Stranraer v Dumbarton 19/10/19

9 hours ago, thomas 62 said:

Should be a closer tie as The Sons are a man short, Craig Napier is been listed as 4th official at Aberdeen this Saturday. Hope it’s not meant as a promotion for him.

Eh? Craig Napier's only refereed us once this season, in the Challenge Cup defeat to St Mirren.

Just now, Silverton End said:

An excellent away point today.

#playoffcontenders

I'd like to dedicate my "Last Man Standing" competition win to Sons fans everywhere

😎

No lack of effort but decided lack of quality by both teams today. Our defence was solid with Brennan, Neil and Hutton particularly good.  Isaac tried hard, but had little or no support with Crossan and Frizzell contributing next to nothing.

Stranraer had more of the ball, but their finishing efforts were poor at best. Happy enough with a point all things cosidered.

Highlight of the day was catching the 5.00 train back to Glasgow with forty seconds to spare!!

An excellent away point today.
#playoffcontenders
I'd like to dedicate my "Last Man Standing" competition win to Sons fans everywhere
[emoji41]
I dunno. I reckon if we have playoff aspirations that's the kind of game we should be looking to take all 3 points.

We finished the game with Tierney, McCluskey and Shiels on the pitch in place of Layne, Langan and PJ Crossan and for me that highlights one of our major issues at the minute - a real lack of depth. We just don't have anyone on the bench who can come on and make a difference.

Layne's purple patch seems to be over, we desperately need another striker, preferably announced at 00:00 on the 1st of January 2020.

3 unbeaten now for THE BLUES.

A bit of positivity surely now!!!!!

Long way to go in this league.

We are not being left a foot at the bottom.

Just need a wee run.

Still think GOALS will 

be our biggest problem but I know SF will have the boys believing.

KEEP THE FAITH

CMON THE BLUES.!!! B

8 minutes ago, dusty bin said:

3 unbeaten now for THE BLUES.

A bit of positivity surely now!!!!!

Long way to go in this league.

We are not being left a foot at the bottom.

Just need a wee run.

Still think GOALS will 

be our biggest problem but I know SF will have the boys believing.

KEEP THE FAITH

CMON THE BLUES.!!! B

More accurately, we're not getting beat.......

but others are getting the occasional win, and slowly creeping away .

Anyway, one point today, so +

This is probably the thread the game deserves in all honesty, because it really wasn't great at all. There was plenty of hard work, blood and guts, but very little quality in the final third on display from either team. We could've played all day and it was difficult to see anyone scoring.

Layne was a handful and had a decent game, but my God is he missing some golden chances just now. You've got to give him credit for being in the right position more often than not, but if he could finish like Calum Gallagher then he'd be on double figures already this season. Defensively we looked fine, I thought Hutton had a smashing game in central-midfield and Frizzell looked a threat every time he got the ball...the only unfortunate thing was that he only got it about six times all game -  up front is where we've got a problem if Layne can't get back into his early season form.

To be brutally honest I don't think Tierney or McCluskey are anywhere near effective enough to take his place, and he doesn't deserve dropped - but he really does have to find a wee bit extra sharpness in front of goal again.

As for Stranraer? Well there not dissimilar to ourselves really, albeit I think we maybe have a wee bit more quality with guys like McKee, Frizzell, Hutton, Carswell and Crossan. Andy Stirling and James Hilton both looked lively, but aside from them it was difficult to see where a breakthrough was going to come from - and I just don't see many goals in that side at all. Defensively they looked far, far better than earlier in the season though. And I can only assume that was down to Jamie Hamill not featuring.

Anyway, a first clean sheet in the league this season, so I can't complain too much. 

Match report is here if anyone really wants to relive it - https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/stranraer-0-0-dumbarton-keepers-20656294