and County properly f**k Lennon's shit up a win here would put us 7 points clear of both Aberdeen and County while Livi and Killie play each other. It's obviously a massive opportunity  but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if there wasn't this "Aberdeen are underperforming, McInnes GTF" chat tbh. It feels like our better results have come when McInnes has possibly underestimated us.

Since Robinson took over his record against Aberdeen is:
11/03/17 - Aberdeen 1 (McGinn 90+2) - 0 Motherwell
21/09/17 - Motherwell 3 (Moult 13, 85; Hartley 19) - 0 Aberdeen (LC QF)
24/09/17 - Motherwell 0 - 1 Aberdeen (Considine 57)
18/11/17 - Aberdeen 0 - 2 Motherwell (Moult 42, 54)
03/04/18 - Motherwell 0 - 2 Aberdeen (Arnason 65, McLean 68)
14/04/18 - Motherwell 3 (Main 20, 66 Bowman 22)- 0 Aberdeen (SC SF)
22/09/18 - Aberdeen 1 (Wilson 6) - 0 Motherwell
24/11/18 - Motherwell 3 (Johnson 25, 30; Turnbull 54) - 0 Aberdeen
03/04/19 - Aberdeen 3 (Lowe 4, McGinn 71, 90+7) - 1 Motherwell (Hastie 36)

So P: 9 W: 4 D : 0 L: 5 F: 12 A: 8 - LWLWLWLWL with Considine getting his regulation goal in precisely 1 (ONE) of those 9 (NINE) games but McGinn's scored 3 of their 8 goals. Hartley and Turnbull are the only two of our scorers still at the club.

No draws and only 1 BTTS as well.

Edited by capt_oats

On the fence as to whether or not to attend. Almost certain to pick the wrong option either way, so may as well take one for the team and sack it off. If we lose, you’ll know I’m there.
Wilson and Cosgrove up top together please, let’s see what he can actually do for a few games in a row.

Feels like our biggest league game in years tbh.

As shite as two out of the three might be, beating Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in the first quarter and going seven points clear in 3rd would be massive. 

The league in general is so weak this year that I think we'll almost definitely finish top six if we win on Saturday. A ~9 point gap on 7th obviously isn't unassailable but barring a total meltdown from us I don't really see 4 teams going on a run and catching up.

Bearing all that in mind, 2-0 Aberdeen.

Just got back from the AFC ticket office. There was a large pile of unsold Motherwell tickets sitting on the counter.

Guess that not many folk can be arsed with this one.

I’m away, or would be at this. Enjoy a trip to Motherwell. I like them as a club, and their fans are a decent bunch.

That said, the b*****ds will beat us this time.

17 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Feels like our biggest league game in years tbh.

As shite as two out of the three might be, beating Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen in the first quarter and going seven points clear in 3rd would be massive. 

The league in general is so weak this year that I think we'll almost definitely finish top six if we win on Saturday. A ~9 point gap on 7th obviously isn't unassailable but barring a total meltdown from us I don't really see 4 teams going on a run and catching up.

Bearing all that in mind, 2-0 Aberdeen.

Which one are you claiming to be good?

No reason to be pessimistic with how we've been playing of late - and how we dispatched of both Edinburgh sides already this season. Add on to the fact that Aberdeen this season don't seem to have clicked yet and have a mountain of injuries - particularly in midfield - you'd be putting your money on a home win.

As noted though, you don't have to look too far back to find instances of Aberdeen turning up to FP and "shitfesting" a result against us. So a definitely understandable cautious view of things on this game from Motherwell fans. 

Fancy us to get a result though, and maybe even see Polworth get on the scoresheet this time round. 2-0 Motherwell.

Ironically enough, this Sunday will be twenty years to the day of that debacle(at least from a Motherwell point of view) of a match.
I know some Motherwell fans like to look back on that game in some kind of awe, but it truly was a horrendous and embarrassing night for our club and there was nothing to celebrate at all. Before that game Aberdeen had picked up one point all season and scored only two goals having lost 7-0 at Parkhead on the Saturday befofehand, indeed they were a national laughing stock. Yet they rolled into Fir Park that night and put six past us. Absolutely criminal from us and to make matters worse, you had and still do get some Motherwell fans going "aww but I really enjoyed that game, great spectacle for the neutral, great entertainment, bla bla bla". Talk like that absolutely infuriates me from our fans and it reeks to high heavens of a losers mentality.
We LOST that game in the most embarrassing of manners possible, there was nothing to take from that in terms of enjoyment.
Totally surreal. I was there. My daughter 'watched' it on teletext. Got a wee reminder of it a couple of months back... FB_IMG_1571400699150.jpeg